PDA

View Full Version : THINKING about selling

Okie Boarder
11-27-2012, 06:01 PM
The wife and I were talking about the possibility of selling the boat and doing a different hobby with the boys. We want to gauge the decision based on this upcoming season. The boys and her have both lost some interest in boarding and being on the lake. My thought is maybe we would have a little more fun switching over to camping and four wheelers.

Anyhow, just throwing it out there. Any suggestions on places to advertise, if we do it? I know we can do CL and Boat Trader, plus there are a few others out there. Any particular ones that you would recommend?

Jetlink
11-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Onlyinboards.com is how I found my comp...

haugy
11-27-2012, 06:23 PM
I sold mine through Craigslist, but garnered attention from the serious buyers by also having it listed (basically) on Onlyinboards.com Once they saw it wasn't just in one place they knew I was serious.

What sold my boat. Pictures. Pictures. Pictures. I had very clean, uncluttered, large pictures, OF EVERYTHING. Drop them into photobucket, and then post them on the CL ad. Forget that stupid auto-loader for their pictures that are low-resolution and compressed to crap.

I can show you how if you need to. But that is what will sell your boat for what you want. I know your boat Okie, and it's a damn fine looker. So take some clean pictures of it. Go out to a parking lot where there is nothing around if you have to. JonyB used to do that with his boat, and it really made it stand out as it was the only thing in the frame.

Explain why you have your number on it. If you have pictures of your stringer repair, put them in so they know you are real. I would never trust anyone who said "i did the stringers", and then had no proof of it. I would assume he did a half-assed job, if any job at all.

With your boat, I'd wait till Spring. It's a great boat, and worth every penny you'll ask for it. So wait until you get those people are getting the itch, and are starting to plan their tax return money. Early March is when I would start to list it. Plus, then it can be de-winterized and running and you don't have to worry about rewinterizing everytime someone comes to look at it.

I hate to see you sell her, after all the work you put in, but that's how it goes, I understand.

Okie Boarder
11-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Good ideas. I have tons of pics of the stringer job...like hundreds, so that will be a good way to represent it if the time comes. I talked to the wife about us going through this next season and really taking a hard look at how we are enjoying it as a family. If we feel it is time for a change, we'll prep it for selling.

TitanTn
11-27-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear this conversation is in the works, but I understand. I will predict that even if you do get out of boating now, you'll be back. If that sounds even remotely true, then maybe try to combine a new interest of camping with boating. We have a 33' camper and ATVs also. It's not always feasible to do both at the same time, but we try as much as possible. If we had to give up one thing it would probably be the camper. You'll do what you need to do, but I hope there's a way you can add some variety to your hobby and stay in the boating circle.

Admittedly this is a little biased on my part...

86 century
11-28-2012, 05:21 AM
We do all of the above camping,boating and the off road toys.

The camping and boating or off-roading go together real well for us.

We spent every weekend this past summer either at the lake or and off road park somewhere.
Our rv get one hell of a workout this summer come to think of it we didn't spend one weekend night at home all summer then you through in two week long trips we damned near spent as much time in the rv as we did at home.

What I am trying to say is do both. To many days or weeks in a row on the water can get old for someone that isn't truly obsessed with being on the water.

The off road trips once a months help to break up the summer so its not the same old thing over and over.

haugy
11-28-2012, 10:08 AM
What you need to do is build a custom gooseneck trailer. With a flat deck on the front half, and a boat carrier on the back. Take the 4-wheelers and the boat with you!

Go out to some nice lake with woods around it, and be able to do both. :D

I feel you on the being with family. I hope my son takes the same interests I do. It's the most important thing for him to be my lil buddy. I'd hate to see you sell it, but like others, I understand.

Video is also a helpful tool with selling your boat. Take a video of you starting it up, and letting it run just to show it's operating properly and runs smooth. While that's nice and all, you really want people to hear the rumble, as for most buyers that's a plus. Every now and then you'll get some wife who doesn't like it. Big deal. Plus a nice walk around really helps paint a pretty picture while the engine is running.

Okie Boarder
11-28-2012, 07:06 PM
We aren't in a position to do multiple costly hobbies right now since we are on one income and the wife is in school. That may be possible in the future and I can see us getting another boat later on. Like I said, I see the family interest fading and sense a desire to do other things, so switching over to the camping and 4 wheeling might be a nice change of pace for a few years. She and I have decided we want to see how the boys are with the lake and boating this next season and make our decision based on that.

I'd hate to sell it after all the work, but then there is a thought that I could do it again and maybe even do it better, so that might be fun, as well.

Okie Boarder
11-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Kind of like this concept, haugy, except with a boat trailer on the back?

http://www.benzel.net/camping/rvshow2007/popup_toy_hauler.jpg

DAFF
11-28-2012, 10:11 PM
I too have the same issue. I have been camping for years with a newer 5th wheel trailer. Problem was to bring toys, needed a toy hauler but bought the trailer before the 4 wheelers. So now i have been thinking on selling the 5th wheel buying a truck camper and pulling the enclosed v nose skidoo trailer with the 4 wheelers. If this happens a nice express cruiser might be sitting in the yard too !!

Here is a nice trailer to bring the boat and machines.

http://www.tilburyautosales.com/h/trailers/details.php?v=2025

jwwalk
11-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Michigan allows you to tow what they call a recreational double. It consists of a pick up truck towing a fifth wheel with a flat trailer (boat or atvs) behind that with the restriction that the truck, fifth wheel and second trailer do not exceed 75 feet. It requires a special endorsement on the drivers license here but none-the-less it's a possibility.

TitanTn
11-29-2012, 09:48 AM
There's a good number of states that allow double towing and the list of them and their restrictions can be found here: http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

The issue is that travel trailer (and 5th wheels) do not have a substantial frame to tow anything of weight. I've double-towed some PWCs, but I'd be scared to tow something as heavy as one of our boats without some serious customization to the subframe of the middle trailer.

suprasam
11-29-2012, 10:46 AM
That double towing just looks freaky as hell! I have seen 18wheelers do it with smaller trailers, but still looks freaky! You would definitly need some additional frame set-up under the R/V trailer......and you better make sure you do not have to back out of anywhere with a double trailer. Good luck on your decision.

wotan2525
11-29-2012, 11:59 AM
There's a good number of states that allow double towing and the list of them and their restrictions can be found here: http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

The issue is that travel trailer (and 5th wheels) do not have a substantial frame to tow anything of weight. I've double-towed some PWCs, but I'd be scared to tow something as heavy as one of our boats without some serious customization to the subframe of the middle trailer.

You can expect to see my middle finger (well... if I ever find enough room to pass you) if you're doing this through the mountains of Colorado. Almost wore out my middle finger last year trying to get around these 30mph jerks.

TitanTn
11-29-2012, 12:13 PM
......and you better make sure you do not have to back out of anywhere with a double trailer. Good luck on your decision.

Yeah, let me tell you about that. I was towing double and following a friend. He had a flat on the interstate and pulled over on the shoulder. It went fairly quickly into a steep ditch, so once you pulled the rig off the road, there was no more room to your right.

I pulled up right behind his rig, and got out to help change his tire. Well, the flat tire caused something to instantly overheat with the AWD system and the SUV caught on fire. We grabbed extinguishers, but by the time we used them, the fire was too big. We now have his SUV engulfed in flames with a travel trailer behind him that had 80 lbs of propane in it. And I'm right on his trailer bumper with double trailers attached to me. And oh yeah, the SUV is a billowing inferno that could explode at any minute (and then it'd be the trailer's turn to burn and explode).

I have to back up the double rig in a hurry and under pressure. Long story short, I did manage to back up the double trailer about 100 feet. We then unhooked the travel trailer from the burning SUV (and that's about as fun as it sounds), and was able to push/pull the trailer away from the burning truck. The truck did have a small explosion and burnt to the ground.

So yeah, I agree with Suprasam, it's better to make sure you don't have to back up.

suprasam
11-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Hey Titan did you have to change your shorts afterwards? I recently had to deal with a car fire.....my son was driving to school and here is what happened with an oil leak! BTW not a great call to get heading to work " hey dad um what should I do, Im in front of the school and the car is smoking a ton" UM HOW ABOUT GET OUT OF THE CAR! (sorry to get side tracked from post)11617

Jetlink
11-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Car-b-ques are never pleasant... I used to fly traffic watch flights and every year when the temps would start to warm up there would a rash of cars catching fire. One time a semi caught fire that was carrying a bunch of hydrogen peroxide... That sucker was fierce and spitting fireballs a 1/4 miles away!!!

haugy
11-30-2012, 11:51 AM
OKIE!! I'VE GOT IT!!!

I'll tell ya what, you bring your boat down here next summer, and I'll hang on to it. Then all summer you'll know what it feels like to NOT have a boat. Then, when you realize that you miss it, all you'll have to do is come down and get it.......................

Next winter that is. :D :D :D

csuggs
12-01-2012, 10:53 AM
I've heard that the best day for a boat owner is the day you sell. I don't buy it though. For me, it's too much of a passion - always has been since I can remember. My BEST memories are from the more than 40 years I've been boating. I too would like to get back into camping, but don't want to invest in an RV to tow the boat. A truck camper would require a new truck since mine is only a half-ton. I would go for tent camping (have all the stuff in my basement) but my wife doesn't want to do that anymore . . . says her tent camping days are over. Some lakes we go to have cabins, and the river I frequent in the summer is only a mile away with a boat ramp ten minutes away. I guess I'm lucky to have a family that still enjoys it - not sure what I would do if they were not "on board".

Okie - you gotta do what you gotta do I guess, but I'd hate to see you sell and then regret the decision. You can't replace your boat for what you've got in her. Too many times I've regretted selling this or that, usually vehicles.

On a side note . . . . I have thought about selling mine, but only to buy a newer model. However with 2 boys in college and another starting in less than 2 years I think it will have to wait! No worries . . . I still love my girl!