PDA

View Full Version : Prop question

buddie
02-22-2006, 04:03 AM
Hello, I've been searching the internet for results of switching to other props for a wakeboard boat.

I would like to know if one of you have experience in swapping props, because there is an Supra Marauder 21' with a 14" diameter 14" pitch 6" cup and we would like to swap it with a 16" pitch prop for lower RPM's in cruising speed, and still enough acceleration for pulling out a mono-skieer.

Is this possible?

The gear ratio is 1,23:1, which is driven by a 5,7 liter 280 hp V8.

Thanks alot,

buddie

DKJBama92Mariah
02-22-2006, 04:46 AM
Welcome to the board!

What is your RPM and top speed at WOT (wide-open throttle) right now. I have a 14x16 with a 285hp 351 and a 1.23:1 tranny and i get about 4400rpm. If you're below this, then the prop would probably be a very good thing. If your RPMs are higher, you could (and probably should) also get away with going up in pitch. No matter what, you're gonna give up holeshot speed for higher cruising speed.

Holla back at us with some more info and maybe we can help more.

Cheers,
DKJ

Sander
02-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Hi there,
This question is regarding my boat, in fact it's driven by a 351cu PCM/Ford (carb, Protec ignition), about 260HP's. The current topspeed is around 40mph (GPS checked) without ballast, and the accelaration is amazing. Get's there really quick, just like a towboat should.
At WOT the engine is hitting 4400RPM.

I know that i will give up acceleration (that's holeshot speed? Excuse me, i'm from Europe), but when making a tour around the country it's just not comfortable constantly driving at around 4000/4200RPM. Also sucks for fuel economy.

The problem is that i'm planning to put some ballast in the boat, i already own a 600 pound Fatsac, and planning to put 220 pounds more in the stern, and 330 pounds in the bow. With this weight i don't think it's a good idea getting a 16 pitch prop right?

Picture showing some data on the prop:
http://www.sandersfotosite.nl/troep/supra/424_2422.jpg

Thanks,
Sander

buddie
02-22-2006, 08:55 AM
I guess you'll have to get yourself another boat for cruising around than :)

DKJBama92Mariah
02-22-2006, 08:27 PM
ACME props seem to always get great reviews by members of this board.

http://www.acmemarine.com/

Give them a call and fill them in on what you have and what you're looking for. They can most likely recommend one appropriate for what you need.

Cheers,
DKJ