PDA

View Full Version : wood on trailer: what to coat with?

matt k
12-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Ok, so the half-moon shaped wood bits on my trailer that keep the boat off of the wheel wells are rotted to splinters. I cut some plywood pieces to match, and I can just staple new bunk cloth over them, but I was wondering if I should coat them with CPES or something to make them last longer. Only issue is, I'm unemployed and broke, so I'd rather not spend $40 on CPES if I don't have to. Is there anything cheaper that's worthwhile? Or is it CPES or don't bother?

Were the wood bits coated with anything from the factory? (it's a factory supra comp trailer)

Jetlink
12-03-2012, 01:54 AM
I painted mine in a good oil based paint, few coats black both sides and the wrapped bunk fabric around the side that faces the boat. Should do the trick.

matt k
12-03-2012, 04:58 AM
sounds like a good plan.

wotan2525
12-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Just depends on how long before you want to do them again. Painted ply should last a few years, green treat should last a few more, CPES coated should last forever. It's all up to you.

sybrmike
12-03-2012, 07:17 PM
I used treated ply and coated with CPES, so not much help. Although I'd make sure to only carpet one side & possibly slit the carpet a few places along the bottom fold to allow the water to drain & the wood to breathe.