PDA

View Full Version : Wet Sanding

Dinoz
03-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience with wet sanding?? I am under the impression that is the best way to getting the shine back up. Wet sanding plus buffing some compounds is the best I'm told. What would the grit of sandpaper be to start with, and to finish with?

Cheers,

DZ.

vintner
03-24-2006, 09:30 AM
There was a post on 1-29-06 called Gel Coat with some info.

99 LAUNCH
03-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Make sure you have a steady stream of water running from you're water hose. This keeps the sand paper from getting clogged. Stay away from sharp edges and hard to reach areas. Stop by a auto paint store they will stear you in the right direction. There has ben some good post on WWW. Wakeworld.com discussion board under boats and accessories. I was able to buff my boat with out having to wet sand it. GOOD LUCK on you're project.;)

vintner
03-24-2006, 09:13 PM
This is excellent also: http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=69293

lowdrag
03-25-2006, 02:22 AM
Kind of on the same topic but a little different. I've used a clay bar before on my car. I know it wouldn't work very well for a boat with heavy oxidation but I'm wondering if anyone has tried it before on their boat and what the results were. I think it would be a lot easier and less of a chance of messing things up than with wet sanding but I don't know exactly what it would do. It does do a great job on a car as far as removing all of the small contaminants that attach themselves to the surface. Followed up with some good polish a couple of coats of quality wax and the paint feels like glass.