PDA

View Full Version : Backing boat trailer up an incline

10-08-2002, 04:04 PM
I am having a problem trying to back my Supra boat trailer up the driveway. The upward slope of the driveway causes the skid bar underneath the prop to dig into the driveway. This makes it impossible to back the boat into the garage. (The Supra has an inboard motor.)

I was thinking of attaching skid wheels to the bar and hope that it will ride up on them. Camping World sells skid wheels that will hold up to 10,000 pounds for $75. Is this a good or bad idea? Anyone have a similar problem? Any ideas or suggestions to solve this problem?

Andrew_Jet_Mitchell
10-08-2002, 05:07 PM
Hey greymac, The casters are a great idea, I have seen them on other trailers and thought it was a good idea. Mine also drags on the way in the drive way, so I back in at a severe angle and back the right trailer wheel up the corner of the curb (just missing the mail box) and that helps the drag by about 95% with no casters. Good Luck..

06-15-2005, 11:03 AM
MasterLock has an Adjustable Height Zero Tilt Ball Mount that made it easier to back my boat up the steep driveway. It adjusts from 7-3/4" drop to 6-1/4" rise and a 5,000 lb. trailer capacity. One the features I liked best is that you make the height adjustments with a wrench.

The product specs are on the MasterLock web site at
http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/prod_search.pl?product_number=2841AT&Go.x=12&Go.y= 2

Diggs
06-15-2005, 11:26 AM
greymac-
I had the same problem... be careful cause when you put the casters on it will raise your windshield up substantially and might hit the roof of the garage. If you are tight on clearance now, it will get much worse. Here is what I did.... yes it is a pain, but it works....Let a bunch of air out of the tire that is getting the most stress and then I slid a 2x4 with nails or notches to hold it in place under that back bar on the trailer. It will drag on the 2x4 accross the cement and lift it at the same time. Does that make sense?