PDA

View Full Version : My 84 Comp

mike84comp
04-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Let's get this category back on track. I recently bought a real nice 1984 Comp TS6M. It has the 351 PCM. Now that I have had it a few weeks I am starting to have a few questions. Fortunately most of them have answers that can be found on this forum.
Here is the link to a web page I put up to show off to family members:
http://mysite.verizon.net/res7r26a/index.html
My son and I took it out on the Colunbia River yesterday for the first time since we bought it. Just a little shakedown cruise and practice launching and loading. Backing up around the dock area proved to be a challenge. My previous boat was an aluminum v-hull with a big outboard. This is my first inboard. When moving in reverse the stern really wants ot go to the right. From what I have read here on the forums it is something I will just get used to. We're looking forward to the weather inproving so we can get out and ski.

Slaphappy
04-11-2006, 11:59 PM
Mike, that is a fine boat you found there. Appears to be in excellent condition! You might want to think about a 4-blade prop for a bit more torque. As for docking the thing, just pretend you're driving a space ship.

myturndad
04-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Mike, Very nice looking 84.

Is that the original interior. Also I noticed there is no guide poles on the trailer.

good luck and good summer.

Doug, Tulsa

mike84comp
04-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Thaks for the comments. I believe the previous owner did update or rework the upholstery some years ago. As you can see the original hull graphics are gone. There is a faint outline on the side of the hull. Since this is my first boat of this kind I have never had a trailer with guide poles. My last boat was on an EZ Loader roller trailer. Would guide poles be a worthwile investment? Does anyone have any specific recomendations? I see some listed in the Overtons catalog. Any feedback or advice would be apreciated.

mike84comp
04-13-2006, 11:09 PM
I read a post on using Photobucket so I thought I would try it myself. Here goes.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/jacobs2004/supra4_1_06016.jpg
Here is a pick of ny 84 comp.
Mike

riveredge
04-24-2006, 01:30 PM
The vertical trailer guides on the 'deep' end (back end) of the trailer are nice if you do a lot of trailering, especially when by yourself. they keep the boat lined up on the bunks while you crank it up the last couple feet. Also, they make it easier to see the trailer when backing it up w/o the boat, esp. if you tow with an SUV. I would look in trailer supplier catalogs, if you want good ones (~$150). Or, if you know a decent welder, you can just weld two short posts onto the trailer, then slip larger pipes over those, with a bolt to hold them in place. Also, pads are a good idea, at least PVC around the metal. Any marina should be able to help you out in any case.

Nice looking boat- it does look like someone spent a lot of time or money re-upholstering it, and refinishing the hull on the outside. Nice work. Have fun!

IndyMatt
04-26-2006, 09:13 AM
The guidepoles exsist only to increase trailer visibility both when trailering without the boat and for general approach when driving the boat onto the trailer. The bunks are what guides alignment, the poles are in no way going to make any difference in the 'centering' of your boat. In fact, as I can see in your pic, you already have vertical guides to properly set the stern over the bunks if you are removing on a steep ramp. As long as you can see your trailer when you are backing it down the ramp then your need for poles is mostly cosmetic.

riveredge
04-27-2006, 03:19 PM
The vertical guides do help keep the boat centered if loading on a steep ramp, or especially if loading on the edge of a river with current, or strong wind. Mostly, when driving the boat toward the trailer to line it up, they can help a little if the current or wind pushes you sideways. It's hard to make side-to-side corrections and crank the boat up at the same time by yourself.

With this trailer, Indymatt is right, those guides seen in the picture are probably enough. Especially as you pull out of the ramp, the boat will fall properly on the trailer as directed by those guides. The steeper the ramp, though, the higher the guides would have to be to still be effective initially, hence the dual use of the vertical pole guides (both backing visibility and centering).

mike84comp
05-21-2006, 12:27 PM
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/jacobs2004/supra4_1_06015.jpg