PDA

View Full Version : installing a second bilge pump

TitanTn
12-16-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm installing a second bilge pump. The one I've had is approximately even with the driver's seat, and my new one will be back near the shaft log. I've been considering the best way to install the base of the pump to the boat hull. They give you some screws, but I'd rather not put any more holes in the bottom of the boat than I have to. Has anyone glued one of these bases down? I'd think as long as the water exit hose isn't putting much strain on the pump, it should stay in place. Thoughts?

ddb0
12-16-2012, 10:52 PM
gluing them down is how we do it at the shop i work at just use a good marine apoxy or we use 3M 5200. the other idea is mount it to a pice of aluminum angle or some thing then screw the angle into the side of your stringer osomething but the short anwser is glue is fine

sybrmike
12-16-2012, 11:14 PM
I added a second rear bilge pump to my Salt as well. I looked for areas low in the bilge with a good build up of glass & ended up just in front of the plywood base for the steering cable mounted with some really short s/s wood screws.

inair
12-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Gluing seems the like the best way. When I installed my aux bilge pump earlier this year I glassed in a piece of 1/2" thick piece of plastic and screwed the base of the pump to that. What I found was that first, the way I did it was a PITA and second that putting anything under the pump just raised the pump that much higher from the potential water so that I carry around more bilge water. In a few weeks I'll be tearing out that nice little pad I spent so much time on and gluing the pump to the hull.

TitanTn
12-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys. I'll try the epoxy method, and if that doesn't do the trick (I think it should), then I'll add some small screws like Mike did. I'm adding my pump in almost the same position.

TitanTn
12-17-2012, 11:47 AM
My one and only is glued. No issues except I can't get to the darn thing as it is up under the floor.

When I redid my floor, I made it so I could pull out the entire bilge area. The only downside is I have to pull out all the rear seats and bases. Little did I realize that I'd find a reason to pull it all out every year! I always moan when I start, but in the end I'm glad I've pulled it apart again. It gives me a chance to clean everything real well and I get to inspect areas of the boat that I wouldn't normally.

Jetlink
12-17-2012, 11:40 PM
That end of the boat I can get to. Mine is in front of the engine at the base of the pylon. Sucky location!

No cover in the area that allows access to the bilge? I have an inspection cover just to the left of the captains seat that allows access to that area.

It might be rather difficult to see but the inspection cover is black up in the top right corner of the picture just to the left of the seat.