PDA

View Full Version : Blue Saltare'

skiman_61
04-25-2006, 09:21 AM
Hey Guys, I have an 87 Saltare' that I have had since 1998 or so. It's a pretty sweet boat as those of you who have had one know. Suits my family and my modest skiing needs fine (although the wake is a bit stiff, not for the lighthearted skier) I am in a bit of a quandry about whether I should invest more money in the thing, or wait and get a later model. Some of the upholstry is getting rough, and I have an estimate to repair scratches and dings for about $1200.00. It really does not look too bad, and I'll have to lose all my graphics etc to do the glass. I have bad memories of my last boat that I spent a great deal of time and money on interior and gauges and on and on, and then could not sell for a fraction of the investment.

IndyMatt
04-26-2006, 09:06 AM
If your looking at making an 'investment' in the traditional sense then dont spend money 'fixing up the boat'. Trade in values and incentives are based more on the dealers perception of how quickly he can off load your boat. Having it pretty and shiney will help, but it may depend more on if he already has several similar boats on his lot. If there is an investment to be made here its in refurbishing the boat for your own use and enjoyment. The return will the pride and enjoyment, not the $$. I would do a thorough inspection of the critical components and consider any major repairs you may have to do over the next few years, consider that cost as well. If the boat suits your needs, is mechanically sound and you are happy with it (as most supra owners are) then why not spend a few grand to get near new appearance? We all know that boats are projects, pretty much from the day we buy them. Consider the money now vs a monthly payment... you may want to hang onto the extra cash for the gas prices this summer!!

skiman_61
04-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks Indy. Of course, a boat IS just a hole in the water into which one pours money and time. Structurally, the boat is cherry. It's looks are not shabby either. I get people coming up to me on the lake all the time, and I really like the classic lines and the B-17 style windshield. The older boat I had was only passed on as my family grew too large for it. Updates never considered part of the value, but it would have been nice to have a fraction of the bucks back. I did not trade it. Tried to sell it outright, I've never had any luck selling stuff unless I'm giving it away. The supra has held it's value, and I'm pretty much decided that I'll keep it for awhile.