PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Legacy

surferdude
05-04-2006, 07:23 AM
Where is the computer module that controls the gauges? From previous posts on this site I think that is my problem.

Thanks

Mike

surferdude
05-04-2006, 07:24 AM
The boat with the non functioning gauges is a 2000 Legacy.

Dan Schoenber
05-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Check your ground. Last year my gauges went, and it was my ground (99 Legacy).

surferdude
05-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Where is the ground for the gauges?

Ed Obermeier
05-05-2006, 09:01 AM
It's most likely not the ground. I have a 2000 Legacy I bought new and I've replaced the gauge control module twice (it's located on the drivers side rear, next to the fuel tank - remove the tray and tank cover in the trunk to access).

The problem is that the o-rings where the lines from the speedo pickups attach to the module fail and allow water into the module, causing the gauges to freak out and then eventually fail. In example, are your guages going all over the place especially the tach? If so you've got water in the module. When you pull it out shake it and see if you hear water sloshing around in it. Tip - mark the location of the module with a magic marker so you can get the mounting holes to line up, it's a bitch to find the holes again if you don't.

I got a speil that they were aware of the problem but that it was "very rare", yet everyone I've ever spoken with with that series module (both in Supra's and Moomba's) have had the same issue. To their credit Skiers Choice replaced it both times under warranty, even though the 2nd time the boat was 3 years old. To my knowledge this module was only used for 2 - 3 years, definitely in the 2000 models.

Last time I had it replaced I left both speedo lines unattached and filled the ends with silicone to keep the water out. No problems since and I have PerfectPass anyway so not having the speedo is a non-issue. If you want to avoid this again plug the speedo lines and don't attach them to the replacement module.

Skierpick
05-09-2006, 04:04 PM
I too have a 2000 Legacy with gauge problems. My module was replaced in 2001 or 2002 - it has a production date of 2-22-2001 stamped on it. My gauges started acting up last fall and then quit all together. I called my local dealer for a new module and they quoted me $500. I've been putting off buying it until now. I just called Medallion direct and they are shipping me the part for under $220.

Can anyone tell me if my hour meter will go reset when I install the new module?

Ed Obermeier
05-09-2006, 11:49 PM
When mine went the 2nd time the hour meter quit. When the new module went in the hour meter picked up from where it had stopped. So mine shows maybe 30 hours less than it really has on it. I used the hour meter on the PerfectPass to keep track of oil change time etc, the only thing I really missed with the gauges out was oil pressure and engine temp gauge. I kept a close eye on oil level and checked the engine frequently to make sure overheating wasn't happening. At the time the boat/engine had just over 200 hours on it and I replace the impeller every spring so I wasn't too concerned.

I said Skiers Choice replaced the 2nd one under warranty but now that I think about it I believe that Medallion actually agreed to replace it, at no charge. The dealership made the deal with Medallion (maybe through Skiers Choice, not sure on that point) and they actually shipped it to me directly and I installed it, no big deal to do. The 2nd module quit with not much more than 100 hours of usage on it so it should have been replaced no charge IMO. Might be worth discussing with them depending on how many hours yours has on it.

When you put the new one in, leave the freaking lines from the speedo pickups off of it! Plug them up and go without a speedo, unless you want to go through it all again. Medallion's set up for attaching the speedo lines is failure-prone junk.

Ed

Skierpick
05-10-2006, 08:12 AM
I don't have perfect pass so I really depend on my speedos. Supra told me the "newer" version of the module was suppose to be better. The one I have is an "01F". The new one is an "01H". Do you have experience with the newer unit?
Thanks!

Ed Obermeier
05-10-2006, 08:51 AM
The 2nd replacement looked exactly like the original and hooked up identically to the original, don't know any more than that. I DO know that I haven't had any more problems though by leaving the speedo's unattached. $500 a pop for replacement modules every year versus a one time investment of $800 for the basic version of PerfectPass? It's your money...