PDA

View Full Version : Battery Drain

IndyMatt
05-15-2006, 09:25 PM
When the boat is trailered and everything is off, have you had the oppertunity to sit in the boat in a quiet place without distractions? I guess the suggestion is to start with the obvious things such as an accessory being wired directly to +12v instead of switched. With the key out try turning things on and off to see what works. One very common thing is for excess building materials to get stuck under the float switch which leaves your bildge pump engaged; its difficult to hear unless your pumping water or very quiet. Trace the grounds from the battery and the main fuse pannel under the dash to make sure they are securely connected to a clean metal surface. While less helpful its also possible that you have a screw or bolt that has nicked the insulation of a wire causing a short or ground loop. You can isolate draw by tripping the breaker (red button) mounted inline (usually a foot or so away) from the battery positive cable. One way to isolate the area the draw is comming from is to attach a voltmeter to the (+) & Negative to the battery side of the fuse block~ Pull the fuses and connect each fuse, one at a time and see which one creats the biggest draw on the battery... good luck regardless~

meproff
05-16-2006, 01:19 AM
I am having trouble keeping my battery charged on a new 2006 24V. The battery is new, and checks out ok, so something must be draining it on the boat. All switches are off. Any ideas or experience on what could be draining the battery? I have asked my dealer, but he is working on it.

siuski
05-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Just a thought but I noticed last night that the led flash light was warm and I unplugged it because I didn't know if it could drain the battery. I'd think that it would take quite a while to drain a battery though. Don't know if the 24's have this light or not.

lowdrag
05-21-2006, 07:08 AM
I had the same problem with my '06 21V. Had it out once, then it sat for a month. Battery was completely dead when I tried it again. Last time out, the boat had sat for 2 or 3 weeks. The battery wasn't completely dead, but the voltage was reading around 11 on the gauge and it struggled a little bit on start up. I flipped the breaker this time to see if that will change anything. Other than the flashlight, I can't think of anything that should constantly be pulling any current. Either throwing the breaker will solve it or it will get solved when I add my second battery and perko switch.

meproff
05-24-2006, 10:01 AM
My dealer made the same suggestion on the LED flashlight. I have kept it unplugged since last weekend. Time will tell.