PDA

View Full Version : 88 Saltare -- Stringers are GONE

wotan2525
05-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Well I'm sure some of you on here have followed me and my boats difficult history for the past couple of seasons. Of course -- this season is a new problem.

The engine mounts pulled out and the engine shifted at the end of last season. This caused a host of problems, and under investigation we found that the wood stringers/engine mounts are completely gone. The entire stringer from the front of the engine compartment to the back is wet to the point that drilling a hole through the fiberglass makes water drip out. It's really bad.

Has anyone paid to have these cut out/replaced? I am trying to figure out a ballpark figure for having it repaired. Originally we were going to cut it apart and do it ourselves, but my friend who is a master hot-rod fabricator pretty much decided he didn't know what he was doing and didn't want to take any chances on doing it the wrong way. It is certainly going to be labor-intensive, but will probably be a good excuse to replace my carpet/floor boards anyway.

I think that after I am done with these projects I will have no choice but to sell the boat. It has finally gotten to the point that is has gotten too expensive for me to own. I should be able to afford the current repairs (fingers-crossed) but I cannot risk having to put another $2000 into maintenance for the third season in a row.

What is a good-condition saltare worth with a fresh engine, new upholstery, tower, kickin' stereo, and a bunch of goodies? $12k MAYBE?

Thanks Again Guys

Rob

IndyMatt
05-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Rob,

Get some pics on here... you have plenty of do-it-yourselfers who might be interested in a project boat. Sell it as is to someone who wants the challange. Im not sure where your located but the Skiers Choice plant in TN used to take boats in for refurbish, im pretty sure they went out to a few local shops but sounds from here there might be a resource for pricing