PDA

View Full Version : lakes or rivers to camp on.

2500HD
01-01-2013, 09:24 PM
So i'm always on the hunt for places where you can boat to your camp site, not campground but camp site. I like the solitude and also don't want to disturb others on nights when i want to get my party on. I have been to lake Powell and Flaming Gorge but haven't found any others. While proximity to colorado is important i also thought getting a list of places across the country to be important as well. If you don't mind giving up your stash lakes i would appreciate the info.

86 century
01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
If you get near Indiana there are a few lakes with islands you can camp on.

It a first come first serve type thing so you better get there early.

2500HD
01-06-2013, 11:06 AM
I'll be sure to check them out if i get near Indiana.

tg0824SSVGG
01-06-2013, 12:27 PM
2500 - Have you ever gone to Navajo on the Southern Colorado/New Mexico border? I have not been, but lots of friends go and say it's like Powell (where I go 3x per year) and flaming gorge.

You should check it out.

2500HD
01-07-2013, 10:11 AM
i've heard of it but haven't been there. looks good on the map though.

scotthons
01-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Navajo is where we store our boat and pretty much the only lake we frequent these days. It is a very nice lake and you can almost always find great water. Unfortunately there are not any camp sites on the water. We get a camp site most weekends and they are off the water. We have to pull the boat out each day and trailer the mile or so to the campgrounds. I wish I could find a good lake or river nearby where we could find a spot on the water.

scotthons
01-07-2013, 12:34 PM
When I lived in Sacramento we used to go to a place called Camp Far West and camp on the lake. Spring time was always great before it got too crowded. I believe you can find camp sites on the water at Bullards Bar as well. The Kings River near Fresno has nice camp sites on the water, but that river is pretty shallow and narrow.

2500HD
01-08-2013, 09:42 AM
I'm up in steamboat springs so the gorge is only about four hours away. I love that lake but i want to find someplace for earlier in the year when i've had it with the snow.