PDA

View Full Version : Supra Maroon Color?

TitanTn
01-02-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm about to have some graphics printed for my boat and want to match the red/maroon color from my 1986 Saltare. Has anyone ever color-matched this red and have a color code I can work from? Otherwise I'm having to match color codes from online and between my eyes and "screen not equaling reality" I'm not real confident.

crystal waters
01-02-2013, 05:23 PM
In graphics we go by the Pantone color guides.
In your case try to acquire or borrow from a printer what is known as the "Pantone process guide coated"In it is over 3000 colors achieved by four colour process such that you should be able to find a red maroon to match your color stripe.
I have one in my hand at present and holding it to the screen where you show the new side vent I can see where there are a number of colors that come real close but trying to match to a screen shot is not best case scenario as compared to holding it up to the actual boat.
for example from the book I mention color number DS-126-1 C seems close

TitanTn
01-02-2013, 08:06 PM
I agree. That color looks close. Here is the color he's referencing: http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/colorfinder.aspx?c_id=21250

If no one else knows of any other color codes to reference, I'm just going to have to go by site and this color seems very close. Maybe mine is just a tinge darker? Hard to say.

crystal waters
01-03-2013, 12:22 PM
you may wish to look at DS-143-1 C ---a bit darker, or DS- 142-1 C or DS-126-1 C
Looking at the colors on line is only as good as your monitor
You really need to get the book as it is printed 100% accurate.
Lots of choices--hard to narrow down!

wotan2525
01-03-2013, 04:12 PM
If you can wait until my boat is out of storage, I can get you a pantone match. The only problem is that I've seen 2 other salts that were the same "color" and year as mine. In person they were all quite a bit off. My guess is that they weren't too accurate when tinting gel-coat at the factory. Maybe there is a local vinyl/sign supply company that will help you with a match in person?

TitanTn
01-03-2013, 09:51 PM
you may wish to look at DS-143-1 C ---a bit darker, or DS- 142-1 C or DS-126-1 C
Looking at the colors on line is only as good as your monitor
You really need to get the book as it is printed 100% accurate.
Lots of choices--hard to narrow down!

Thanks for those other choices. The more I look at them online, the more confused I am. I'm going to borrow a Pantone book and bring it home. It's too hard to look at these on screen.

If you can wait until my boat is out of storage, I can get you a pantone match. The only problem is that I've seen 2 other salts that were the same "color" and year as mine. In person they were all quite a bit off. My guess is that they weren't too accurate when tinting gel-coat at the factory. Maybe there is a local vinyl/sign supply company that will help you with a match in person?

That's true, plus we each have 25 years of fading at different rates.

crystal waters
01-04-2013, 12:24 PM
there are four different Pantone books.
Since your gel coat is glossed make sure you use the one I specified which is for gloss colors made up from CMYK ( four color process)
You will get your most accurate match this way!
good luck!

TitanTn
01-06-2013, 07:03 PM
I think I found the color. It's DS 102-1 C.

http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/colorfinder.aspx?c_id=21034

jasun
01-06-2013, 08:25 PM
i was hoping you would... my boat is the same color!
let me know when and where you get your graphics from!!

crystal waters
01-06-2013, 09:39 PM
good on you ! its your boat so your eyes for what you feel is best match!
trust it will look awesome when all done! post some pics please of the end result.

crystal waters
01-07-2013, 06:17 PM
please make sure you found the color from the actual guide book in your hand and not from the computer screen.
Only the actual guide book is 100 % accurate . The screen ( your screen ) can cause a wide variation.
In that way you will not be disappointed with the end result.

TitanTn
01-07-2013, 11:03 PM
please make sure you found the color from the actual guide book in your hand and not from the computer screen.
Only the actual guide book is 100 % accurate . The screen ( your screen ) can cause a wide variation.
In that way you will not be disappointed with the end result.

Yep, I understand, but thanks for your thoughts. I used a honest-to-goodness Pantone book to select the color. It's hard enough to find a color from the real book. I'd never even attempt to pick just based on a screen color. I'm going to order the graphics tomorrow, so I hope you'll see them on the boat soon.

crystal waters
01-08-2013, 12:15 PM
look forward to the pics! glad it worked out for you!