PDA

View Full Version : 86 Supra comp

Shokinem
05-28-2006, 12:04 AM
I just purchased an 86 supra comp. I took it out the other day, it seems like it would idle fine, then when I try to go the motor will accelerate to around 3000 rpms, after that if I push on the throttle any more it starts to bog down? I have replaced the spark plugs, put an edelbrock performer carb and changed the oil and tranny fluid. I was told it may be a problem with the distributor? I was also told that a new distributor was $589.
which seems steep to me? any help would be greatly appriceated.

Thanks, Ryan
Atlanta, GA

OUI
05-30-2006, 06:35 AM
Try a new cap - I had the same bogging problem and a new cap solved the problem -- if not check with skidim.com they have them for a lot less.

05-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Shokinem

I just purchased an 86 supra comp. I took it out the other day, it seems like it would idle fine, then when I try to go the motor will accelerate to around 3000 rpms, after that if I push on the throttle any more it starts to bog down? I have replaced the spark plugs, put an edelbrock performer carb and changed the oil and tranny fluid. I was told it may be a problem with the distributor? I was also told that a new distributor was $589.
which seems steep to me? any help would be greatly appriceated.

Thanks, Ryan
Atlanta, GA

HAve you checked the timing and firing order?

-ah

washmaster
05-30-2006, 09:31 AM
Have you checked the timing and firing order?
-ah

Shokinem
05-30-2006, 10:06 PM
I had the boat out again today and I could get it to cruise around 4k rpms but on acceleration had pops coming from the carb, but if i went slow I could get it up to 4k and it would cruise fine, with no pops. I did adjust the timing some. I am still thinking it may be the distributor? anyone?

Thanks, Ryan

OUI
05-31-2006, 09:58 AM
If you have a Holley carb you might need a new power valve.