PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with the mooring cover on

pctarmor
01-05-2013, 02:22 PM
I am hopefully bringing back my new 07 Supra 22SSV next weekend and I will be towing it over 7 hours. There is some rain in the forecast and I was wondering if it is OK to tow with the mooring cover on. The manual does not recommend it. My previous boats I had a Rankin cover that was good to travel with but that was made for that.
Should I just tow it with the cover off and clean it up when i get home?
Thanks guys.

SupraLaunch21V
01-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Congrats on the new purchase, assuming the deal went through of course. I bought my first Supra late in the year 2012 and had the same situation ( driving from NC to Maryville TN ) with the weather and transport. I've always taken the covers off of my previous boats, even when towing only 15 minutes to the lake. When I picked the boat up in TN the previous owner said as long as the bimini was strapped down the mooring cover, cage, etc should be fine. It rained on the way back and I pulled over every few hrs to inspect the cover. No damage to either the boat or the cover travelling about 70 mph on Interstate 40. I was more concerned with the pulley system and hooks ( which secures the front part to the mid section right at the driver's and front passengers side of the boat ) hitting the boat and nicking the gel coat and chipping / cracking the boat, but I saw no such thing.

So while its not ideal, I don't think there was any damage to my boat when transporting it home with the cover securely fastened. Good luck bringing her home.

Diggs
01-07-2013, 01:46 AM
You should be fine. Depending on the color you may notice some scuffs on the gel coat from the cover rubbing on it, but it will buff out. If it is scheduled to rain the whole way you might as well cover and just make sure it is all cinched up very tight and just watch it in your mirrors to make sure you got it on good and check it regularly.

csuggs
01-07-2013, 10:01 PM
THe only problem I've had with towing with the cover on is a little bit of rubbing on the gelcoat . . . very minor. So my rule is that if it's not raining or only a chance of a passing shower, no cover. For soaking rain I tow with the cover.

haugy
01-07-2013, 11:08 PM
It's a boat. It's going to get wet in it's lifetime. I don't tow with the cover on. It can damage the cover, and rub the gelcoat.

If it's on roads that are treated with de-icer or salt, definitely cover it up!

csuggs
01-08-2013, 09:26 AM
It's a boat. It's going to get wet in it's lifetime. I don't tow with the cover on. It can damage the cover, and rub the gelcoat.

If it's on roads that are treated with de-icer or salt, definitely cover it up!

^ What Haugy said.

crystal waters
01-08-2013, 12:14 PM
never have I towed with the cover on! my feelings are exactly same as haugy's.

suprasam
01-08-2013, 12:37 PM
I don't have a fit/snap cover for my supra, only an after-market type (stays in garage 95%). On my prior boat I had the snap/fit covers an never traveled with them because it will wear the covers out quicker, plus it will stretch them and rub like said above IMO.