PDA

View Full Version : Ford based engines - Try this one again!

dndsam
06-07-2006, 07:45 PM
It appears that Chevrolet's are becoming the predominant engine for PCM and Indmar. Anyone have any insight as to why? The obvious is the amount of horsepower being cranked out of the Vortec heads. I'm sure someone will say because Fords suck(which is untrue) so I will say it to get it over with. I am suprised that Ford has not stepped back up to the plate as they were the leading horsepower engines in the early and mid 90's. Any thoughts?

lowdrag
06-08-2006, 06:40 AM
I'd say the big reason is availability. The main Ford based engine in these boats was the 5.8 351. It's use pretty much died out when Ford retired it and moved on to its modular motors. It never really had the aftermarket use and backing that GM's 350 did. Even though GM has moved on to different motors, the 350 is still a very widely used motor and still widely supported. I'm sure down the road we'll start to see new options as the 350 becomes more of a relic and the fact that boat manufacturers are trending towards using engines more commonly used in vehicles to save money.

While I'm a fan of the modular motors, I've heard it said before that they're kind nearing the limits of affordable horsepower. Considering the current 5.4 is rated at around 300 hp, that's still a little shy of the base hp offerings in current boats. The only upcoming option I see for Ford getting back into marine engines is the 6.2 V8 that at one point was nicknamed the hurricane. If they wouldn't have scrapped the program and then changed their minds, you'd probably see it being offered in trucks this year. The best estimates I've heard now are claiming maybe it will be in the '08 or '09 model year trucks. It's anyones guess as to how many years after that or if it will ever be converted to marine use.

06-08-2006, 09:21 PM
The boat market does not have the same emission and fuel economy requirements that our auto makers do. If there were to be more stringent laws placed on boat manufacturers you would see the shift to current modular designed motors.

lowdrag
06-09-2006, 12:04 AM
I've got a feeling the emissions standards are already on their way. All of Indmar's motors for next year will have catalytic converters on them. I'm betting they have seen or heard of something and are just staying a step ahead. Another thing that makes the old 350 block as appealing is simplicity. Simple old pushrod V8 technology.

OUI
06-13-2006, 05:45 PM
I think it's because Ford's suck.

dndsam
06-14-2006, 07:24 PM
I knew it. Thanks for the constructive response. You probably think Chevy's swallow too, huh?

OUI
06-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Ahh, no!

06-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Would rather have the 5.7 Hemi in my boat if I had a choice.

1988comp
07-11-2006, 08:27 PM
I think they are very similar in performance, and there is no doubt that Chevy's are cheaper than fords, buying new one, rebuilding an old one, finding heads, crankshafts, pistons, etc, Chevy is ALWAYS cheaper.

These boats are getting so expensive, the people that want them will not be a ble to afford one pretty soon.

I make about $100k, and my wife makes about 80k, and there is no way we could afford a $1200/mo boat.

My mom dad have the money for 10 of them, and would never buy one either. There is nothing that could need done I can't do to an old-school 351 Windsor with a 71c or 72c Velvet Drive, so all I ever have to do is replace the floor.

I usually sell the older boats I get after I do everything to them, at least the people who buy them get a good deal.

1988comp
07-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by OUI

I think it's because Ford's suck.

This is the real truth, when compared to a roller LS-1 or LS-2, Ford has nothing even close. The lincoln LS motor could be pretty cool, but it is still no vette engine.