PDA

View Full Version : engine startup on land question

06-09-2006, 02:41 PM
I replaced my impeller and exhaust hoses and want to start the engine up in my driveway before taking it down to the river. How do you go about getting water from a hose or bucket into and out of the engine?

lowdrag
06-12-2006, 01:49 AM
Check Overton's or any boating supply store for a device called a fake-a-lake or look into installing a perko flush valve. The water will exit on its own through the exhaust.

OUI
06-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Fake a lake forces water through the system - and that's bad. I made an made an addapter that fits on a garden hose with a standard garden hose shot off valve so you can regulate the water flow. After the valve I used clear plastic hose ( so I can watch the flow) at the end of the hose I used a step down fitting that goes from the 1" intake hose to garden hose size. I pull the intake hose off of the trans oil cooler and connect it to my contraption. Start the motor with the valve closed then turn it on once the motor is running. Open the valve just enough so that it's pulling the water into the motor. You'll have to experiement, but you should see a few bubble and the hose collapsed just a little.

lowdrag
06-13-2006, 01:08 AM
I've heard people say that about fake-a-lake before, but I just don't get it. How does it force water through the system? There's no way you could get the cup tight enough to the hull to create enough water pressure to do any damage. The only place that would see any of that pressure is the raw water impeller. When you hook the fake-a-lake up you can see the water spraying out of the cup, which bleeds off any pressure. Yes, it's more pressure than what you'd get from running across a lake, but not enough to hurt anything. Plus, when you start the motor you'll see significantly less water coming from the cup. It's an easy way to make sure you're not starving you engine for water which I could see causing a lot bigger problem than a little pressure to the raw water pump.

skiman_61
06-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Actually, the pressure from my garden hose blew the thermostat cover right out of the block! They just don't make them like they used to:) Seriously, I cannot see how you could harm your cooling system with a fake a lake. Leaks too much. If you're really paranoid about it, use a bucket and the fake a lake. Once primed it will draw the water in. Better put the hose in the buket to keep H2o in the system.