PDA

View Full Version : Speedo problem

Greg Gugger
10-30-2002, 09:41 AM
Speedo not working properly
I have a 1998 Saltare. The right speedo starting filling with water the last time out. Does this mean that the 1/4" tube in the back of the speedo does not have a tight fit? Does the speedo work on air pressure or water pressure? To fix this problem, I was going to try to apply some gasket seal to the nipple on the back of the speedo and put the 1/4" tube back onto the nipple. Please lend any helpful information about how the speedo works and if my proposed solution makes sense. Another interesting point, when researching this problem, I removed the rear ski storage access panel and found the 1/4" tube connected to a 1/2" piece of copper that was about 1' long. I was curious if anyone could explain the purpose of this.

Brian Raymond
11-06-2002, 06:11 PM
The tube you found is called a ballast tube, it changes water pressure from your speedo pick up to air pressure, this pressure works against a diaphragm inside your speedo. If the diaphragm ruptures it will let water into the lines and fill the speedo, the only way to repair this is to do a speedo replacement. The Airguide speedo is very popular and has been widely used throughout the industry, so price and availability should not be a major issue. Before installing the new one, blow low pressure air from the speedo end of the hose back to get the water out of the system. Brian Raymond

07-01-2003, 04:41 PM
Brian,
I spoke to Les at Skier's Choice today and he stated that the problem is with the ballast tube most likely. Would you agree as this seems to be contradictory to your advice. He also states that the Speedo's are not available anymore because that company went out of business.

Greg Gugger
07-03-2003, 12:06 PM
I am trying to repair the speedo on my 1998 Supra Saltare. Les from skier's choice, tells me that the symtom I described, water in the gauge, is a result of a broken ballast. If I replace the ballast, should I also replace the gauge. If so, where do you recommend getting a replacement gauge that matches the other one.

Greg Gugger
07-03-2003, 12:08 PM
I am trying to repair the speedo on my 1998 Supra Saltare. Les from skier's choice, tells me that the symtom I described, water in the gauge, is a result of a broken ballast. If I replace the ballast, should I also replace the gauge. If so, where do you recommend getting a replacement gauge that matches the other one.

Brian Raymond
07-03-2003, 11:45 PM
Greg, I would replace the speedo first. You can purchase one thru SkiersChoice, contact Anthony Cooper(865)856-3035x118;or email [email protected]. You may also purchase one from Discount Inboard Marine(803)345-0996, or email;www.skidim.com. Brian Raymond