PDA

View Full Version : Car parts on a boat motor??

SnowRacer
06-13-2006, 12:42 AM
I honestly have no idea if there is any diffrence between the marine engine parts and auto engine parts.

Can i use a 351w automotive rebuild kit for my boat motor???

lowdrag
06-13-2006, 12:51 AM
I honestly can't tell you whether an automotive rebuild kit will work. I know you definitely should stay away from using automotive parts in the ignition system and starter as they are designed differently for marine applications to minimize the risk of explosion. Boat motors will also use a different grind in the cam for marine applications and I've heard of plenty of people who have run across problems swapping one out for an auto version. The other thing I've heard before is that marine blocks are not necessarily the same as automotive blocks and are built a little heavier. Whether or not that any of the dimensions are changed that would effect the rebuild, I have no idea. Have you checked someplace like skidim.com to see if they have a marine specific rebuild kit for your engine?

OUI
06-13-2006, 03:24 PM
The only things that are different from a car motor are the manifolds, and electrical components. If your rebuild kit is a new block, heads, etc, -- there is no difference -- other than rotation (left or right rotation).