PDA

View Full Version : Bimini Top for Mariah

selle92
06-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Been thinking about getting a Bimini for the boat recently. Been out with my 1yr old, and it would be nice to have some shade when cruising so he can take a nap if needed without the sun in his face.

Anyone with an older Mariah have one? What size do you have, if so??

I looked on a few websites, and some will help specify by boat make/mfg and they list mariahs from '92 on..... I have a '91. I'm assuming the size would be the same, no?

says to get a 3 bow... but to measure. Just curious if anyone has one. Pain in tha @ss, or worth the money? I don't want it to sit to high either.. just something low profile for a bit of shade so it doesn't look goofy. Seen some ski boats where they look sharp, just a bit over the windsheild, but others that have them so high, it looks like a huge parachute over the top.

also, worth spending the extra bucks on a sunbrella.. or go with a med road one, or a cheaper vinyle one?

any info or advice welcome.

DKJBama92Mariah
06-13-2006, 02:05 PM
It might fit, but would probably need some modification. In 1992, Supra changed from the squared off windshield with flat panes of glass to a three-piece curved glass windshield. At the very least, you could probably get one custom made.

Cheers,
DKJ

selle92
06-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks D.

I don't think they snap to the windsheild like in some boats, so that probably doesn't matter too much. I'd guess I'd be more concerned with just the width itself- if that changed from earlier years to '92 and on..

I believe you just have to drill a few holes for the mounting hardware.. so as long as the width of the bimini is ok (frame that is), I think the rest would be ok too. Just a matter of where you mount the eyeloops or whatever that it would attach to.

I guess I just need to measure my boat and go from there, but being stuck at work, getting some ideas, input, advice on them.

BTW.. I know we chatted last year thru email about the dimentions of your trailer. When I bought my boat, no trailer was included. But the dealer did have one for a 22/23 ft Supra but was for a newer supra. I bought it so I could get my boat home, and had it worked on last year and fitted to my boat for $100. A neighbors son-in law who's a welder hooked me up in 2 days time.

I should take a few pics of it and post em. He basically cut off the front post with the bow stop/boat buddy system.. moved that back a few feet so the back of the boat lines up with the end of the trailer, and re-welded it in place. Then repositioned the 2 front bunks underneath to run with the lines in the bottom of the hull. Turned out sweet! He even painted it blue again so you can't even tell he did anything. Works amazing with the boat buddy thing.

Got the trailer for $2k.. 2004 boatmate with duals, disc brakes, boat Buddy, etc... retailed from boatmate for $5200... not to shabby of a deal with a little work.

Ironcross25
06-15-2006, 08:45 AM
I was also looking for a bimini top. I have a an 86 supra marauder. I want something low profile like your looking for. Let me know when you find one and hpow it works out. Thanks
nick

selle92
06-23-2006, 04:12 PM
still researching... Found a few that would work. Just need to measure the hight I want it to be.. Just don't like the looks on a tow boat with too high of a bimini so it looks like a huge chute.. Not looking to stand full up under it.

if I do what I'm thinking.. I'll go with a Skylon, then custom the bimini with an open/close hole for the extend pylon. Either zippered or a velcro flap.

I actually really like the look of this. Even though a nautique.. its the same color boat as mine and I'd do almost the same set up.. blue lower profile Bimini with Black Skylon.
if doing a 2 peice extend pole, it should work out pretty slick... could even do a board rack over the bimini too.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/pf371e1a8d05b2d49cd566f22cf90c0c0/ee5eccdb.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/pb00d2e1e21ce063c37f31cb26a5f8a2c/ee5eccd7.jpg

Will keep you updated....

IndyMatt
06-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Dosn't skylon make a fold away top that attaches directly to the extended pylon itself?? Im sure that I have seen that somewhere.... maybe overtons?? may avoid having to install additional hardware. You may also want to check with your dealer... Alot of them have custom canvas (covers sunbrella) shop contacts, people they use for repairs, who would custom build you a top... you could even take your boat to them and tell them what you want. I recently had a top repaired because no matted how hard I try apparently it wont go in the garage with the top in the extended storage position; anyway, I guy in indy just pulled out the broken bow and fabed me a new one... Pricing would be very competitive and you would get exactly what you wanted... just a thought

selle92
06-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Never seen one the attaches to a Skylon pole, but will have to check into it. thanks for the info./lead. I have seen most towers that have the option of a bimini.

I suppose someone could custom fab one too. I really hadn't thought about it or looked into it aspect. I could probably fab one myself as well.. just finding the time is difficult for me. I will have to think about that, and add it to my list of stuff to look into or make. Already have ideas and work ups of a Kids/baby carseat thing that would fit as a jump seat. I'm just playing with ideas to either attach via a clamp to the Pylon itself, or to have a locking bar mechinism on the front and back side to just hold it in place...

Davicho
06-30-2006, 02:47 PM
http://barefootplus.freeservers.com/product_3_2.html

Pro X Series Bimini Rag Top - W2924

This new 1st class Fly High Rag Top provides unlimited sun protection without drilling holes in your boat. This stainless steel framed Rag Top dials in like an airplane wing at high speeds and fold up with new tent pole technology. The Rag Top fits any inboard ski boat with a center-mounted pylon.
Colors - █ █ █ █ █

selle92
06-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Interesting.. but $600??? HOLY SHEEAAT!

IMO.. not worth it. also, IMO- it's kinda ugly.

I think I'd rather do a regular bimini and just add a hole with a zipper or vecro flap to cover the hole when extend pole not in use... I can mod that myself eaisly enough.

thanks for the info though!

Black&Tan
03-01-2007, 09:11 PM
I have a 90 mariah, that came w/a factory vinyl top that snaps to the top of the windshield and, w/not in use can be slid on tracks to rear of the boat(the tracks are 4 feet long). I also have a top that i got from overtons that we put on for the summer, It sits about 1 foot above the windshield at the front(higher at the middle&rear). I like the way it sits below the monster tower, but still lets plenty of air through. I mostly use the factory top for spring&fall. 8)