PDA

View Full Version : Which GoPro should I get?

gogger
01-21-2013, 05:16 PM
My birthday is this week, and I usually tell everyone not to get me anything. But this year I told them to get a GoPro camera for the Boat. But there are so many I am not sure which I should get and what features to look for. Anyone have some suggestions? Best place to get them? I was looking on Ebay.

gogger
01-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Here is what I was looking at http://www.ebay.com/itm/GoPro-Hero-2-WiFi-Combo-Bundle-w-Extras-/181063930585?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item2a284052d9

2500HD
01-21-2013, 05:49 PM
I actually went with the drift HD, i like it's slim design for my helmet. As far as the gopro both the hero2 and hero3 are great.

supraaddict
01-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Go Pro Hero3 Black Edition if you want the best video quality. There are some comparison vids on YouTube.

tg0824SSVGG
01-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Hero3 is 2x better than the 2 -- both are awesome.

csuggs
01-21-2013, 07:33 PM
I was lucky enough to score the GoPro Hero 3 Black for Christmas. Awesome camera! This model comes with a remote as well as super high definition. There's also an iPhone app that lets you control the camera remotely while viewing the video on the phone. I love mine!

Jetlink
01-22-2013, 01:00 AM
I can vouch, the suction cup is one robust mount. It withstood 200+ MPH winds and I managed to pull a dent out with the suction cup. I do like the chest mount for water skiing though.

jasun
01-22-2013, 08:45 AM
I own the first edition and it has always worked well for me... the HD's are so much better though. The Suction cup mount is the way to go! Neck on the mount is long enough that I zip tied some foam from an old seat cushion to it so that it would not sink... stuck it on the front of my ski and with the fish eye lense, it worked great!

wotan2525
01-22-2013, 11:11 AM
I've bought all the mounts but the suction cup is the best. I've mounted that cup to everything that has a motor in it and it has yet to fail or fall off. I take the extra precaution and run a strap around it just in case.

That's funny. I've had mine fall off my Aprilia at around 100mph. Every part that could come off did and I ended up basically sweeping it off the road (and it still worked!!) I blame it on the fact that it was hard to find a perfectly flat spot to mount it and I probably just assumed it was flat-enough.

There's two other of my former GoPros at the bottom of the St. Croix river. One fell off my head and my other one is still attached to my friends carbon fiber BOB hood.

jasonba1
01-24-2013, 07:18 PM
If anyone needs gun, bow, or dog mounts for there gopro I can hook you up I started a company a little while back called captureyourhunt and thats what we do .

CornRickey
01-24-2013, 08:51 PM
You have to go with the 3. Internal WiFi, smaller, current software development by gopro. You cant buy the 2's accessories retail in stores. Only online now. Search the forums. GoPro does have a reputation of releasing items prior to having them turn key though. Thy releases the WiFi backpack/remote for the two with the adds saying apps will be available the following spring to view images and real time video on Android and apple products. Well a year later and they finally have but it still doesn't work as well as advertised by most.

gogger
01-24-2013, 11:42 PM
I wound up getting a Hero3 Silver edition. Should have it in a day or two.

csuggs
01-25-2013, 09:49 AM
I have the Hero 3 Black. This is my first GoPro so I'm not real sure about the characteristics of the previous models . . . but I can see the Hero 3 using a lot of battery when the WiFi is activated. It CAN be used just like the other GoPro models without WiFi and the battery will last longer. I think the way I will use the WiFi feature is after I have the camera mounted where I want, I can turn the WiFi on and check the frame angle with the viewer on my phone to be sure I have the camera mounted exactly where I want it. Then I can turn the WiFi off and use the camera just like the Silver edition. THere's no need to leave the WiFi on while recording unless you need it.

CornRickey
01-25-2013, 09:26 PM
When working properly the WiFi is awesome. Once you start using monopods and head mounts the remote helps a lot with cutting down on editing out you looking at the camera when your turning it on and off. My kids think its really funny how I look at the camera when I turn it off.