PDA

View Full Version : Looking at an 86 and have ??(2nd try)

Xiled1
06-21-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm going to look at a 1986 Supra Ski boat this weekend. All I know is that is 19' and closed bow, I still need to get model and hours from him. Its got a 351 Cleveland - according to him and claims that it runs good. The two problems he admits to is chipping transom paint and that the prop shaft needs to be repacked. So my first question is - how hard is it to repack the prop shaft? I'm relatively mehcanically inclined when it comes to cars, but new to boats.

The next question - any common problems I should look for? I've read about the stringers, I should check for soft spots in the floor and check motor mount bolts. But its been in AZ its entire life(claimed) so I would think that rot is less likely. I assume the 351 is still a good motor, but what is an average # of hours before it needs a rebuild.

I know its got issues because he is willing to trade my old truck for his boat.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

OUI
06-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Repacking is very simple, Unscrew the shaft nut, put new packing in it and tighten it back down. Not too tight though otherwise it will bind the shaft. When you're done it should drip just a few drips now and them -- the water lubes the packing material.

PS: It may not need to be repacked just tightened - try that first.