PDA

View Full Version : Legacy or Comp?

Jeffrey
01-26-2013, 12:03 AM
I bought a 2000 supra off eBay last fall and can't figure out if it's a comp or a legacy. It looks like a comp with a closed bow but it has Legacy written on the side by the windshield. Were some Legacy's made with closed bows? The title says 2000 19' 9" long. The boat history report for the HIN wasn't helpful. Any thoughts?

tg0824SSVGG
01-26-2013, 09:46 AM
I personally don't know the difference, but I bet the next poster after me will ask for photos to help. But heck, we ALWaYS want photos!!

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sybrmike
01-26-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm pretty sure the Legacy was just a trim package or temporary rebadging of the Comp, (Supra also used Esprit & Impulse names) but others more knowledgeable are sure to confirm the differences if any.

csuggs
01-26-2013, 03:38 PM
I think sybrmike is right. It's essentially a comp. I think Supra was owing through some changes at the time and couldn't decide what to name it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TitanTn
01-27-2013, 07:46 PM
The Legacy is essentially a Comp with an open bow. They are very similar boats with very similar wakes, but the Legacy is its own boat, and as far as I know, they are all open bow boats.

Jeffrey
01-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the information. I decided I would post a picture so you could see the boat. My dilemma started when I went to buy a cover and couldn't decide which model it was.

Jeffrey
01-27-2013, 08:40 PM

Here's a picture of the boat in the yard. I'll try to post another where you can see 'Legacy'.

Jeffrey
01-27-2013, 08:41 PM

The word Legacy is written below the windows on each side.

TitanTn
01-27-2013, 09:22 PM
That doesn't look like any Legacy I've ever seen, or as described by Supra's web site.

Gregmacdog
01-27-2013, 09:28 PM
I looked thru my owners manual, a Comp lenght is 19-11, and a Legacy is 20-4.
I own a Legacy, it has an open bow.
You may have to contact Supra for clarification, with the use of the VIN number.

Gregmacdog
01-28-2013, 11:37 AM
One more thing--I looked thru the Sales Brouchure and they don't show a Legacy closed bow.
The Comp is the only boat they show in closed bow. Of these two.
I can make some copies of the info I have, if you want.
Let me know.

crystal waters
01-28-2013, 03:26 PM
you have a comp in my humble opinion.

TitanTn
01-28-2013, 05:23 PM
you have a comp in my humble opinion.

I concur. My only question is that the Legacy graphic is in fact an actual Supra Legacy graphic. It would seem strange that someone would have added that for no apparent reason.

csuggs
01-28-2013, 05:45 PM
I double concur. And that "legacy" lettering doesn't look like any Supra lettering I've seen so it may not even be factory. Of course, like I always say . . . . during those years Supra didn't seem to be too concerned about it much if they put together a boat that was just a little different and undocumented. You may have a one-of-a-kind. Jim Jackson would probably know because he worked there during that time - I think.

Jeffrey - pretty boat by the way! I love a good Comp!

TitanTn
01-28-2013, 08:07 PM
I double concur. And that "legacy" lettering doesn't look like any Supra lettering I've seen so it may not even be factory. Of course, like I always say . . . . during those years Supra didn't seem to be too concerned about it much if they put together a boat that was just a little different and undocumented. You may have a one-of-a-kind. Jim Jackson would probably know because he worked there during that time - I think.

Jeffrey - pretty boat by the way! I love a good Comp!

I can confirm that the lettering is factory. I have a friend with a Legacy and it's exactly the same. This may be a one-off Legacy from the factory, or someone just added a Supra Legacy badge to a Comp.

Gregmacdog
01-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Legacy or a Comp, either way-a fantastic ski boat, to be enjoyed.

haugy
01-29-2013, 10:36 AM
That's a Comp. 100% sure.

The Legacy was based on the Comp hull to give it the same performance, but with an Open Bow. It's 4.5" longer than a Comp, and obviously open bow. It is not a trim package. The Legacy is basically the modern version of a Mariah. Open bow, slightly longer, based on the same low profile hull of the comp.

Congrats, you have a Comp. One of my most favorite of the Supra line.

csuggs
01-29-2013, 12:03 PM
I messaged Jim at Viper last night and this is his reply:

"No, it would be a Comp. The Legacy is available with two different bow configurations, but both were open bow! The fifth digit of the serial number should be a 1, if its a Legacy it would be an 8."

There you have it - check your serial number!

Jeffrey that's a beautiful boat! I hope you don't put a tower on . . . but understand if you do. Comp's are just so sexy the way they are without the tower!

crystal waters
01-29-2013, 12:09 PM
I concur re tower! Too nice lines on the boat as it is !

haugy
01-29-2013, 04:06 PM
I messaged Jim at Viper last night and this is his reply:

"No, it would be a Comp. The Legacy is available with two different bow configurations, but both were open bow! The fifth digit of the serial number should be a 1, if its a Legacy it would be an 8."

There you have it - check your serial number!

Jeffrey that's a beautiful boat! I hope you don't put a tower on . . . but understand if you do. Comp's are just so sexy the way they are without the tower!

That's fine. Don't believe me. :D Hater.

Besides, you know this boat is in the archive section right?

http://www.supraboats.com/archive/

csuggs
01-29-2013, 04:14 PM
That's fine. Don't believe me. :D Hater.

Besides, you know this boat is in the archive section right?

http://www.supraboats.com/archive/

Dude? You're kidding, right?

I agreed it was a Comp but so far no one can explain the Legacy decal, and I don't know why someone would put one on there just for fun. Weird.

TitanTn
01-29-2013, 04:32 PM

I agreed it was a Comp but so far no one can explain the Legacy decal, and I don't know why someone would put one on there just for fun. Weird.

I'm sure he's kidding. He's was the 4th person to identify it as a Comp, but it really was just us all agreeing from personal knowledge. You just added some deeper details from an industry expert. Thanks for that.

haugy
01-29-2013, 04:56 PM

Sarcasm FAIL. I was playing, thus the :D symbol.

I've seen Acura's with Honda symbols (yes I know they are the same). I've seen a Chevy with an F-150 symbol. I've seen a 2wd truck covered in 4x4 stickers. People are insane sometimes.

csuggs
01-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Sorry I spoiled the fun! My bad.

Jeffrey
01-31-2013, 05:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies and information. I called Supra and they looked up the HIN# and it's definitely a comp. If it looks like a comp and drives like a comp, it's a comp. Length 19' 11.5" I guess that settles it. I'll post a better picture of the window decal so your can see better what Im talking about. Yes Ive always liked the lines of this boat and don't plan on putting a tower on. It's going to be used at our summer home on one of the finger lakes in upstate NY.

crystal waters
01-31-2013, 06:20 PM
great boat ! congratulations!