PDA

View Full Version : 86 Saltare on Ebay...Does anyone on the list know who it belonged to?

premierproperties
01-26-2013, 04:16 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200882359608
My buddy just bought a saltare on ebay....the seller bought if from an insurance auction due to small electrical fire in the storage compartment. Currently the boat is in Oklahoma, and trying to track the prior owner down and to get a little history on it....It appears as though it was totally gone through not to long ago....interior, guages, etc.

Any help would be appreciated

Tim

2500HD
01-26-2013, 05:51 PM
You should be able to have the police run a vin check on the trailer to find the previous owner.
I saw that boat on eBay, looked nice except for the minor burn. Hopefully the motor isn't locked up to bad.

bens250ex
01-26-2013, 06:42 PM
I dont see why he cant let the boat go without a title and just issue a bill of sale. I dont have a title on my boat just a bill of sale. By the sound of it the stringers are more than likely shot if they are factory, you can see a the water line on the floor. Hopefully someone replaced them and hopefully they did a hell of a job.

2500HD
01-26-2013, 07:43 PM
I would want a title just to get plates on the trailer

wotan2525
01-27-2013, 04:43 PM
Someone loved that boat. New trailer, new gauges, SS cup holders, stereo, flappers on the exhaust, removable swim deck brackets w/ swing away tongue (means it was stored inside at some point), updated vinyl. Even if the stringers are bad, who cares - $3k was a steal!!

My guess is that the engine will be fine once you sort out the electrical and do some regular maintenance to it. Hopefully it didn't freeze, I don't know how cold it gets in OK.

beat taco
01-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Pretty funny, confirms we are all watching the same stuff on eBay!

premierproperties
02-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Well my buddy finally got the boat home....
The good news is the motor is NOT froze up, pulled the plugs and was able to turn it over with a ratchet on the crank bolt. From the looks of it the whole boat was restored..the floor is super solid and all the motor mount bolts are tight! Theres a Viper Custom sticker on the valve covers, so I would assume viper must have had a hand in the resto:-). 11771

premierproperties
02-05-2013, 09:16 PM
more pics

TitanTn
02-05-2013, 10:51 PM
Ouch. What's the game plan for repairing this?

TitanTn
02-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Btw, 17 states don't require a boat title. So when you sell it the boat to someone in a state that does require it, whose responsibility is it to obtain the title? The buyer or the seller?

The buyer.

premierproperties
02-06-2013, 09:44 AM
He's planing on fixing the damage and keeping it....has a fiberglass guy coming to look at it today. Does any one know where a new acrylic glove box cover/glove box can be sourced?
Wisconsin doesn't need a title to register the boat, so the bill of sale should suffice.

haugy
02-06-2013, 11:28 AM
I don't remember that color being an option for that boat. Is it painted or re-gelled? If that's original, that's pretty rare. I don't think I've ever seen an all gray original.

chris young
02-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Just my .05 on this (Canada no longer has the penny). Just because the floors are solid and the engine mount bolts don't spin, doesn't mean the stringers have been done. My 84 Rider fit that description when I looked it over, but since taking delivery and getting into the boat, I've discovered a new floor over the old one. My stringers may or may not be shot, there's some hollow sounds in front of the engine, but the bolts are tight, but the old floor is rotten for sure. I'm going to run it ugly this summer and then make my decisions on how deep I want to go with any kind of resto.

wotan2525
02-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Looks like they did what I've been threatening to do. Cut out the panel between the spotters seat and the glovebox and then cut out the "floot" in the area below the glovebox.

I REALLY need to do this. It's a huge spot of wasted space and right now I have all my electronics wedged into the space that is there with a rats nest of wiring everywhere. Maybe that should be my spring project?

haugy
02-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Looks like they did what I've been threatening to do. Cut out the panel between the spotters seat and the glovebox and then cut out the "floot" in the area below the glovebox.

I REALLY need to do this. It's a huge spot of wasted space and right now I have all my electronics wedged into the space that is there with a rats nest of wiring everywhere. Maybe that should be my spring project?

Same here, but I'm worried it will weaken the backrest structurally. If I do cut out the floor I intend to make a hinged hatch somehow so I can put big things in it.

Salty87
02-06-2013, 08:40 PM
...or it melted through the storage 'shelf'.

you could still hinge the seat but leave the shelf. big things underneath and other items above...towels, the mrs bag o stuff, things to keep dry.

i think the angles & shape of the dash give more strength that the shelf does. each time there's a bend or corner there's structural support.

premierproperties
02-07-2013, 09:52 AM
The seat was hinged, so I think the shelf was removed....the batteries and the amp which started the fire were located there

kvand347
02-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Off topic, but where in WI are you located? I'm in Stevens Point.

sybrmike
02-07-2013, 11:10 PM
The "shelf" in my 89 was just part of a 2 sided black plastic liner that was glassed to the underside of the top cap with coremat backing forming the storage pod. The glass is pretty thick behind the seat & the flat panel doesn't add much strength, so I think you could cut a decent sized opening without adding too much flex. You could always glass in some stiffeners to the backside if needed.

I wanted to keep the dry pod storage & not worry about things dropping down below, so I cut an opening at the bottom of the seatback wall just big enough to slide two batteries in under the storage pod. My new observer's seat base has a matching opening so I can access the batteries by removing the bottom cushion. I did add a divider wall under the storage pod to separate the new battery compartment from the rest of the port playpen storage so ballast bags & stuff wouldn't touch/push/bang on the batteries. The amps, batt switch, charger, and VSR are all mounted in the storage pod - nice and dry (along with the Mrs. & daughters bags/towels/etc.). Space is tight with my setup, wiring was a bitch, & probably would jump start (if ever needed) at the engine rather than reach down there with jumper cables.

Or you can just cut out the entire liner like Okie did on his Sunsport & have one big open storage space.

Back to an earlier question - I don't know where you'd find new glovebox/wine service parts. I had to make my own (still need to make a new hinged cover).