PDA

View Full Version : What have you bought off ebay?

gogger
01-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Well since things are slow, ebay was mentioned. My daughter turned Pro as a horse trainer. She wanted an Australian Stock whip, after watching another trainers TV show. Sure enough was able to find her one on EBAY. Now she wants a holster for it. They have them on ebay.

I actually use to sell a ton of stuff on there. I would go to estate auctions buy a bunch of stuff and sell it on ebay for a huge profit. Typically I was able to sell it for 10x what I would pay for stuff. But all the TV shows now about that type of stuff has ruined the market. So I don't do that much anymore.

Hot wheels and old toys were my specialty.

I have been getting some stuff for the boat lately, my GoPro and some accessories. I purchased a tower mount for it and a microphone. Looking forward to trying it out. Going to start looking for some ballast bags and a new surf board.

haugy
01-28-2013, 11:17 AM
I don't ever use EBAY. Too much risk with no guarantee of protection.

I have only bought one thing from Ebay, a T-5 bellhousing from a Mustang to mount up to the Supra PCM 351w motor in my CJ7. Happily I didn't get burned. But I know WAAAY too many who have.

wotan2525
01-28-2013, 11:25 AM
I've probably bought/sold over 500 items on eBay over the years. I've never had a problem or been ripped off.

I think they've sort of ruined the site, though. As a seller, it's not attractive because the fees are so high.

As a buyer it's not attractive because it's just turned into a site like any other online store. They realized they could make more money catering to high-volume sellers than they could catering to people selling used stuff. The used stuff/auction style items have almost completely gone away and now it's just page after page of brand-new merchandise with "buy it now" pricing.

I think the only categories this doesn't apply to would be the vehicle/boat section. I bought a truck and a motorcycle off the site last year. Easy, local transactions that I picked up for less than they were probably worth.

inair
01-28-2013, 11:33 AM
I bought my son some wake board boots at Christmas time with good results. Generally though, I prefer CL. Its just feels better to be able to see what ever I'm buying before laying out the cash. I have to admit though that I've had better luck with ebay than with other sites like Ski it again. I bought a slalom ski from a guy there in the fall and after I sent money, he waited 3 weeks to send it!

5akman
01-28-2013, 12:36 PM
I've got a rating of over 800, with most of it from buying. In all those transactions, I was only in one dispute and that was most recently on the BW V drive unit I bought for my Pirata. The seller was paid for the purchase and 300.00 for shipping. He then sent the unit to me COD. I tried to get him to pay the shipping since he had my 300.00 but he never did. I filed with Ebay/Paypal and got my money back the same day I filed the claim. In my mind, Ebay does a fantastic job supporing their buyers, if they didn't, they'd be out of business. I even paid 10K for a travel trailer off ebay that was in PA while I live in CA. I paid a moving company to get it here and it was just as described. I also sold a .5 acre piece of property in AK on ebay. Transaction went smoothly.

cadunkle
01-28-2013, 12:42 PM
I generally avoid eBay like the plague ever since they jacked up the pricing to sell and try to force you into getting hit twice with their fees (eBay fees, PayPal fees). I will not sell anything with them anymore. I use CL for that, though with CL going nuts shutting down every decent aggregator, CL has become useless for hard to find parts.

For the same reasons I avoid eBay for selling, I avoid them for buying unless I cannot find what I need anywhere else. I recently ordered a manual steering column and a manual dash with tach for my truck. Both parts are nearly impossible to find locally in junkyards or on CL, so I finally bit the bullet and ordered when I saw them pop up on eBay. For me though, eBay is only a last resort and a pricing guideline on completed auctions.

wotan2525
01-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Sold a few things off Craigslist for a steal but hate meeting people in person.

I changed your quote. I occasionally put "free" items on Craigslist just because I hate seeing usable items go into the dumpster. Recently I put my old garage fridge on there for free. Had a dozen people email that they would "take it" and asking me to pull the ad. I told all of them the same thing -- Fridge is outside, go pick it up and I'll take the ad down when it's gone. After looking at it for a week, I re-listed it and then pulled the ad after a guy I went to high-school with emailed me about it. He never showed up or called me back.

Finally -- the 3rd time I put the ad up... a guy shows up to pick it up. Asks me a million questions about the ice-maker and how quick does it get cold, and why didn't I tell him there was a dent in the side of it? I was like, why the hell are you trying to negotiate? THIS THING IS FREE! Then he dumped it off the two-wheeler trying to load it into his trunk and dented the whole front of it. He started acting like he didn't want it any more and I blew my lid. Almost ended up in a fist-fight on that one.

I'm trying to sell a couple of trucks on Craigslist right now. Probably get 5-10 emails a day asking if it's still available or for other info. I respond and never hear from the people again. Never had these problems before.

2500HD
01-28-2013, 10:57 PM
I bought my truck on ebay and various other items, i mainly use it for pricing along with other sites.
http://s1280.beta.photobucket.com/user/2500hd1/media/IMAG0042_zps734beb22.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

haugy
01-29-2013, 10:28 AM
I guess I'm more CL savy than Ebay. I sold the last Supra on CL. My wife's last two vehicles, a furniture set, etc. But I feel you on the skeezy people. I always go with someone with me when doing high end stuff. They are never allowed to meet at my house unless I know your life history and how to track you down. And I'm 100% armed, every time.

I only use it for high end stuff, not worth the headache for a $20 microwave or some crap.

SupraLaunch21V
02-01-2013, 05:19 PM
I buy and sell quite a bit from both. From eBay, I've purchased three Mustangs, two boats and a lot of useless crap. Only had one issue since 2004 and that was handled rather fairly. CL can be kinda creepy, a lot of ppl throwing rediculous offers. . but then again. . hate to admit it, but that's kind of how I found this Supra.

gogger
02-02-2013, 03:48 PM
I have also bought my wakeboard, my tubes, tow ropes, ski vests, boat fenders, ropes, fire extinguisher, and a ton of other boat stuff off ebay.