PDA

View Full Version : dual battery setup. HELP!

crmiddle8
06-25-2006, 06:52 PM
I came out to my boat this morning (excited to hit the lake) and it was totally dead. I have the dual battery setup and learned the hard way that you don't want to leave it on 1/2.

After giving battery one a sufficient charge, I was able to get this out on the lake today, but none of my electrical items (such as lights, horn, stereo, wake plate, etc) worked.
Even after a couple hours running the engine on the lake, none of these things would work.

Has anyone run accross this? This is my first boat with the dual battery setup and any help is appreciated.

Just as a side note, I have only had this boat 6 weeks and its just the second time its been out. The first time everything worked perfectly, now this.

Thanks
C

dan.smith
06-25-2006, 08:21 PM
I have the dual battery setup on my '02 SSV and had a similar problem last year when the people who winterized my boat left the switch in the 1/2 position for the WHOLE winter! (I store my boat in a 'boat valet' so I didn't see it until Spring).

After a jump on battery 1, I drove it around for a bit (20 minutes?) & then switched over to 1/2 so I could charge the 2nd battery also. After a few hours, I was confident enough to turn it off & re-satrt it & everything has worked fine since.

Did you check all of the fuses/breakers? One could have tripped during the charge. I'm not an EE, but I think these things trip if they get too much current AND too little. Not enough power can be just as harmful as too much...at least thats what I remember from school javascript:smilie(':)');
javascript:smilie(':)');

Dan

crmiddle8
06-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks Dan,

Can you switch from 1 to 1/2 while running the boat or do you need to shut it down?

Today, I never changed from battery 1 which is probably why the accessories aren't working yet.

I don't think any fuses are blown because when I was troubleshooting the problem this morning, I hooked a charger to B2 and my horn, lights and such were working.

Thanks again!
C

dan.smith
06-26-2006, 07:16 AM
On mine, I can switch from 1 -> 1/2 -> 2 while running, but I don't know if it has changed since (again, I have a 2002). I have a dial that goes from OFF to 1 to 1/2 to 2, so I just start it on 1, then switch to 1/2. I try to use a different battery each time out just so they both get charged.

Dan

crmiddle8
06-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks again!

That sounds like good advice.

I will double check with my dealership about switching from 1 to 1/2 or 2 on the fly.

C

Salty87
06-27-2006, 04:08 PM
all of the switches i've seen are marked indicating whether you can switch when running or not. you might want to take a close look at the switch first.

crmiddle8
06-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Will do. Thanks!!