PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Supra Launch SSV light restoration

txnight
02-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Bought this boat last week and the projects have begun.

The price was right and the hours low so I was prepared for the project in front of me.

Project #1 Remove oxidation. The owner hadn't waxed it in years and was going thru an ugly divorce. Typical story. I researched pretty hard and was able to bring the hull back to life with wet sanding, compounding, etc. I removed most of the decals with the exception of the Launch and SSV decals. The wave sticker, giant S and the horizontal stripes were removed to make the job easier. Now I'm thinking I like the look of a naked boat.

My local dealer has quoted me very high prices to install the large chrome decals that come on the newer Supras. Does anyone have a good source for them?

Project #2 Replace ballast system. During my test drive the right valve was stuck open. Easy fix and while I was at it I went ahead and replaced the pump and all three valves. In a past life I installed sprinkler systems so this was pretty straight forward. All working now.

Project #3 I am now ready to turn my focus to the interior. This sounds small but the plastic cup holders are ugly to me. Where can I find stainless steel replacement cup holders? The problem now is I can't figure out how to get the cup holders to pop out. They feel like they are really solid and I don't want to damage the interior. Maybe they are just sealed on there from 10 years of texas heat.

So, here are my questions.
Decal supplier? Doesn't have to be from a supra dealer.
How to remove rear cup holders?
Source for stainless cup holders?
What size is the bolt that holds on the spark arrestor and engine cover? I can't find it anywhere after working on the engine this weekend.
Easy way to upload pictures to these threads? I looked but couldn't find an explanation that I could understand.

Thanks guys, I look forward to learning from you.

Bill D.

ramzak
02-15-2013, 01:52 AM
I would also be very interested in a suplier for the new style chrome decals.

Please write about your decal removal process, wetsanding, etc... Im looking to do that as well on a 2008

txnight
02-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Still no supplier for the chrome decals. I think we are going to replace some of the originals with Vinyl .

Removing the oxidation is slow work. Take your time.

Here is the process we followed. I'm sure we made some mistakes but I'm pleased with the results:
1. On this boat we had to start with 320 or 600 grit wet sanding. I tried 3 different compounds and it simply wouldn't remove the oxidation. It hurt to use that heavy of a sandpaper but it worked.

2. Wet sanding with 1000 grit

3. compound with 3m on a random orbital or polisher.

4. 1200 grit wet sand

5.1500 grit wet sand

6. Meguiars oxidation remover which is essentially a very light compound on a polisher.

7. Check that all the scratches are smoothed back out. At this point the meguiars should have brought the hull to a nice shine and scratches shouldn't be visible. Where necessary wet sand with 1500 or light compound as necessary to smooth out the scratches.

8. Apply two coats of polish.

9. Apply as many coats of wax as your heart desires.

Overall it took roughly 35 man hours to restore the hull. With your boat only being 5 years old maybe you can skip the wet sanding and just use compound. If so it will go much faster and you will not run as much risk of damaging the gel coat.Good luck!

supraaddict
02-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Bill,

The easiest way to upload good pics to the forum.

1. Set up an account at www.imgur.com
2. Upload all your boat pics (especially the ones that you have from wet sanding and polishing the hull :))
3. Select the pic on imgur.com that you want to put in the Supra forum thread.
4. In the top right corner of the image you select on imgur.com copy the Direct Link (email & IM)
5. It will look something like this: http://i.imgur.com/En3Fi.jpg
6. After you have copied the link, go to your thread on this forum and in your comment place the copied image link from imgur.com between these tags linkyoucopiedgoeshere
7. the forum will automatically size your image to fit on the forum webpages.
8. Your image should end up looking something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/En3Fi.jpg

Let me know if you need any more help on this.

KG's Supra24
02-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Someone had another supplier lined up on the Moomba forum for the chrome letters but it didn't turn out well once the products were received. The chrome decals are pricey. I like the naked look but of course I'm biased as mine is mostly naked.

My cup holders don't have anything holding them in. They may just be stuck bc of the heat. I accept no responsibility for damage, though. Ha!

What supraddict explained on the photo's is probably easiest and it gets large photos. I use photobucket instead of imgur.

Congrats on the new ride.

txnight
02-15-2013, 03:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/AGTKgTj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XdRtfxa.jpg

txnight
02-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Addict,
Thanks for the directions. I think I followed your directions correctly. It says that the images are pending approval from a moderator. I guess I don't have enough posts yet.

The cup holders looked they had some spray glue on them to keep them in place. I managed to remove them and got the replacements on the way. It should be a good improvement.

I have another little project in mind. Let me see what you think.

Have any of you ever installed a T on the fill line with a couple of ball valves and used it as a hose or an extra line to fill additional ballast bags? It seems simple and it would be nice to have a hose to spray things off with out having to throw another pump over the side.

Bill D.

supraaddict
02-15-2013, 03:44 PM
No problem, that thing is shinin' Love the color scheme of course!

supraaddict
02-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Did all of your scratches come out of the black gelcoat? I have some on the back of the transom where everyone hits it with their boards. I am going to wet sand and buff mine while I summerize this year and was just curious.

txnight
02-15-2013, 07:02 PM
Addict, Can you see the pictures? I can't see them when I look at the thread.

The black area looks great. Using the different grits of compound worked well to remove the fine scratches. Set the polisher to a low rpm and take your time.

supraaddict
02-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I can see them. Thanks for the info on the black gelcoat, I'll be starting on mine soon.

jhgsupra
02-16-2013, 08:47 AM
txnight,

I'll be watching how this progresses as I also have an '03 that is accumulating quit a bit of wear and tear on the hull as well as the interior. We keep ours in the water during the summer months so the Supra Wave decals are coming off and look like hell. Not sure if I want to replace them as the cost may not be worth it.

The one question I have for both you and supraddict is how are your interiors holding up? I've already replaced the back seat skin but now my engine and rear bag compartment covers are starting to crack and show lots wear.

Where are your pictures of your gelcoat work? I don't see a link.

Good Luck!

supraaddict
02-16-2013, 01:37 PM
I will have to replace my backseat cushion this year. I think I am going to have mine seamed in three places instead of being one large piece of vinyl where everyone steps down to get into the boat.

Other than that mine is in great condition.

Jetlink
02-16-2013, 02:05 PM
I changed my rear seat cushion from three pieces to one bench piece for convenience. With the three piece cushion, you've now increased hiding spots for water to get down into and allow mildew to develop.

TitanTn
02-16-2013, 05:29 PM
I don't see any photos either. Were the links removed for some reason?

txnight
02-16-2013, 06:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/AGTKgTj.jpg

txnight
02-16-2013, 06:45 PM
I uploaded a link again but it still says that it is pending moderator approval.

The seats in our boat are in great condition. Having had it for only two weeks I can't comment on how the boat has been used but with only 200 hours its obvious it spend a lot of time in a garage.

Www.oceanpalmgraphics.com has a few supra stickers that you could use to replace your wave graphic.

Bill D.

jhgsupra
02-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Www.oceanpalmgraphics.com has a few supra stickers that you could use to replace your wave graphic.

Thanks! This may be the ticket.

sybrmike
02-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Sharp looking boat! Congrats on the addition.

Yes, an extra ballast hose can come in handy. When adding a hidden ballast system to my old Salt, I tee'd off my front reversible impeller pump & added a ~10' section of hose finished off with a ball valve and twist lock fitting (wakemakers). I have the mating fitting on the one 750# sac that is moved port or starboard for surfing. The hose & sac store under the observer's seat when not used.

txnight
02-17-2013, 02:41 AM
So, now that you have seen the boat Naked what do you think about leaving it that way?

Right now the idea is that we will add a silver wave back in the black area on the corner and a black supra sticker on the side glass. Thoughts?

txnight
02-17-2013, 02:42 AM
So, now that you have seen the boat Naked what do you think about leaving it that way?

Right now the idea is that we will add a silver wave back in the black area on the corner and a black supra sticker on the side glass. Thoughts?

jhgsupra
02-17-2013, 08:33 AM

I personally like it and I'm now considering doing the same with mine. My only issue is my boat has the all black side which in my opinion won't look as good without graphics as your blue/black does. OBTW, Your gel coat looks great!

jhgsupra
02-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Still no supplier for the chrome decals. I think we are going to replace some of the originals with Vinyl .

Removing the oxidation is slow work. Take your time.

Here is the process we followed. I'm sure we made some mistakes but I'm pleased with the results:
1. On this boat we had to start with 320 or 600 grit wet sanding. I tried 3 different compounds and it simply wouldn't remove the oxidation. It hurt to use that heavy of a sandpaper but it worked.

2. Wet sanding with 1000 grit

3. compound with 3m on a random orbital or polisher.

4. 1200 grit wet sand

5.1500 grit wet sand

6. Meguiars oxidation remover which is essentially a very light compound on a polisher.

7. Check that all the scratches are smoothed back out. At this point the meguiars should have brought the hull to a nice shine and scratches shouldn't be visible. Where necessary wet sand with 1500 or light compound as necessary to smooth out the scratches.

8. Apply two coats of polish.

9. Apply as many coats of wax as your heart desires.

Overall it took roughly 35 man hours to restore the hull. With your boat only being 5 years old maybe you can skip the wet sanding and just use compound. If so it will go much faster and you will not run as much risk of damaging the gel coat.Good luck!

txnight,

A few questions about your oxidation removal as I've never done this sort of thing before. Did you do all the wet sanding by hand? Also, did you just do the sides of the boat or did you do the cap as well? How difficult is it to sand around the raised Supra graphics? I'm concerned about permanently scratching my gel coat in those areas.

I don't think that I have much oxidation however after years of exposure to sunshine I'm guessing it has slowly developed without me noticing it.

If you did much of this by hand I would think it would wear you out after 35hrs of it!

Thanks,

Joe G.

txnight
02-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Joe,

The wet sanding was done by hand. Everything above of the rub rail had been under a cover and was in good shape. We made the decision to remove all the decals except for the Launch and SSV. Having the decals out of the way made removing the oxidation possible. Otherwise it would have been impossible. Working around the letters takes lots of time and should be done in 10 to 30 seconds spurts. Lots of water and stopping to check if you have sanded enough.

I had no idea the oxidation was as bad as it was until I began removing the decals. There was a moment of "what am I going to do now"

I'm looking for some LED bulbs right not for the three lights inside, the two bow lights (MR16) and the light above the swim platform if anyone has a supplier and a part number.

Bill D.

supraaddict
02-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Atwood makes a LED Bow Nav light I'm thinking of ordering one myself. Here is the link to one:
http://www.iboats.com/Stainless-Steel-LED-Red-Green-Bow-Light-Attwood/dm/cart_id.036752020--session_id.911300550--view_id.366688

As far as the transom nav light, there is an LED for it as well, I am just not sure if it will fit so I am going to order one soon for testing. They can be purchased here:
http://www.ledlight.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=84634

txnight
02-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Addict,
Thanks for the links. Do you have a replacement for the docking lights on the bow?

supraaddict
02-17-2013, 09:43 PM
I haven't looked into docking lights, I don't even know what type of bulb it is. I will look next time I go to storage where my boat is.

supraaddict
02-17-2013, 09:56 PM
I am guessing it is a 55 watt Halogen bulb, I am sure it will be hard to find something that will be just as bright and will still fit in the housing. There is a replacement from Atwood but I'm not sure if it will fit. It is a complete replacement housing and all and runs about $135.

txnight
02-17-2013, 09:59 PM
It's called a MR16. The thing to pay attention to is the degree of the beam. I pulled the bulbs and they were philips 12v20watt 36

There are lots of choices on superbrightleds and oznium.

I'm also looking for replacements for the three courtesy lights inside the boat. Looks like I might have to settle for just brighter bulb as opposed to LED's

supraaddict
02-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Well there are direct replacements for the MR16 on ebay. I just read a thread over at WW that said there are direct plug and plays on Ebay.

supraaddict
02-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Here's a cheap one that ends in 22min if you don't mind ordering from Hong Kong:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9W-MR16-3-3W-Home-Indoor-LED-Downlight-Bulb-cool-White-lamp-spot-light-12V-power-/330874927854?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D11%26meid%3D5670242375104919111%26pid%3D100 011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D150802129229%26

HIFLYR
02-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Atwood makes a LED Bow Nav light I'm thinking of ordering one myself. Here is the link to one:
http://www.iboats.com/Stainless-Steel-LED-Red-Green-Bow-Light-Attwood/dm/cart_id.036752020--session_id.911300550--view_id.366688

As far as the transom nav light, there is an LED for it as well, I am just not sure if it will fit so I am going to order one soon for testing. They can be purchased here:

Bought a replacement for my 07 24SSV at lowes no problem finding it.

txnight
02-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Here is a little better picture of the oxidation damage before we tackled it. I kinda thought the baby blue fade was pretty :D

http://i.imgur.com/gHNPsZA.jpg

Here is the updates. Nothing too exciting.
Pulled the spark plugs. I'm sure they were original because they were filthy. Installed the NGK Vpower plugs.

Installed new impeller. The one I pulled out was in good shape but it is hard to know that before you pull it. Pretty simple job and using the paint can opener was a great trick.

Pulled all the cup holders out. Impossible to get out with out breaking the plastic holders. New stainless holders should be here today. $70 off of Amazon is a pretty good deal.

added ball valves and tee to the fill line on the driver side ballast area.

Can't wait for warmer temps.

supraaddict
02-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Wow, what a difference. Looks like you did a good job on the oxidation gelcoat correction.

txnight
02-19-2013, 05:12 PM
HIFLYR,
Was the bulb for the transom a 1156 or 1157? I'm looking at them on the internet and the base is a little different. Lots of choices on Amazon for $5-$10. I'm going to pull it tonight to check. It's pretty easy to tell if you are holding the bulb. The 1156 has one filament where the 1157 will have two filaments.

supraaddict
02-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Mine was a 6Cp it's shorter than an 1156 or 1157 but with the same base.

txnight
02-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Darn, the 6cp is harder to find in an LED bulb. Go figure.

supraaddict
02-19-2013, 06:32 PM
This is the LED replacement that should work on your transom nav light:

txnight
02-19-2013, 06:34 PM
I have a couple of each size in a toolbox. Going to try them out tonight.

Which base do you order? The 1157 and 1156 have different tabs on the sides. one is the same while the other is a little more staggered

txnight
02-19-2013, 06:44 PM
http://cresteastcoast.com/Catalog/WP2_Bulbs.pdf

I'm getting too obsessive about these lights! Here is a nice chart with all the different bulbs.

txnight
02-21-2013, 01:14 PM
I'm considering plastidipping the tower speakers and board racks. Anyone have an opinion on what color? I was thinking the gun metal gray would look nice.

I have done some small parts with plastidip and it is incredible stuff and easy to remove when you want a change.

TitanTn
02-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Sounds cool. I haven't seen much in custom plastic dipping. Is this something local to you, or do you send it off?

txnight
02-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Titan, any home depot or napa carries plastidip. Check it out on youtube. It's very simple and comes in an aerosol can or gallons.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/

Last year we sprayed a friends project motorcycle. 6 months later he wanted a different color. In two hours we pulled off the plastidip and resprayed the first two coats.

TitanTn
02-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Wow! That is cool stuff. I have never heard of it, but now my mind is going crazy thinking of possible uses. I'm going to have to try it out.

txnight
03-05-2013, 05:29 PM
http://i.imgur.com/1nBw02K.jpg

finished up the LED project last night. I can pass on links and directions on what I did if anyone wants some tips. The light isn't nearly as bright in person as it appears.

supraaddict
03-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Wow! Looks good man nice job!!!

txnight
03-05-2013, 05:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/uVSBCsY.jpg Here's a few with the new driving lights. 50watt equivalent LED Bulbs are bright and cool to the touch.
http://i.imgur.com/xfbODPL.jpg

TitanTn
03-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Very nice. I have a small interior LED project that I hope to get to this spring. And maybe for next winter I'd like to consider a driving light addition. For those of you that have them, do you find them useful?

txnight
05-29-2013, 01:27 PM
Delayed response: oops

I do find that the driving lights are useful. Especially coming into a slip or trying to get on a trailer at night. If anything they make me much brighter on the water and will hopefully keep the drunks from running into me.

jzelt
05-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Not legal to run at night with, but we do use them for docking at night. Helps with seeing the trailer guides and bow post when loading at night.

jmcmaster1976
10-15-2014, 08:47 AM
Can anyone post a link to the right courtesy leds in the 2003 ssv and the dash leds for my gauges?

txnight
12-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Thread resurrection!!

The last two summers with this boat have been great. Boat now has 300 hours so it seems to be getting used enough to justify having it. Minor issues like batteries, the radio getting stolen and a new starter have come and gone. Typical joys of boat ownership I suppose.

Despite being covered and in a slip the boat was getting a little dirty and I was looking for a winter project. The boat now sits in my hangar and the projects have begun.

Fun projects:
Swim platform- Create a smaller swim platform with an integrated/manual surf gate. Lots of ideas floating around.

Ballast- Upgrade rear ballast bags to 750lbs. Add vents to all bags. Install bow ballast bag.

Carpet- All floor carpet will get replaced. The carpeted rear lockers are going to get sprayed with a rhinoliner type product.

Less fun projects:

Remove all hardware, windshields, seats, lights, etc. Anything that gets in the way of polishing both the inside and outside.

Vinyl repair: There are two cuts and one seat bottom that shows some discoloration. Going to attempt vinyl repair.

Rudder shake: At any weight the boat has developed rudder shake when getting on plane. The shake goes away above 6 mph but it sounds awful and is shaking the hell out of the dash area. From inside the engine compartment I can wiggle the rudder about 3/4 inch both directions. Fixing this is a priority.

Steering Cable replacement: Steering wheel isn't necessarily hard to turn but it isn't as smooth as I would like it to be. While I have the floor and drivers seat out for carpet I'm going to replace the cable.

Pictures of what little I have done so far to follow.

txnight
12-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Took off the LAUNCH and SSV logo. Wet sanded up to 2000. The picture doesn't do a good job showing how rough the gel coat is now. Polishing and waxing will make it like new.

http://i.imgur.com/07ATrBv.jpg

That's all I have to show for now.

If you have any ideas on the rudder shake I'm all ears.

Have a great one, Bill D.

CornRickey
12-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Before you start at wet sanding I recommend trying a area with heavy, medium, light rubbing compound. I think people go to at sanding a little too fast. Also if you using Maguires (I recommend) add between the fine cut and wax step- Ultra Polish . With the compound process done properly the Polish is the best bang for you buck when it comes to a deep some.

txnight
12-04-2014, 09:00 PM
All good advice. Unfortunately I have compounded this boat once before. It was heavily oxidized when we purchased it two years ago.

It's no fun but the results are worth it!

txnight
12-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Monday update:

Carpet work:
Got all the carpet removed. The effects of the previous owner leaving it outside for a few years are gross. Lots of cleaning in my future.

http://i.imgur.com/g1t0gip.jpg

With the floor panels and rear locker panels removed it was a good time to inspect the steering cable. After disconnecting the cable from the steering wheel I went to work disconnecting it from the rudder. That is when I stumbled across the clamp block. Previously hidden from view it became apparent that this was the cause of my vibration issues. After wrestling with it for an hour it finally came out.

http://i.imgur.com/vgnaRlp.jpg

Have a great week!

txnight
12-12-2014, 11:00 AM
Update time. Still waiting on parts has enabled me to work on fun stuff this week.

Cover your eyes if you don't like seeing stock fiberglass chopped up.

Swim platform design: There are two reasons I wanted to create a new platform.
#1 Last summer I left the swim platform on the dock and tried out the surf wave. There was a noticeable difference in the face and shape of the wave.
#2 I want to incorporate a simple surf gate and the stock platform doesn't work with my idea.

Researching platform builds turned up custom teak platforms, use composite decking, glassed over plywood.....there are lots of great ideas out there. My final decision was to cut my stock platform and modify it. I haven't seen anyone else do this so I hope I haven't committed an unforgivable grievance.

Last night I got out the tape and played with different ideas. Seeing it laid out helped to visualize what I was doing.

Final design:
http://i.imgur.com/Oms4JSAl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Uib6CsMl.jpg

This measurement is in the corner of the platform: 6 inches removed

http://i.imgur.com/Lq5lGcll.jpg

Back of the platform: 5 inches removed

http://i.imgur.com/23Yil1Vl.jpg

txnight
12-12-2014, 11:01 AM
First cut made and a shot of the tools used: First cut was made with a 4 1/2 angle grinder with a metal cut off disk. It worked really well except that it did't go all the way thru. To finish the cut I put a metal blade in a the sawzall. It cut like butter but did leave a little big of a rough edge that will need to be sanded smooth.

http://i.imgur.com/xNwzAMJl.jpg

All done with the cutting and everything appears symmetrical. Big sigh of relief.

http://i.imgur.com/Exiwaccl.jpg

Overhead shot. Still plenty of room to strap on the wakeboard or have a seat.

http://i.imgur.com/AjPjMfKl.jpg

Side shot. The picture makes it appear that the back isn't straight but it is. Lots of dust everywhere but easy to clean up.

http://i.imgur.com/KHWMEUrl.jpg

txnight
12-12-2014, 11:20 AM
With the excess cut away it appears that my simple idea might work out.

Measurement of how thick the platform is now.

http://i.imgur.com/XHRKJNAl.jpg

Modified platform steps:

Sand smooth rough edges and seal the edges with fiberglass resin.

Create a frame to go around the outside edge of the platform using 1.25 x 1.25 x .065 stainless tubing. This will attach to all three stock brackets and spread the load out created by the attached surf gates.

My idea is that the surf gate will attach to the frame and one stock bracket using two pivot points and a turn buckle.

When it's all said and done I will wrap the platform in hydro turf to make it pretty.

That's it for today. Feel free to flame me and criticize what I have started. I like the motivation :D

Have a great weekend!!

TitanTn
12-12-2014, 07:23 PM
No criticism. It's your boat, but wow, I'm guessing you thought about this a lot before making the first cut. What would scare me is that you don't really know what the performance difference will be - if any. Personally, it's not worth it, but I'm not a hardcore skier. I like having the rail on the back of the platform to hold while we're floating and to aid in climbing back in. It's not easy for everyone.

Ptownkid
12-13-2014, 11:57 AM
Totally...i would not have had the balls to cut the platform. Would have made a new one. However, he is concerned with surfing, and that alteration will undoubtedly have a positive performance impact on his wave.

CornRickey
12-13-2014, 01:25 PM
I would run it loaded down and see if you have taken enough off before the finish work. How mine runs flat in the water I think I would need to remove more to make a impact.

txnight
12-13-2014, 07:22 PM
All good points about the rail and its usefulness. However the gap between the rail and the platform bothered me and I was ready to trash it. I caught my toe in that gap last summer and boy did that hurt. To aid getting in I think I will take a router and cut in two handholds.

Looking forward to receiving my samples of hyrdoturf this week. Got some fun plans for it.

Anyone have a lead for electric trim actuators?

Bill D.

txnight
03-12-2015, 09:48 AM
Nice to see it is finally getting a little warmer in our area. Recent rains are helping the lakes and we are ready for summer!

Feeling motivated I started back on the interior project. The carpet glue I'm using wont tack up or dry if the outside temperature is below 60F. That's my excuse for waiting three months to get around to this.

I purchased the carpet from ebay. It is a little darker than expected but looks nice. Didn't really realize how nasty the old carpet had become.

Surprisingly fast shipping and I'm pleased with the quality. I would recommend this ebay seller. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Marine-Grade-Carpet-24oz-8-Custom-Length-Color/280623799657?_trksid=p3693.c100102.m2452&_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140212121249%26meid%3D1 edff3e1b56f44a384224beb69e0c415%26pid%3D100102%26

I have a few more miscellaneous pieces to go. This job would have been so much easier if you didn't have to work around those floor panels. They made it a little tricky to get the cuts correct without wasting a lot of carpet.

http://i.imgur.com/1PyWw9v.jpg

I'm on the hunt for the vinyl trim along the bottom of the fiberglass. Feel free to offer a suggestion.

Also removed the launch letters off the sides and wet polished/buffed. Might just run it naked this year while I look for an updated supra logo that looks right to me.

http://i.imgur.com/bMSYalZ.jpg

That's all I have to report. Just wanted to add something to the conversation.

barelyfloating
03-12-2015, 10:19 AM
We have a very similar model (2001, 22SSZ). I bought it used three years ago, and absolutely love it. I’m a full blown DIY guy too, so feel free to hit me up with any questions. I spent an entire winter last year removing decals and wet sanding/polishing/waxing the hull. No clue how many hours it took, and my right hand was numb for a month afterwards. Here are some picks.

FYI - After all of that work I noticed the hard water spots after a day of boating were not simply wiping away. I tried countless "spray-n-wipe" products until I stumbled onto Boat Bling. I am not a sales rep or in any way, so this is not a troll. Regardless, each of these products are absolutely amazing. Give them a shot.

http://boatbling.net/

Note – I just found a source that sells this stuff online at a great price. Stocked about on gallon jugs, and everything delivered as advertised.

http://www.jmsonline.net/catalogsearch/result/?q=boat+bling

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115566

barelyfloating
03-12-2015, 10:29 AM
Nice to see it is finally getting a little warmer in our area. Recent rains are helping the lakes and we are ready for summer!

Feeling motivated I started back on the interior project. The carpet glue I'm using wont tack up or dry if the outside temperature is below 60F. That's my excuse for waiting three months to get around to this.

I purchased the carpet from ebay. It is a little darker than expected but looks nice. Didn't really realize how nasty the old carpet had become.

Surprisingly fast shipping and I'm pleased with the quality. I would recommend this ebay seller. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Marine-Grade-Carpet-24oz-8-Custom-Length-Color/280623799657?_trksid=p3693.c100102.m2452&_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140212121249%26meid%3D1 edff3e1b56f44a384224beb69e0c415%26pid%3D100102%26

I have a few more miscellaneous pieces to go. This job would have been so much easier if you didn't have to work around those floor panels. They made it a little tricky to get the cuts correct without wasting a lot of carpet.

I'm on the hunt for the vinyl trim along the bottom of the fiberglass. Feel free to offer a suggestion.

Also removed the launch letters off the sides and wet polished/buffed. Might just run it naked this year while I look for an updated supra logo that looks right to me.

I need to do a carpet job as weel. How hard is it to pull out the old stuff? Can you estimate the total time it took to complete the job?

jarodag99
03-12-2015, 04:25 PM
:mad: I had a response all typed up then the web timed out on me. You could bring carpet up from the floor to the underside of the seats like they do in newer boats but that's a little more involved moving some lights/etc. Flooring companies usually can edge the carpet to give it a finished look. That edge would be just below the lip of your seating (so, finished but mostly not visible anyway). I thought about the same thing on my '04. I've had her for 10 years, it's probably time to update it! Your carpet work looks awesome! Beyond that, a dealer could probably locate some.

barelyfloating
03-13-2015, 09:11 AM
How many hours do you have into that carpet project? I went through the wetsand hull refresh party last season.

FYI - I found these products after many false starts. They have made maintaining the hull work a breeze.

http://boatbling.net/

txnight
04-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Hi everyone, first time on the lake this weekend so I thought I would check in with some photos.

Rounded off the edges and scuffed up everything for pad install.
http://i.imgur.com/pfkgNYs.jpg

I bought the self adhesive backed sheet. Shipping was very fast and it arrived in good condition. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00843WH8I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also used this glue. It hasn't ever let me down on several projects and if used correctly it seems to last.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/36141670?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227025946189&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=59242185632&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=122258039072&veh=sem

Up close shot
http://i.imgur.com/jIpVOB5.jpg

on the boat:
http://i.imgur.com/6f6k2RD.jpg

txnight
04-20-2015, 01:09 PM
Next time I will get better photos of the face wave under normal conditions. Only two of us in the boat with no fuel and 500lbs of ballast wasn't a very good test to see if I cut off enough. Taking almost six inches off plus the metal grab rail is sure to make a difference.

If the platform material holds up for a few years I will be very pleased. It feels solid under your bare feet and isn't slippery.

This is my friend Sam enjoying his first time on a surfboard. He tossed the rope in with no problem (jealous of you skinny guys!)

http://i.imgur.com/aFe0jxwl.jpg

Have a great week!

TitanTn
04-20-2015, 05:18 PM
Looks great. If you could only figure out how to emboss a Supra logo in the middle of that it'd be awesome. But it does look good as is.

2500HD
05-08-2015, 11:40 AM

Did you every find a place that sells the vinyl trim?

txnight
05-26-2015, 02:05 PM
I cleaned off the old trim and installed this. Easy to install and looks nice and clean.

http://www.basscatstore.com/rubbercarpettrim.aspx

http://i.imgur.com/B9QnSZll.jpg