PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Removal tips needed for 1987 supra Sunsport 351

mabbore
02-19-2013, 11:27 AM
I have a 1987 Supra sunsport that I picked up last winter and put almost 200 hours on this summer! We had a blast but at the end of the summer the reverse went out on the transmission. I have checked the fluid level, fluid color, transmission cables and other fun stuff, but I am pretty sure it is an internal engine. I found a place not to far from me that specializes in marine direct drive transmissions. I have 2 questions:

1. has any one used these guys, or heard of them before. They sound very through but just want to ask.
http://federalmarinetransmissions.com/

2. do any of you have any transmission removal tips. I would really rather leave the transmission mounts in the stringers and just remove the transmission it self. I was planning on building a small truss, or just putting some 2X4s under the engine to support it while the transmission is out. Any help would be great.

ngavchris
02-19-2013, 10:47 PM
I have a 97' sunsport. I had to remove the transmission a couple of years ago. I did what you said exactly. Put 2x4 blocks under back of engine. The engine actually balances pretty well on the front mounts, only slight pressure on blocks. Lifted transmission out by myself. I left the mounts attached to boat. Make sure you realign engine and tranny after work is complete. Me and an old friend worked on mine. Ski dim had manual and all parts. They will talk you thru any issues.

haugy
02-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Read here:

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?10382-Fiy-damper-plate-replacement&p=70239#post70239

I removed my transmission to do my damper plate.

mabbore
02-20-2013, 06:28 PM
I have a 97' sunsport. I had to remove the transmission a couple of years ago. I did what you said exactly. Put 2x4 blocks under back of engine. The engine actually balances pretty well on the front mounts, only slight pressure on blocks. Lifted transmission out by myself. I left the mounts attached to boat. Make sure you realign engine and tranny after work is complete. Me and an old friend worked on mine. Ski dim had manual and all parts. They will talk you thru any issues.

Thanks, Im pulling it out next weekend and will let you know how it goes.