PDA

View Full Version : Who has changed their Boatbuddy for Rollers

ditchsnake
02-20-2013, 11:16 PM
I have been thinking about either installing a new boatbuddy on my trailer and was reading a thread about a custom trailer and noticed he went with a roller instead? Who has changed their's to a roller? Watcha think? Also on an 08 trailer with a 22ssv are they 3/8 or 1/2 boat buddy. Noticed bass pro has the 3/8 for 59.

beat taco
02-20-2013, 11:32 PM
I went to a roller. Mine had a 1/2" boat buddy. The roller doesn't mar the front of my boat. The other issue I had was your supposed to unlock it when towing so its really just so you can click in and pull up the ramp. I dont power load so its easy enough for me to hook the strap up and go.

ramzak
02-21-2013, 12:45 AM
I'm the guy with the new custom trailer. I went back and forth with the trailer builder weather to install a boat buddy or not. It was ultimately my choice. McClain Trailers claim that they never really work 100% and are almost impossible to adjust right. I had ordered it with a trailer buddy originally and the day I went to pick up the trailer(trailer buddy already installed and adjusted) I had them throw the roller on there.

Yes they do scratch/mar up the gel coat. Rollers offer more cushion and compensate for many variables.

I can always throw the boat buddy back on there...

ditchsnake
02-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I found a new 1/2 boat buddy for 47 plus 10 for shipping from kodiac trailer components. Pretty cheap. I read about guys putting silicone on the plastic. Would help I think.

kevkev
02-21-2013, 09:19 PM
I just bought a new trailer last year & switched boat buddy out for roller. Wouldn't go back if you paid me.

tg0824SSVGG
02-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Well, everyone has their own experiences, and I usually try to stay out of this particular discussion, but ...

All of that said, I would not give up MY boat buddy if you paid me. I have even replaced parts on it.

Nothing like not getting wet, driver pulls boat onto trailer with truck driver still in seat - you hear a click and then
DRIVE AWAY while the others are all wet and CRANKING.

I guess if you never figured out the correct RHYTHM and depth, it would SUCK - but I LOVE mine.

kevkev
02-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Pulling on the trailer was never the issue, it was always getting it to release before sticking the boat in the water.

TitanTn
02-21-2013, 11:35 PM
KarolinaKid on this forum has a boat buddy and it always works great. It always releases and it a breeze when loading. I haven't closely inspected the hull, but I'm not aware of it leaving scratches.

ditchsnake
02-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Thats so funny. Seems that you either love it or hate it's guts! It does mar the paint but nothing so far that wouldn't buff out. Interesting. I've only had one issue of them not releasing and had to float the boat a bit and crank up on the winch to relieve pressure on the pin. Talked to a guy at Kodiac Trailer components and he was telling me that they have worked on wrecked boats and trailers with the boat buddy where the boat didn't come off the boat buddy. Good to know
KarolinaKid on this forum has a boat buddy and it always works great. It always releases and it a breeze when loading. I haven't closely inspected the hull, but I'm not aware of it leaving scratches.

beat taco
02-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Pulling on the trailer was never the issue, it was always getting it to release before sticking the boat in the water.

Use it for retrieval. Once you pull your boat and get off the ramp unlock the pin and hook up your strap and chain. Towing with the pin engaged will bend it eventually, also it can be a pita to unlock after the bunks are dry and the boat settles against the pin. But if you've ever noticed the bow of your boat bouncing slightly over bumps or whatever while towing you can imagine what that's doing to the pin on the boat buddy.

jonyb
02-22-2013, 05:20 PM
i dumped the boat buddy after it screwed up my boat in several different places.

Anybody that can't load a boat without a second person getting out of the truck, or getting wet, needs to go back to boat school. There's a way to do it, you just have to want to. That way doesn't involve getting wet, using more people, anything.

ditchsnake
02-22-2013, 06:54 PM
jonyb it's nice to see your alive and kicking. How's life, work and the stereo shop going. I really don't disagree with you. The only problem is it's mama that does the backing and I load the boat. As far as school goes, I'm just gettin dumber and liking it that way. Must be an old man thing. I can lock up the boat and tighten the winch strap from the boat with it in gear. We usually hit the lake about the second week in march to late in october. The early spring water was 43. Not bad with a dry suit but it sucks to stand in the water without one. Sounds like I'm gonna get a roller and try it and see which one I like better. Found them in black and yellow. Both would match nice. Nice to hear from you again, Geno

ditchsnake
02-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Sorry, did you ever sell your boat? It was a beauty!

jonyb
02-22-2013, 07:15 PM
jonyb it's nice to see your alive and kicking. How's life, work and the stereo shop going. I really don't disagree with you. The only problem is it's mama that does the backing and I load the boat. As far as school goes, I'm just gettin dumber and liking it that way. Must be an old man thing. I can lock up the boat and tighten the winch strap from the boat with it in gear. We usually hit the lake about the second week in march to late in october. The early spring water was 43. Not bad with a dry suit but it sucks to stand in the water without one. Sounds like I'm gonna get a roller and try it and see which one I like better. Found them in black and yellow. Both would match nice. Nice to hear from you again, Geno
Hey Gene! Still the same here, full time job and still running a shop. We've got a lot of new car dealers we're doing lift installs for, so it's really picked up.

On the roller, wifey can stay in the truck. Just pull the boat up until it bumps the bow eye, then go up there and hook it. You can reach over the bow without having to go far enough to fall in. If you're in an incline, leave the boat in gear just barely above idle to keep it on the roller.

Sorry, did you ever sell your boat? It was a beauty!
Sure did. Sold it on here actually, in January of 2012. The buyer is a member here but I can't remember his name. Don't think he's posted here at all though.

tg0824SSVGG
02-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Hi John,

Long time no see, then 3 posts in a single day! Wow. Anyway, I've contended for a long time people either love or HATE the boat buddy. You and I will always disagree on this (until mine does me wrong and I don't like it anymore).

That's cool - to each his own!

Todd

jonyb
02-22-2013, 08:35 PM
i won't disagree with that Todd, but have you had a roller on this trailer?

tg0824SSVGG
02-22-2013, 08:53 PM
No, not on this trailer, but on the previous one.

Jetlink
02-22-2013, 10:59 PM
I am beginning to feel like I'm missing out. I don't have a roller or a boat buddy on my trailer.

This is what I have to deal with...

TitanTn
02-22-2013, 11:08 PM
I am beginning to feel like I'm missing out. I don't have a roller or a boat buddy on my trailer.

Be glad to don't have to make difficult decisions like this!

ditchsnake
02-23-2013, 12:34 AM
I am beginning to feel like I'm missing out. I don't have a roller or a boat buddy on my trailer. Now thats funny. Your going to have to get one, the other or both. Then you can be just like us and have something to whine about. I am relly going to get a roller and try both this summer. I think the real problem is winter in colorado. If it was warmer, I'd be on the lake and not looking for projects. Thanks guys

jonyb
02-23-2013, 07:29 AM
Gotta have something to compain about, especially when it's too cold to go outside and enjoy anything :D

KG's Supra24
02-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Ive always been with Todd on this. When you get used to it, it works great and makes you look like a pro.

I started having issues with mine engaging this past year, though. Perhaps i need to replace some parts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jonyb
02-23-2013, 11:42 AM
The reason I hated mine so much is because of a few reasons. This is hard to explain from a keyboard.

1 - When you pull the boat up to the bowstop, and the boat buddy contacts the boat, the rubber against the gelcoat completely stops the boat. It does'nt roll, it just pushes teh truck up the hill. You have to dunk the trailer too far in, get the boat up to a certain point, then pull the truck up a little. When this happened, bunks were wet. And if you guys say to soap the boat buddy to make it slick, then what's the point?

2 - After the second or third time of use, the pin got bent. After you've wrestled the son-of-a-B up the trailer and finally got it loaded, the driver is ready to pull up. When the truck starts moving, the boat pulls back against the pin, putting it in a bind. The next time you go to launch the boat, you can't get the pin out. I spent 10 minutes trying to pull the pin out. The only way possible was to have the boat completely floating, and me NOT in the boat, but standing next to the trailer - on algae - about to bust my a$$. Then when the pin does get pulled, it's a race to get in the boat before it gets away. It's probably pretty funny to people watching - "look at that idiot!" when it's actually the stupid Boat Buddy that hurts more than helps. So then, you go out, have fun, or have other problems like vaporlocking or panels fall apart from poor quality builds - and you're back trying to load the boat. You spend another 10 minutes trying to fight the issue in #1 listed above, and then the pin won't set because it's bent. The 4,500# boat pulling against it last time won the battle.

After Boatmate fixed all the damage on my trailer mostly created by the Boat Buddy - bowstop was bent all to hell, and had holes in it - they installed a roller. From that point on, here's how it worked out for me - I backed down to the edge of the water, close to the waterline - stopped, disconnected the winch, installed the plug, hopped in the boat. Wife backed the truck down far enough to get water to the intake, boat was started, idled for a couple minutes, then at my direction she backed the truck far enough down to back the trailer off. Loading - trailer was dunked, pulled back up to the perfect angle - after finding the sweet spot - I drove the boat on the trailer, went up and hooked the winch, gave it 2 turns, shut the boat down, then we're driving up the ramp. Loaded in less than 1 minute, with a boat driver, and a truck driver.

If you guys still praise the POS called a Boat Buddy, you obviously haven't had the problems that I had. It only took a few times to realize it wasn't created for these boats.

TitanTn
02-23-2013, 12:27 PM
It's obvious that hull shape, trailer configuration, and setup of the buddy can make or break the process. I have a roller and my steps are extremely similar to yours, and I have very similar results. It's easy, and I don't have to get in the water. But yet, it's just that much easier for my friend with the boat buddy. He never has any issues with releasing the boat, and the hull is not marred by the boat buddy. It basically works the same except he doesn't have to get out of his seat, lean over the front to hook the bow eye and tighten the winch. He just drives the boat straight on the trailer until it clicks and then turns the engine off. His wife just pulls him out.

It's good that we're getting all experiences documented here so people can understand that it's not a silver bullet and "your experience may vary." But after what I've seen with KarolinaKid's boat, it certainly is possible for it to work as advertised.

KG's Supra24
02-23-2013, 12:49 PM
The 24 trailer that Todd, Jon, and myself have was a pretty bad design. Bowstop is too high for our nose. I understand what Jon experienced with wedging the boat into and not onto it. I guess an important note would be i typically load with some rear weight.

Dusty has the same setup and replaced his boat buddy with a roller.

Todd, did you buy replacement parts from boatmate? I had trouble with mine this past summer.

jonyb
02-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Another big issue is the size and weight of the boat. Mine and KG's are 24's, and they're tanks. I'm sure the guys with 20's aren't having the same problems.
Bowstops on these trailers are a problem though, like KG mentioned. On that note, Boatmate was great to work with on that issue.

tg0824SSVGG
02-23-2013, 02:36 PM
I will have to see if I can find where I got the new parts when I get home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tg0824SSVGG
02-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Here is where I got the parts

http://www.kodiaktrailer.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ditchsnake
02-23-2013, 03:58 PM
I had to talk to them on the phone but just ordered the 5000# model for 47 plus shipping. 10 from tx to co. I wanted to order the plastic shroud but it was 37. Kinda a no brainer. I have a spare that your welcome to. Plastic is danaged but the mech. works great. Just have to pay the shipping. Probably about 10. When I took it apart it isn't the pin that was bent it was the mechanism. I was able to straighten it out on the vise. Pulled it with the boat on the trailer.
Ive always been with Todd on this. When you get used to it, it works great and makes you look like a pro.

I started having issues with mine engaging this past year, though. Perhaps i need to replace some parts.

ditchsnake
02-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Oh I forgot, you have to order it as bulk and not a kit for that price. This doesn't come with a new bow eye. Also for the guys like john that have changed to a roller is the hole for the boatbuddy the correct size and location for the roller. I was going to measure to make sure the spread for a roller on my post is correct.

jonyb
02-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Gene you may be better off talking to Owen or the other guy at Boatmate. I'm pretty sure you can replace the BB with a roller without any modification, seems like that's what we discussed back in those days on the phone. They'll know the right size and sell you what you need. Seems like their pricing was right on par with anything else.

ditchsnake
02-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Thanks, I'll talk to them. I just ordered a spare hub and arm ass. They only charged me 90 complete. So john you miss your boat or you gonna buy a new one? I remember our last conversation about work. Seems like this country is gonna keep you guys in buisness. Since you're one of the stereo gurus around here did you see my pic in the audio section/21vsubinstall. Turned out good. Watcha think?
Gene you may be better off talking to Owen or the other guy at Boatmate. I'm pretty sure you can replace the BB with a roller without any modification, seems like that's what we discussed back in those days on the phone. They'll know the right size and sell you what you need. Seems like their pricing was right on par with anything else.

tg0824SSVGG
02-23-2013, 07:34 PM
... it certainly is possible for it to work as advertised.

Yup - I have 650+ hours on my 08 boat, and exactly 2 times did I EVER have any issues with my BB. It was at a very steep ramp both times. I guess the ramps I use at my "home lake" and at Lake Powell are very similar in terms of "slope".

I would hate the thing if the only ramp I ever used was the steep kind - the boat does come in all wrong. So - I know John will always hate them, I continue to love mine and would put another one on without hesitation.

Do whatever works for you -- it's a bad thing when your day starts out FIGHTING with just getting the boat into the lake, if you have something that doesn't work well for you, by all means change it to something that does. BUT -- don't criticize those of us with something different that we DO like. If it wasn't working, it would be OFF the boat in no time ... like that STUPID WORTHLESS jack that came on the trailer ... now on THAT POS, I could go on for days ...

jonyb
02-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Thanks, I'll talk to them. I just ordered a spare hub and arm ass. They only charged me 90 complete. So john you miss your boat or you gonna buy a new one? I remember our last conversation about work. Seems like this country is gonna keep you guys in buisness. Since you're one of the stereo gurus around here did you see my pic in the audio section/21vsubinstall. Turned out good. Watcha think?

Don't miss it or that life at all really. Burned out mostly. We picked up a side-by-side and a 4-wheeler to go riding. Much cheaper and can do it from the house all-year round. Not sure what's really gonna happen on the job front. Since the idiot has been re-elected, it's all up in the air. Haven't seen your thread, but I'll look it up. Most photos don't show up when I'm at work, and most of my cruising on here is at work.