PDA

View Full Version : Cavatation on Launch 21V

cav21v
06-26-2006, 06:19 PM
I have a 2005 21V with a 13.7X17.5 prop. I get slipping or cavitating when I am pulling 2 tubes in tight turns. I also have problems surfing at 10MPH. Is this slipping in the transmission or cavatation problems under a heavy load?

My dealer said not to switch to the 14.25X14 prop because I will loose all top end speed for sking and tubing? Anybody have any experiance with this prop on a 21v?

lowdrag
06-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Unless you're skiing at tournament slalom speeds, I'd definitely go with the 14.25x14 wakeboard prop. My 21v with the 325 hp motor will run between about 41 and 43 with this prop, but the rpms are close enough to the max that I'm not comfortable running it at that speed for more than short sprints.

I would have to guess that your problem is cavitation since there have recently been a couple of other people post similar issues. I've yet to see any problem like this with mine which has the wakeboard prop. My dealer and most others that I've spoken with have said the wakeboard prop is the way to go and for the $75 it costs to upgrade a new boat with it, they say it's a no brainer considering the bang for the buck that you get.

I think you'd notice a night and day difference with the wakeboard prop especially at wakesurfing to wakeboarding speeds since the boat will be running higher rpms and building a lot more power. IMO, especially if you run a lot of ballast I think the wakeboard prop will save you a lot of wear and tear on your motor since it doesn't have to struggle nearly as much to get on plane.

I'm guessing you didn't buy a 21v to do a lot of tournament slalom runs behind. Recreational skiing and tubing will probably have you running between 20 and 30 mph which the wakeboard prop will do just fine and like I said, you'll really appreciate it's ability to get on plane and hold speed better for the lower speed sports.

Bottom line I'd say is just buy one unless the price is real problem. Try it and if you don't like it, throw it in the boat as a spare. We can all use one of those anyways. If your do like it, pull the old one off and keep it as a spare.