PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Launch 24 SSV - Need Stereo Help!

Diesel71
02-23-2013, 11:35 PM
Hey guys...need some advice. I have a 2006 Gravity Games 24 SSV, still with stock stereo and it sounds horrible. I need a recommendation for interior speakers (3 pair - 1 pair per side mid-cabin and 1 pair bow) and then I have the Roswell light/speaker combo. A few questions (unfortunately the boat is 3 hrs away in storage so I am trying to brainstorm this without a look);
1 - how is it wired from the factory? There are 2 amps...I assume 1 for the sub and a 1 for the 4 tower speakers, accompanied by the Kenwood head unit powering the cockpit?
2 - are they any restrictions to replacing the cockpit speakers? I am assuming these are 6.5" coax speakers...
3 - I prefer to scrap the Roswell rack and go with Wet Sounds however, I struggle to see how this would work - mounting and wiring?

Any info, advice, suggestions, pics would help tremendously. Thanks!

EarmarkMarine
02-24-2013, 04:45 AM
Diesel71,
1) Typically with OEM, you had two four-channel amplifiers. Most likely Kenwood in that era. Two channels to the bow coaxials. Two channels to the four cockpit coaxials. Two channels to the tower speakers. Two channels bridged to the sub. They gave little consideration to balancing the workload and distribution. Most in the south had thermal issues during the peak summer months. Anything Wetsounds on the tower will necessitate an upgrade in power. Re-wiring/re-distribution of the existing amplifiers will cure any thermal issues.
2) If I recall, the upper corners of the cockpit coaming pocket coaxials where behind the bolsters. Clearance is tight. This can make installing new speakers with a deeper grill a bit tedious. However, this takes standard 6.5" coaxials in both I.D. and O.D.
3) With upgraded tower speakers you will need upgraded power. That tower speaker selection will absolutely dictate the correct amplifier and whether or not an upgraded tower harness is needed. Mounting is straight forward with universal clamps/collars.

There are tons of photo examples on our website installation section under the Supra and Wetsounds galleries.

David

jonyb
02-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Hey guys...need some advice. I have a 2006 Gravity Games 24 SSV, still with stock stereo and it sounds horrible. I need a recommendation for interior speakers (3 pair - 1 pair per side mid-cabin and 1 pair bow) and then I have the Roswell light/speaker combo. A few questions (unfortunately the boat is 3 hrs away in storage so I am trying to brainstorm this without a look);
1 - how is it wired from the factory? There are 2 amps...I assume 1 for the sub and a 1 for the 4 tower speakers, accompanied by the Kenwood head unit powering the cockpit?
2 - are they any restrictions to replacing the cockpit speakers? I am assuming these are 6.5" coax speakers...
3 - I prefer to scrap the Roswell rack and go with Wet Sounds however, I struggle to see how this would work - mounting and wiring?

Any info, advice, suggestions, pics would help tremendously. Thanks!

The OEM Kenwood is nothing less than horrible, like you said. That was the first thing to go in my boat. Best option is to start all over, minus the wiring for the in-boats. Should be 2 4-channel amps - 2 channels bridged to power the sub, 2 channels play the bow's, 2 channels on towers, 2 channels on 4 rear in-boats.

There are no restrictions (other than staying with 4 ohm speakers) to replacing the OEM in-boats. If you go with beefier speakers, you'll need to upgrade the amps.

My 24SSV GG went through several stages, first with the WS 3-Some on the tower, then 6 Rev8's after that. Wiring isn't easy, but it's possible. You can probably make a pretty good amount of money back on that Roswell can too.

Where are you located? Im a Wet Sounds dealer in Western KY, and if you're within driving distance maybe we can work something out. I've got customers all the way up to Northern IN, Southeast MO, North and Central TN, and all over the KY area.

It would also help to know what kind of budget you have.

Edit: Didn't even read Dave's post - he pretty much sums most of it up pretty good.

KG's Supra24
02-24-2013, 10:19 AM
You have the details above. I've been through several stages in my stereo upgrade. My recommendation is just start over on amps and speakers if the budget allows.

I'm still using my Kenwood and not having any issues. The interiors are 6.5". Tower wiring will most likely need redone. You can get away with leaving interior wiring but its not hard to redo. If you go ws on the tower the natural recommendation would be ws interiors. There are alternative options though.

What's the final goal and budget?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2