PDA

View Full Version : Got rid of my points

Salty87
06-27-2006, 03:58 PM
'87 Saltare with 454

i recently installed a pertronix electronic conversion kit for my mallory distributor along with cap, plugs, and coil. it's not running as smoothly as i'd like and i'm just now realizing that at the very least i need to change the gap on my plugs and probably need different plugs too.

does anyone know how to tell or done the same conversion? if so, did you change plugs?

thanks,
salty

OUI
06-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Pull the plugs and check/gap them. If nothing else spend a few more bucks and buy some new ones. One thing to keep in mind, some conversitions require you to bypass the ballast resister -- they need full juice all the time, check and see -- that could be the problem.

Salty87
06-28-2006, 12:39 PM
thanks, OUI

i did get new plugs, same that i used before the conversion and gapped them at .035. still runs a little rough...not much, just barely but i haven't taken it on the water yet. it sort of stumbles at an idle, you can see it with the timing light too. i've checked the plug wires several times and they're right.

i've read that with the electronic ignition conversion, the spark is much stronger and plug gaps need to be wider. i couldn't find any specifics though.

maybe i'll just try opening the gaps up first. this kit still uses the ballast resistor. a trouble shooting tip is to bypass the resistor which i tried but get the same slight stumble.

i'm kind of reaching here, i can't find any other cause and the engine used to run real smooth.

OUI
06-28-2006, 06:07 PM
It could be a weak coil, old wires, faulty ignition, etc, etc.. When I did my conversion I got a kit that came with new wires, coil, distributor, ignition modual, cap and rotor. It was a no brainer everything was new, and it was only $240.

Call the manufacturer and see what they say.

PS I didn't widen the gap on my plugs and they seem to work fine.