PDA

View Full Version : Power loss ????

rwm1969
02-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Need help, when my boat is running and I literally turn on everything (minus the blower) my boat shuts down completly?? Should I change the alternator or is there another option ? please help ?

2500HD
02-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Dealing with electrical issues can be tricky. I think i would do some trouble shooting first. Try turning on items in different orders to eliminate it being just one item and check your ground, i have had weird things happen because of a simple grounding issue. Also if you have a meter you could see exactly how much power you are pulling and find out if it is more than your alternator is capable of producing. Stereos with amp can pull a lot of power.

cadunkle
02-25-2013, 08:57 PM
I had some bad breakers that would trip before hitting actual load. Replaced with new and fine now. Are any of your breakers tripping?

rwm1969
03-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys I'm getting excited almost time to launch for the season ! If you have anymore idea's let me know!

haugy
03-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Both previous posts have merit. Start with diagnosis. Get you a good multimeter. First check your battery and how many volts you are getting. Then check your alternator and how many volts it's putting out.

If they are both good, then you need to go through each switch one at a time and check the load. A bad ground could cause an improper load.

Also when you say the boat shuts down, you mean the engine is running and you turn on too many things and the engine shuts off?? Could you explain this more?

Jdm89supra
03-14-2013, 10:13 PM
had this happen cost four hundred in new parts and two weeks try the ground idea second key switch that's what mine did. I was running up the lake and had radio on and blowers and subs not everything on but half and it would be like someone just turned it off . wound up being a bad key switch. you might want to check the kill swich on the throttle lever if you have one I took mine out I do know those go bad eventualy