PDA

View Full Version : Texas Highland Lakes Help?

sybrmike
02-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Anybody have recent knowledge of lake levels, launching, boatability, etc. of Buchanan, Inks, & LBJ? I haven't been on any of these since a kid, but am being "recruited" to haul up for Memorial Day weekend for daughter's post senior prom party festivities with a group of 10-12 kids. One of the kids has access to a large lake house (now a beach house) on Buchanan. I know every place will be crowded & rough that weekend, but I will be relegated to mostly designated driver duty so I don't care much about water conditions other than can I get in/out and run without breaking anything with current and ongoing drought conditions? I've looked at info & levels online - Buchanan shows 26' low & can't find an open ramp, Inks is constant level but looks tiny, & LBJ looks o.k..

Salty87
02-28-2013, 06:52 PM
you should get a medal for taking on that assignment.

Inks is really small but constant level is a great thing. unfortunately, that constant level will attract other boaters so it might be really crowded. i've never had my boat on Buchanan. LBJ is a good bit bigger than Inks but LCRA site only shows 6' of water before the ramp is dry. who knows if that will last until Memorial Day.

everything will be crowded and most will be shallow. i'd probably shoot for Inks.

rdlangston13
03-01-2013, 04:03 PM
you should get a medal for taking on that assignment.

Inks is really small but constant level is a great thing. unfortunately, that constant level will attract other boaters so it might be really crowded. i've never had my boat on Buchanan. LBJ is a good bit bigger than Inks but LCRA site only shows 6' of water before the ramp is dry. who knows if that will last until Memorial Day.

everything will be crowded and most will be shallow. i'd probably shoot for Inks.

Hopefully the spring rains will bring levels up before memorial day

ramzak
03-02-2013, 04:12 AM
I own a house on LBJ. We picked LBJ because it is known for having the most constant water level in TX. During the severe drought 2 years ago, we were only down 2'. It is also much less congested than Travis while still being close to civilization.

We usually go up the Colorado River under the 1431 bridge to the "Log Cabin". That is the calmest and quietest area and has beautiful houses.

The partying goes down around the sand river bottom by the Blue Lake Golf Club

Fun place!

rdlangston13
03-02-2013, 11:12 PM
I own a house on LBJ. We picked LBJ because it is known for having the most constant water level in TX. During the severe drought 2 years ago, we were only down 2'. It is also much less congested than Travis while still being close to civilization.

We usually go up the Colorado River under the 1431 bridge to the "Log Cabin". That is the calmest and quietest area and has beautiful houses.

The partying goes down around the sand river bottom by the Blue Lake Golf Club

Fun place!

How far is LBJ from Houston? Looking for a new place to take a trip to this year with some good water for boarding

Sent from my iPhone

ramzak
03-03-2013, 11:11 PM
3-4hrs. Depending on towing, stops, what part of HTX your coming from

rdlangston13
03-04-2013, 12:31 PM
3-4hrs. Depending on towing, stops, what part of HTX your coming from

I live in Katy but If i went up there I would probably be coming from around Trinity (East of Huntsville) since that is where my boat is stored. Do they have good places to stay on the water for like a weekend trip that are close to the river?

ramzak
03-04-2013, 05:43 PM
There are literaly 100's of houses/condos/apts/hotels on the lake. It is lined with them.

Go to VRBO and check them out.

I will be there first weekend in May, when the snowbirds renting the place finally leave.

sybrmike
03-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll be making trip across Hwy 29 next week and will at least take a current look at Buchanan & Inks (and pray for rain until Memorial Day...). Don't know if I'll make it down to LBJ, but sure sounds nice.