PDA

View Full Version : 'QuickDrain' tube, oil change question

kbckz
02-28-2013, 09:13 PM
In the owners manual for my 2008 Indmar engine, under the oil change section, within the oil change instructions, it mentions a 'QuickDrain'. It says to 'insert the QuickDrain hose through the drain hole in the transom, and drain into a bucket. I'm fairly confident I've found the hose, as it come from the bottom of the oil pan, but the hose is too short to make it through the drain hole! It's not even long enough to reach the transom, much less through the hole. Am I missing something here?

My next step I suppose is a trip to the hardware store to buy a threaded fitting and tubing in order to extend the QuickDrain. It's just perplexing that this hose is called a Quickdrain, but it's not long enough to do the job. Was trying to avoid pumping the oil out. No big deal, but if a "QuickDrain" is there, and manual refers to it, then would sure like to use it.

Had a Baja with the same, but the hose was connected to the drain plug, so when you pulled the plug, the oil drain hose was attached and followed.

cadunkle
03-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Different boat, but my drain hose reaches the drain plug hole. It still sucks though, as it's slow to drain and will not quite fully drain. I use my vacuum suction oil changer but uncap teh quick drain hose and stick it in there so I'm pulling from the lower point in the pan. Quick, clean and works great. I suggest doing that if you have a pump. Just hold the end of the hose higher than the oil level in pan when you uncap. Alternatively, slip some hose over it to extend out the drain plug hole.

Jetlink
03-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Adding to what Cadunkle said about holding the hose higher than the level of the oil pan before removing the plug, I also place a vise grip on the hose so that I can get the hose positioned in the drain hole properly and then let go of the vise grip to allow the oil to flow. Word of caution, you don't need to really wrench down on the hose with the vise grip.

kbckz
03-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. Always looking for the most efficient, and cleanest, way to get things done.

tg0824SSVGG
03-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Check this thread out. https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?5776-Gravity08-s-oil-pump-mod-UPDATE-COMPLETED-w-Pics I did pretty much exactly the same thing (used some different parts, but the same pump and the same idea) -- when the oil is WARM, but not HOT, I can pump it out in about 2 minutes.

Todd

ditchsnake
03-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Todds right. Theres nothing quick about the quick drain. You can buy a pump mounted on a 2 1/2 gal bucket and suck it at the lake when your done for the day.Suck it out of the quick drain hose . Easy and takes 5min. with no mess
Check this thread out. https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?5776-Gravity08-s-oil-pump-mod-UPDATE-COMPLETED-w-Pics I did pretty much exactly the same thing (used some different parts, but the same pump and the same idea) -- when the oil is WARM, but not HOT, I can pump it out in about 2 minutes.

Todd

kbckz
03-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Anyone ever used a drill pump? About $10 bucks, without hoses.

Jetlink
03-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Anyone ever used a drill pump? About $10 bucks, without hoses.

My father in law used one for about 10 minutes trying to winterize one of two jet skis before the pump failed.

tg0824SSVGG
03-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Never tried the drill pump. I did basically the mod described in the link I posted above - however, I mounted the pump permanently in the boat, since I didn't want to disconnect hoses and find the pump in my messy garage. It's lasted thru at least 6 oil changes and seems to be going strong. I would do this mod again. Although, some have the idea to put the pump itself on a 5 gallon bucket, so it can be used to pump oil out of other engines -- that would work too.