PDA

View Full Version : 85 comp possible rebuild

$pringer415
02-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Hi guys I am new to the site and also new to Supra's as well. I did just buy an 85 comp with 394hrs on it, boat has been in storage for the last 11 years. The boat is perfect on the outside, the floor was soft so I pulled it up and the stringers are not the greatest. They are all there but I did find a split in the fiberglass around them behind the motor cradle and the wood is softer, it's not falling apart but not hard anymore. My wife and I have been fighting over this as we do not have the time or funds for a cap off rite now so my thoughts are to rebuild the structure and bracing on the transom, reseal around exhaust and platform, preglass floor sections and install, but silicone all seams for easier removal next year and when time and hopefully cash flow will allow full rebuild. We usually spend the weekends on the lake and our old boat just sat at the sand bar with a cooler in it and provided the tunes. We do wakeboard and tube a little but mainly just cruise under 20mph and get us and the cooler to the gatherings. Am I crazy for puting a band aid on for this year. She is finishing up nursing school and my checkbook is funding her school/ our lives rite now and I just built a new shop so cash is a little tight.

Supra_Comp
03-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Welcome aboard Springer,

I am a fellow '85 Comp owner and am in the middle of a non-cap off restoration, and essentially doing all of the things you want too. Since the boat sat for so many years it is hard to tell how those stringers will hold up. If you are only using the boat for light duty I would say just leave it all alone until next year since you plan on a full rebuild...it will be a lot of money and time invested for a band aid and the job will be way easier with the cap off.

Post a couple pictures of your boat!

$pringer415
03-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks Comp, well I tried to upload the only pic i have but it will not load? I am still getting it stripped down and all the foam out so plans may change. I did have to cut the ski locker out to get the tank out, so now I have to think of a plan to rebuild that.

TitanTn
03-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Try uploading your pics to Photobucket or a similar service and use the img link to post the pic back here.