PDA

View Full Version : Transmission replace ment

The boy
03-05-2013, 06:22 PM
I have a 1989 Sunsport and our transmission went out last summer and just ordered a new one from skidim and they said it wasn't hard to replace and i was wondering what people on the form that have done it did to replace it?

Jdm89supra
03-05-2013, 11:31 PM
I just completely rebuilt mine but if you are doing just a swap out its not that bad at all if you have a hoist or something along that nature and its not that many bolts I will definitely say unbolt the motor and drive shaft and slide it forward to give more room it can be done in a few hours by a novis if you don't have a hoist a few guys can move the motor forward a hoist just makes it easy

The boy
03-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Yeah we are trying to think of the best way to do it

SquamInboards
03-12-2013, 10:39 AM
I had mine in and out for a seal replacement last year in about 3-4 hours by myself. I did have a tractor for all the heavy lifting, though. Here's the short version:
unbolt coupler to driveshaft, separate and slide as far down (toward stern) as it will go
disconnect oil cooler from water intake hoses (probably 1" ID hoses)
disconnect neutral safety switch from top of transmission
disconnect shift cable from transmission
loosen exhaust hose (clamps) so hoses are free to move - I let them come off on their own as I lifted the engine but if you could separate them ahead of time it might be better.
put light tension on rear engine lift eye with chain (here I used the tractor)
unbolt trans. from engine - 4 bolts I believe, one at each "corner"

Here's where you want a helper - you want to lift the engine enough to slide the transmission input shaft off the engine's damper plate / flywheel - so if you have a helper or two, have one of them lift the engine slowly with the hoist or whatever while you slide the transmission back toward the stern. You only have to go about 2" to separate the two.
While it's off, check the damper plate for ANY signs of cracking or excessive wear. It's not a bad idea just to replace it anyway since it's like $75-$100 and very easy once the transmission is separated. It would be a bummer to have to do that labor again just for the damper plate (ask me how I know).

Of course, be extremely careful lifting the engine, etc. and moving the transmission around. Two people can handle the transmission easily but it's tricky lining it back up to the damper plate, and getting that just right as you lower the engine. You could probably use a small jack of some kind to do the lifting in the boat so you don't need a hoist.

Installation is reverse of removal, as usual. I'm sure others will have some tips or maybe an easier way but that's the way I've done it a couple times, and most recently by myself. I think I lowered the rear of the engine onto wood blocks then used the tractor to move the transmission around just because I had it right there, and didn't have a helper. I hung it from probably 5' of chain so I could swing it into place. There was a lot of jumping in and out of the boat to adjust the tractor bucket.

haugy
03-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Do a search for damper plate replacement. There is a thread with a lot of pics about how it is done.

It's easy to do.

The boy
03-13-2013, 04:46 PM
well just got a call from my prop guy and the shaft is cracked anyone know where to get a replace ment

Jdm89supra
03-13-2013, 08:55 PM
well just got a call from my prop guy and the shaft is cracked anyone know where to get a replace ment
if your drive shaft is cracked you might have a seal bad or not getting enough water to the wax seal that bolts to the hull. also if it is the shaft any dealer that carries parts for your boat should be able to get one also they are not fun to replace yourself

The boy
03-13-2013, 09:03 PM
we already ordered one should be here friday