PDA

View Full Version : Installing a tower

Alexanderville
03-06-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm going to install a big air vapor tower on my 89 sunsport this weekend. I keep hearing different things to use as backing plates.

What do you recommend using?

Any tips to make the process move smoothly? Besides measure everything three times?

Jdm89supra
03-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Just put one on myself I bought an h20 from them the best thing to use is a 1 inch thick peace of treated decking about 12 inches long you might have to cut it down in width to make it fit but when you drill the holes make sure you counter sink the fiberglass with a larger bit so the gel Cote didn't crack out when you drill the holes and mount the plate and ruber cushners put the treated block on first then the stainless plate and be sure not to o er tighten the bolts they are stainless as well and will strip out if that happens you will have to.drill them out

Also after you have the tower on to stop some of the rocking in the tower from side to side you can pull it together before you drill your top holes to stop it from rocking and it will.be more.solid I've put.on a tower or two also if you are going.to.run tower speakers go ahead and run the wire wile it is all apart you will hate to.do it later

Alexanderville
03-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks. I think the decking will work great.

TitanTn
03-06-2013, 10:17 PM
I like a combination of decking and aluminum plates. The decking spreads out the load and conforms to the underside of the cap. Putting an aluminum plate between the decking and the washer/nut will add strength, rigidity and will allow you to tighten the nut without biting into the decking board which would be weaker by itself and would become loose over time.

Alexanderville
03-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Where would I get the aluminum from? A thick plate or thin sheet of aluminum?

sybrmike
03-06-2013, 11:25 PM
A good way to keep from cracking the gel at the holes - First measure, mark, and measure again. Then use a very small bit run normal rotation for pilot hole. Follow with a slightly over sized bit run in reverse to form the chamfer. Running a normal bit in reverse makes the bit more of a grinder than a cutter & turns the gelcoat into powder not chips. Finally, drill the hole with the proper size bit for the bolts.

Decking or treated ply, 3/4-1", should be fiine. You can just use the s/s plates that came with the tower directly over (or is it under?) the backers you cut. 12" is plenty long & as wide as you can while still making contact with the flat surface (you don't want to introduce any stress points). If you're adding additional aluminum plates, I'd go 3/16-1/4", Lowes or Home Depot often have sheets.

I cut backer plates out of 3/4" treated ply & glassed them in place (mine was with the cap off) with a bedding compound of resin & milled glass fibers (like is done setting stringers) between the backer and the cap.

Alexanderville
03-08-2013, 03:41 AM
Thanks for all the great help.

Would it be best to mount it on top or the sides? I like the look mounted on the sides but just curious if it would be stronger mounted to the top.

TitanTn
03-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Mounted properly, it shouldn't matter.

86 century
03-08-2013, 02:53 PM
The only little tidbit I have for tower installation is cover the area you plan to place the mounts with painters tape. Lessens the chance of scratching the gel and its easy to mark on.

Jdm89supra
03-08-2013, 11:58 PM
Speaking from exsperiance with big air towers if you mount it on the sides make sure the lock Handel's that lock the tower down will clear your guide pols on your trailer if you have them the handles on the lock screws are huge and stick out I replaced all of mine with stainless bolts

Alexanderville
03-10-2013, 05:47 PM

Looked great. Now time to put on the racks and mirror.

TitanTn
03-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Very nice. What did you end up doing for the backing plates?

Alexanderville
03-10-2013, 09:37 PM
I used 5/4 decking with the aluminum backing plates it came with. I had to get longer stainless bolts but I preferred that over thinner board.

Alexanderville
03-11-2013, 06:43 AM
Tuscaloosa, Alabama