PDA

View Full Version : Installing new Depth Finder this weekend

suprasam
03-08-2013, 01:04 PM
My old depth finder has a suncracked faced and doesn't work(not since I owned the boat). I ordered a new Hummingbird HDR650 and I am going to install this weekend. Where is the best place to put this transducer? Any suggestions on a good epoxy that I should use to glue it down with? Or do you think it would be better for a transom mount? I am worried about drilling a hole thru the transom though. Thanks

cadunkle
03-08-2013, 03:45 PM
I have a similar model Humminbird. I put the transducer epoxied to the flat part of the hull ring under the transmission output shaft/flange. Gives enough room to remove and align things but still out of the way. Mine is a Saltare but I'd imagine your SunSport should be similar. Works well and I don't recall it being unable to get a reading except a few times running real hard in chop, but that hardly counts since I know there was air passing under the hull because the prop was coming out of the water and I had to work the throttle to keep from over revving or shocking the driveline. I forget what type of epoxy I used, I believe it was something pretty generic I got at either Depot or Advance. I recall it being kind of clearish and not like JB Weld.

suprasam
03-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the help with where to install....I ended up going to Lowes and picked up some Marine epoxy 300psi, so this should work fine for it. Where did you tuck the wire in at? Did you go up the side of stringer and then up thru your floor under you helm? Thanks for the help.

wiatowski
03-08-2013, 08:39 PM
I actually used the transom mount but mounted it on the bottom behind the skeggs. It's the only way to do it so it's accurate and can still read water temp. Just fill the holes with 3M 5400 I put it on the base and on the inside I sealed the bolts over too.
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u436/wiatowski/IMG_12671.jpg
Sorry I don't have any better pictures of it.

cadunkle
03-11-2013, 03:12 PM
I don't care for that mount protruding from the bottom. If I wanted temp on my depth finder I would prefer to do a through hull transducer for flush mount. I have temp through my Perfect Pass paddle wheel though so went with an transducer inside the hull.