PDA

View Full Version : Texas lakes

The boy
03-09-2013, 12:05 AM
I was just wondering sense the season is right around the corner of anybody know what lake Somerville looks like. I live in Houston and am going to lake conroe for a birthday this weekend. but i prefer to see the lake or talk to someone who has seen it over looking at the levels online

Jetlink
03-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Where is this lake in relation to IAH? I was just in and out of there the past two days and have a great birds eye view usually. The lake just east of the airport still looks really low to me.

rdlangston13
03-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Just east of the airport is lake Houston which is at full pool. Lake Somerville is west north west and is 1.9 feet low according to waterdatafortexas.com. Tht should still be deep enough to ride in, I've been out there when it was about 2.5 feet low without a problem

Sent from my iPhone

The boy
03-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Ill be honest we like somerville a slight bit low because if any of y'all know about that island out there it gives it a nice and relaxing beach
that where my profile pic was taken

rdlangston13
03-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Ill be honest we like somerville a slight bit low because if any of y'all know about that island out there it gives it a nice and relaxing beach
that where my profile pic was taken

Is Somerville your home riding spot?

Sent from my iPhone

The boy
03-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Yeah thats where we go most of the time dosn't get as choppy as conroe

sybrmike
03-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Haven't been up yet this year, but it's normally our go-to lake for convenience - I'm in Cypress, so a little over an hour away. Usually put in at Rocky Creek & run the shores between there and Peach Creek depending on wind. I haven't been to Conroe on a weekend in years - too many boats, bulkheads, and lake Nazi's.

I'll definitely be trying to spend more time on the Trinity after David introduced me to it at the Jam last year. Miles of protected winding river, just not as easy of a haul for me.

The boy
03-09-2013, 04:55 PM
we live in cypress also but we went to conroe to change things up a bit

rdlangston13
03-09-2013, 05:23 PM
According to the maps app on my phone from Cypress to Somerville is 63 miles and 1 hr and 10 mins. From cypress to the public ramp on the trinity is 82 miles or 1 hour and 40 mins.

So for an extra half hour of driving or 19 miles you can ride on unlimited butter. This is why I have not been to Somerville in two years lol. The extra half hour is EASILY worth the far superior water conditions

Sent from my iPhone

The boy
03-16-2013, 05:24 PM
where is the ramp at

rdlangston13
03-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Take 45 north to Huntsville and exit exit 113 for hwy 19. Go northeast on 19 till you get to river side (speed limit goes from 70 to 50) and the public ramp is 1/4 mile or so past the stop light in river side at the trinity river bridge on the right hand side. If you crossed the river you went to far

Sent from my iPhone

ramzak
03-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Let me know if you guys need any info on Sommerville. I pretty much grew up on that lake and know it like the back of my hand. I am usally there at least once a month during the season.

The boy
03-25-2013, 07:11 PM
yeah we know sommerville but not the water level been going there for over 10 years

rdlangston13
03-30-2013, 09:04 PM
for anyone who boats in Texas and is curious how you home lake is doing check out this site.

http://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/statewide

22supra
03-31-2013, 09:47 AM
I've been to Trinity off of HWY 19 several times in the past but never to Bethy Creek. We are planning a get together up there for a weekend. Is the cut to the river from Bethy always passable? Livingston shows 100% so sure Trinity is full as well.

rdlangston13
03-31-2013, 04:16 PM
I've been to Trinity off of HWY 19 several times in the past but never to Bethy Creek. We are planning a get together up there for a weekend. Is the cut to the river from Bethy always passable? Livingston shows 100% so sure Trinity is full as well.

As long as the lake is above 1 to 1.5 ft below full pull the cut is passable and it can be passable at even lower levels as long as boats go through it regularly. The more traffic through it the more of a dredging affect it has. I would not advise trying to navigate the cut for the first time solo, you really need someone to ride along with you and show where you should be ect but it does get shallow in some areas. There are not really any stumps in the area, it is mainly soft silt bottom. You should come out to the Texas Moomba/Supra Jam in August, it will be held at Bethy Creek and it is always a good time. Here is the link to the thread on here as well as our FB page.

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?14335-2013-Texas-Moomba-Supra-Jam

http://www.facebook.com/MoombaSupraJam

22supra
04-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Not exactly what i wanted to hear.....lol. were gonna be making several trips in the near future so possibly someone will be there to show me the secret!

we were gonna try and make it out last year but with 2 high school kids we get pulled in all different directions. as of now we are planning on at least a day trip for Saturday. Make my 16yr old come to drive me back to Houston.

rdlangston13
04-02-2013, 07:48 AM
I would be more than happy to show you but I leave the country Friday for three weeks

Sent from my iPhone

sybrmike
04-02-2013, 11:25 AM
A guide would be most beneficial for the first time. The entrance was hard for me to find on my own & I passed right by it several times - the only landmark was a large stick-up 10-15 yds out from the cut. I found it by watching another boat seemingly disappear into the jungle on the western shoreline.

Unfortunately (or is it fortunately?), I've got two teenagers myself & with all the Spring activities it'll be a while longer before I'm up there again.

David - I thought I had asked before, but couldn't find my original question or reply - are there any other places in the area besides Bethy that have access to facilities/gas/food/etc.? Have fun overseas & with the new construction.

rdlangston13
04-04-2013, 11:59 AM
A guide would be most beneficial for the first time. The entrance was hard for me to find on my own & I passed right by it several times - the only landmark was a large stick-up 10-15 yds out from the cut. I found it by watching another boat seemingly disappear into the jungle on the western shoreline.

Unfortunately (or is it fortunately?), I've got two teenagers myself & with all the Spring activities it'll be a while longer before I'm up there again.

David - I thought I had asked before, but couldn't find my original question or reply - are there any other places in the area besides Bethy that have access to facilities/gas/food/etc.? Have fun overseas & with the new construction.

There are a couple gas stations and a small bbq/grocery place about 2-3 miles from Bethy