PDA

View Full Version : How are your water levels this spring ???

DAFF
03-10-2013, 07:51 PM
The great lakes look pathetic. Lake Erie must be 2' lower than this time last season. :mad: Cant wait till this drought is over. Low water and props go together like a highway full of nails.

tg0824SSVGG
03-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Home lake is still down over 30 feet (was down over 70) -- and it's filling, but they will start draining it again soon. (the people that worry about 2 feet down make me say HUH?)

Lake Powell is down in ways that haven't been seen for about 10 years and if we have no more snow this winter, it will keep going down. It was down over 40 feet when I was there in September - but 10 years ago, it was down 100 feet.

Water is scarce ... as much as I dislike SNOW, we need moisture, and if that's the only way I can get it - then BRING IT ON!!!

rdlangston13
03-11-2013, 12:48 AM
We are currently .05 ft above full pool and dropping daily. Hopefully we can get some good rain over spring to maintain the level because once July hits it will start dropping in a hurry so we need to be ahead of the curve.

When it comes to people complain about 2 ft low....at 1.5ft low our boat house becomes unusable, at about 2.5-3 feet low all the boat ramps in our part of the lake close. At 4 ft low there is only one ramp that will remain open that I know of and you can walk on dry ground 50ft or so past the end of our boat house. And this is not a small lake at 82,000 acre surface area.

Sent from my iPhone

kriley
03-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Lake Lanier is about 3 ft from full pool - I am sure the Corp of engineers will drain it almost dry again this year....

2500HD
03-11-2013, 02:46 PM
you got your wish, its still snowin. Now it can stop in my opinion.

e4nash
03-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Lake Lanier is about 3 ft from full pool - I am sure the Corp of engineers will drain it almost dry again this year....

Hope not...went through one prop last year because of that. Looks good right now though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michael hunter
03-11-2013, 07:09 PM
We were out on Lanier yesterday . It was great to see it back up close to where it should be . Water temp 51 degrees we should start boarding next week.

kriley
03-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Michael - I hope we can get together again this year - My oldest Son will start taking wakeboard lessons from Vinny at SMG - Vinny said you where the man!!!

Kma4444
03-12-2013, 08:00 AM
The Corps of Engineers manage Lanier with their magic divining rods. Someone should use the rods on them. My dad has had a place there since '73 and the stories of their mismanagement are almost comical. Like them making him buy 24" of property from them because his house was too close to the corps line. His house was built in the early 60's and is probably 600 feet from the lake up a steep drive. They have left the lake down for so long that all the shallow coves are grown up and hold soil so their depths will likely never return. It's disgusting. All in the name of maintaining the river level downstream. I've heard about some endangered mussells that might be harmed if the river gets too low. What would happen before the lake was there? I'm no expert but I bet the river is supposed to get low sometimes. But no, the COE knows better I'm sure.

But on a lighter note, we are on a GA Power lake and they can make the level whatever they want. It is full, same as usual. Can't wait to get out, we gave the ride a good cleaning last weekend.

michael hunter
03-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Kevin you almost got it right Vinny is the man last year he won the king of Lanier competition. Your son will move up fast with his instruction.

Kma444
I cant argue with you about the corps management of Lanier .I'm just glad its up now .

haugy
03-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Ours is right where it needs to be. Bring on the heat.

crystal waters
03-12-2013, 01:16 PM
here in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia the snow pack in the mountains is at 115 % of normal and they are concerned about some possible flooding conditions. Lakes will be in great shape!

docdrs
03-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Water levels are about 2 ft down from high level but are norm for this time of year so as not to cause dock damage. Once the ice is gone they will throw a few logs on the dam and have the level up to normal levels in about 5 days. Gotta love it.

DAFF
03-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Home lake is still down over 30 feet (was down over 70) -- and it's filling, but they will start draining it again soon. (the people that worry about 2 feet down make me say HUH?)

According to Darryl Enriquez of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal, 1 inch of water depth in Lake Michigan accounts for 390 BILLION gallons of water. In the other lakes translates in billion of gallons as follows: Lake Superior, 550; Lake Huron, 400; Lake Erie, 170; and Lake Ontario, 130"

Add these numbers up and get 1 640 000 000 000 gallons per inch for the great lakes system !!! By estimation just Lake Erie would be 4 080 000 000 000 gallons to bring it back up to normal levels......

That one hell of a deficit to make up. Personally I would love to know how much man can infulence the drain rate of the lakes expecially in the Niagra region. Flow equal money WRT turbine water plants.

86 century
03-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Ours are down 23.2 and 27 they are army corps lakes so they drain them for the winter.
We are hopeful they get them full this year. At the highest point last year one was down 5' the other was down 14'.

Put a hurting on the marinas neither one could get the fuel docks in and lost most of there annual income because the ramps where not long enough to get the big boats floating.