PDA

View Full Version : paint or gel coat help

Jdm89supra
03-11-2013, 11:28 PM
ok well I had my boat wrapped this past year and whoever came up with a sticker on a boat I would like to get ahold of that person right now. I put my boat in the water yesterday and was having a good day for the most part boat ran like a top and I got back to the dock and my wife pulled the boat onto the trailer and I noticed that my wrap was coming off now I waysted 2800 bucks on nothing but some sticker paper and some glue. after everything I have already ben threw with this boat I have re fiberglassed the entire inside of the boat due to fire damage from previouse owner and sanded all of the paint that he had aplyed to the outside off and patched all areas that needed to be now I am really considering ripping the entire wrap off and ether painting or gell coating the entire boat . any help would be appreciated and my typing isn't great so bare with me what will hold up I hear ten difrent things about both products. and don't know about epoxy paints and if they work like epoxy resins or not

chris young
03-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Just curious, is there no warranty on that? My first thought would be to see if the wrap service was willing to make it right.

Jdm89supra
03-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Honestly I think that they didn't put the primer ob and the Guy who owns the company is a tool

suprasam
03-12-2013, 12:56 PM
My boat is painted in two sections with marine grade primer and paint. Right below and right above the rub rail is painted(navy).......and I have to be carefull as to not scratch or rub the dock because it is paint and will scratch easy no matter how well you prep or paint. I would HIGHLY suggest you not paint a full boat (IMO). If I spent that kind of money on a wrap......I would definitly take it back for them to fix it. That sounds like it wasn't put on good, and they should fix it because of shotty work. Thats alot of money to throw away. Good luck with it.

Jdm89supra
03-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Well now I'm screwed becouse I went up to the place where I.got my boat wrapped and the Guy was pritty much like tough ##### and their is no warranty on the wrap becouse it is a boat and I said you modow is if its not right we will fix it for up to one year and then said fix it and he replied I'm not fixing it and you can Leave now I am screwed out of three grand and a messed up boat that I ha e to gelcoat or some kind of epoxy paint still need help

kriley
03-12-2013, 06:50 PM
I was thinking about getting a wrap on my boat - May have to rethink this... Let us know how it goes - I am very curious to see how the guy handles this apparent bad application job of the wrap....

2500HD
03-12-2013, 07:59 PM
your being way to nice to this guy, i'd be all over his ass including a full page add in the local paper if need be. If your gonna be in business you have to stand behind your work....period. Then there are less nice ways to deal with him.:mad:

Jdm89supra
03-12-2013, 08:02 PM
O trust me if I was their for five more min the cops would of hauled.me away

2500HD
03-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Post his number here. After a few phones calls about his reputation maybe he'll reconsider.
agreed, company name and number would be useful. and a pic of the damaged areas.

Jetlink
03-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Company name, and email so you can ask for references. Then let him have it after you say a quick google search turned up this thread and you've decided to take your business elsewhere.

Jdm89supra
03-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Company name, and email so you can ask for references. Then let him have it after you say a quick google search turned up this thread and you've decided to take your business elsewhere.

Ok so after I posted a few hours ago and the Sighn company kicked me off of their property I was out to dinner with my family and my phone rings and I answer it is the graphic desighn guy not the owner and he asked wher I lived and when would be a good time to come buy and look at the damage and I said well I was just their a few hours ago and y'all did nothing and he was very nice and said well I'm not the owner but I am going to do everything in my power to fix the isue and I am the one that desighned this wrap and I would like to see what I can do so I said well now is fine after what happend earlier today and he said he could be their in a few min and my wife and my son left the restaurant and headed home well he got their befor I did and lord and behold the owner was their with him and both of them wher already addressing the issues on the boat so I let them be and went inside and sat down
After about an hour the owner knocked on the door and said he thinks that they have it all taken care off and I walked out and looked at it they reck ales the hole back of the boat and sealed it which I said y didn't you do that to begin with and this all would of ben ok no confrontation or anything come to find out they had sealed all of the edges and outside and inside and all nicks and scratches with this sealer from 3m for waterproofing boats which they should of done to begin with and also when the big fiasco happend at his shop some of the people I knew from the lake had seen my boat and were in their designing their wrap for theirs and after I left they left and said I don't want my boat wrapped that won't stand behind their garante which is if it's not right we will fix it and they left
Now we will see what happens on sat if it holds or not it's still cold here in nc and it's supper to be in the 70s on sat so I don't know but still just for info I still need to find a good paint for the outside and inside for when this wrap let's loose

2500HD
03-12-2013, 10:39 PM
I hope all ends well and they do what is right.

Salty87
03-13-2013, 09:37 AM
good for you. don't take their BS.

i've used interlux perfection paint before. it's a 2 part polyurethane. i painted my tower with it close to 5 years ago and it still looks as good as it originally looked. it's outside uncovered in the TX sun and hasn't faded. it's not cheap but no quality paint really is.

wotan2525
03-13-2013, 04:02 PM
If they used 3M products and they are 3M certified then the wrap will have a warranty.... Good luck!

Jdm89supra
03-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Yea it is a 3m wrap and I think I ha e steared up a hole lot me becouse our.3m Rep for our cabinet shop came in today and he said he would have it taken care of don't know what that means but we will see

thebill
03-20-2013, 06:34 PM
THere are many wraps on boats 100s a year and they just dont peel off, im sure this was installers issue and they should make it right..

I had the entire lower half of my 2000 Supra launch wrapped(below bumper) all the way around the boat custom graphic 900 dollars installed and its been 18months and the only issue with it is where the roller on the bow skids accross it it has tried to rip and wrinkle as the roller doesnt roll and ive tried a few so i just added some SS Bow saver plates and now all is good.. i use this boat for wakeboarding and its seen a lot of water time and i clean it with windex and that it..still looks brand new..no issues with it coming off at all..

for 2800 bucks it better be made up of gold flake and not peel off! :)

thebill
03-20-2013, 06:49 PM
11897118981189911900heres a pic of my wrap , also sits outside in the driveway year round in hot texas sun, no change in wrap ..

Jdm89supra
03-20-2013, 06:56 PM
all of my problems with this wrap are in corners and the bow which they fixed most but the bow I have the v bunk for the nose of the boat no roller and it just keeps coming off. I decided to put 18 mil clear which is like an 1/8 in thick vinal on the nose to stop it from tearing up the wrap on the bow. which is the same stuff they put on mx bikes to hold up to constant wear and abuse but I get areas everytime I look at it their is another spot that has split or torn or chipped and its only ben in the water four times. they handed me some 3m clear edge sealer and said after they left the last time they looked at it put this anywhere wher you see it chip or a rock ding or anything and I don't know I think I waysted my money

Jdm89supra
03-20-2013, 07:35 PM
This is what they did1190111902119031190411905

Jdm89supra
03-20-2013, 07:37 PM

Jdm89supra
03-20-2013, 07:39 PM
I did white carbon fiber on the inside and their are no problems inside at all its all in the back corners and nose

The boy
03-21-2013, 09:41 PM
We painted couple years back

The boy
03-21-2013, 09:43 PM
waht is looked like before the paint

devovino
03-27-2013, 04:16 PM
waht is looked like before the paint

Just out of curiosity, what did you use for paint? I am strongly considering painting my Saltare, want to make sure I use the right material.