PDA

View Full Version : trinity river

The boy
03-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Hey we just got the boat out an wanting to do a test run and we where wondering about the Trinity river we have yet to go there and dont know anything about it so we need some idea on a good ramp location and where to go and ovoid

sybrmike
03-16-2013, 10:39 PM
I've only been once, but will definitely be making more trips to the Trinity in the future. I don't know what the level is like at the moment, so if you're going unguided for the first time I'd recommend the public ramp right off Hwy 19. Not sure if the white bass are still running, but if so - the parking lot could be full of fishermen early. If the level is good, you've got miles of river upstream, but I saw most folks downstream of 19 & can run it all the way to the lake.

The other option is Bethy Creek Resort. They have a campground, facilities, ramp, etc on a small side lake that joins the river through a naaaarrrroooowww cut. I'd get someone to show you how to navigate the cut from either direction - I'm sure it can go from fairly sketchy to impassable depending on water level.

rdlangston13
03-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Lake level is .3 ft above full pool. The Dallas run off has reached the river so there are some debris items but if you keep your eyes open you will be fine, and most of it will be cleared out by next weekend. Hwy 19 is the best bet if you are new to the area. We used this ramp throughout the whole drought even when the lake was 4 ft low and we never found the end of it. The ramp is literally right off hwy 19 right before you cross the bridge spanning the river. About 1/4 mile past the stop light in riverside where the Valero is.

Like mika said, the cut from Bethy creek is narrow and shallow at about 3 ft. You have to know where you are going, you would probably never find it on your own. It always trips people out the first time I take them through it. However Bethy Creek is more secure of a launch site (hwy 19 has a reputation for occasional thievery). If launching at Bethy creek be sure to use the left lane on the ramp when looking out at the water. The right ramp drops off early on one side really bad

Sent from my iPhone

The boy
03-17-2013, 12:26 AM
thanks but unfortunately we have to delay our test run can't right now but we are going to try and get out to the river before the moomba supra jam

rdlangston13
03-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Ok well we will be out there nearly 2 weekends of every month till November so just shoot me a message if you want a tour

Sent from my iPhone

sybrmike
03-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Hey David, is there anyplace other than Bethy where one can one find gas/ice/drinks/restroom?