PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Suggestions

mgerbos
03-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Hey Guys,

Just recently got a 2008 21V and the boat I purchased didn't have an anchor. Wanted to get some ideas on what you suggest. Something that will take up minimal space on the boat yet will be readily available when needed. Thanks.

blackout_58
03-18-2013, 04:43 PM
In my opinion, the Box anchor is a must as it holds much better than the first mushroom style anchor that I bought. They can be a little pricey, so it will depend on how much you want to spend or if you are handy and want to build your own. Goodluck.

wotan2525
03-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Danforth anchors are the best. It may depend on the bottom of the lakes that you use -- but Danforths w/ the appropriate amount of chain are the king as long as the bottom is not completely rocky.

michael hunter
03-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Go over to bass Pro and get a couple small Danforth anchors around 15 dollars apiece . Make sure you also get 2 chains and rope. I carry 4 75' ski lines that double for anchor line. You probably wont use more than 75' each. I got a anchor buddy last year it works great I will never be without one again.

tg0824SSVGG
03-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Box anchor is expensive, but it's what I carry in my 08 24 SSV. I do have a small danforth anchor as well that I bring, but the box can't be beat for the places I boat.

What are the conditions where you are? The answer to your question varies as to what your conditions are.

Todd

TitanTn
03-18-2013, 08:23 PM
I agree with the other guys. It depends on what the bottom is, but typically a Danforth is your best option. Somewhere between 3'-6' of chain rode and then enough line to be 5-7 times the max depth you want to anchor in.

haugy
03-18-2013, 08:50 PM
I run two danforth anchors with chain, and each has about 100+'.

I haven't tried a box anchor but they seem to get good reviews, but they are too much for that.

suprasam
03-18-2013, 08:51 PM
I use a big mushroom for the stern an the bow. It does depend what type of bottoms you're on.....I personally hate the danforth because I seem to find every log to hang it up on and can never seem to them off. Good luck, you might try the cheapest ones first and go up.

TitanTn
03-18-2013, 09:09 PM
I use a big mushroom for the stern an the bow. It does depend what type of bottoms you're on.....I personally hate the danforth because I seem to find every log to hang it up on and can never seem to them off. Good luck, you might try the cheapest ones first and go up.

If you find that you're getting hung up a lot, attach a small line to the reverse end of the danforth. Run it up your main anchor line and tie it off at whatever your maximum depth is (usually about 20'). If you're hung, pull the secondary line and it will pull out backwards. Some never danforths have a sliding ring that accomplishes the same thing.

sybrmike
03-18-2013, 09:32 PM
I like my box anchor, but don't know if I'd pay retail for it (got lucky & found mine cheap). I have the "small" which has been plenty for my Salt. A little hassle to open & close each time, but it folds up flat & stores nicely.

DAFF
03-19-2013, 12:39 AM
I have been using a colding grapnel for years. Sometimes in the sand it might not hold perfectly but all around great for out region of the great lakes. NTM they are cheap!!

tg0824SSVGG
03-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Nga, I have a plastic coated danforth in the garage. I got it for the reason you mention, but it's left from a previous boat and won't hold the 24 footer. Just bringing it up to note the danforth can be coated as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgerbos
03-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Just as a little more information my home lake is primarily clay bottom with several tree stumps. Not uncommon to get caught on them either even in the deeper areas. Depth is generally around 20 to 50 feet. Again keep the advice coming. Would like to go an inexpensive route if possible but want something that will last, be fairly easy to dislodge from something on the bottom, and not take up a lot of space on the boat.

haugy
03-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Just remember you need to have double the length of rope as your depth for a proper anchor.

My two Danforths are different sizes, one is very small, and one is from a 41' cruiser. I've had both hold me with no problems, but you have to have the line to allow them to hold. At the wake tourny's with the huge line-ups everyone knows I've got the anchors. I'll put my big one off the bow to keep us from drifting into the tourny boat path. Then I'll put the little one WAAAY out off the stern to keep the line from moving from the wake. It's always funny to watch the line move, and I stay in one place.

So make sure you get enough line. Regardless of what type of anchor you go with, too little of line, and it won't matter.

michael hunter
03-19-2013, 04:28 PM
As Rob mentioned the secret to anchoring is the chain and the rode [rope length] 7 times the water depth is normal . If its windy or rough you may need 10 or more times the depth. 6-8 feet of chain makes all the difference in setting an anchor. I have not had much success with the rubber coated danforth . It pulled out on me a couple times I ended up giving it to a boater that didn't have any anchor.

TitanTn
03-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Absolutely Michael. You can sometimes get away with a smaller scope (the angle of the rode) if you're using a good length of chain, but if you put out enough line you can hold almost any position.

The toughest time I ever had anchoring was in 18' of water in downtown Chattanooga (stayed there overnight to watch the fireworks show). They were letting the water out of the dam to control upstream flooding and the current was 10-12 mph. Most people would drop their anchor off the bow and by the time it hit bottom, it was 50' behind the boat. So they'd back up 10-15 feet and tie it off. It obviously wouldn't work. We threw our anchor out in front and reversed hard so as to not get the anchor line wrapped around the prop (it happened to a bunch of people). I ended up putting out 225 feet of line to get a 10:1 scope. With a water depth of 18' and my pulpit being another 4' off the water, I needed at least 220 feet to be at the 10:1. People were re-anchoring all evening. Mine never budged. I had people coming up all night and asking me if I was tied to the bridge or something, or if they could tie off to me. I like the danforth.

Here is a visual explanation of scope.

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/anchorscope.gif

haugy
03-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Yeah my post should have meant more. I've got over 150' on one line, and a whole helluva lot on the other (never measured.)

NorCalPR
03-20-2013, 01:01 AM
I run an anchor like this

http://www.amazon.com/Unified-Marine-50073770-Anchor-Coated/dp/B0019LYCLM/ref=pd_sbs_auto_3

Sometimes it's sandy on the bottom, or shale rock on the bottom. Either way it grips.

I carry two. I also have it on a anchor bungee. It really takes the shock out of the line...