PDA

View Full Version : purchasing 98 saltare or 99 launch

txpaulc
03-18-2013, 08:51 PM
I would like some comments from owners of both of these awesome boats. I had a ts6, which I had to retire a few years ago. I am excited to be trying to choose between a 98, 350ci mpi saltare and a 99 launch. I have not had the pleasure of skiing behind either of these boats. I plan to use it for everyone from my toddler nieces and nephews, and eventually my grandchildren, to my 20 year old boys, to myself (45), and my older siblings. I enjoy all activities behind the boat. I do not want to give up slalom and barefooting for wake or boat size. I am confident that the launch will perform well for wakeboarding, slalom and I would think barefooting as well. Can anyone comment on the saltare? It looks like a very comfortable ride, and I have to belive supra would not build it if it could not obtain barefooting speeds. It has a fuel injected mercruiser 350. Are there good places out of the way to put some ballast bags in the saltare if desired?

Thanks!

sybrmike
03-18-2013, 10:40 PM
Since my Salt is 9 years older and far from stock, I'm afraid my experience won't be of much help. However, if the 98 still had the shallow angled rear seats, then hiding ballast will be a challenge - maybe 3-400lbs in the ski locker and 4-500lbs under the playpen, anything more will be on the floor. I changed my interior layout & can hide 2000lbs - when loaded, it throws a sac'd v-drive sized wake. My older Salt has a tweaked 454 and aftermarket prop & will hit mid 40's mph even loaded with people & gear, but don't know how a newer 350mpi will do for footin'? With the wakeplate down, the slalom wake is decent at 30+mph but will never be confused with a tournament boat wake. I've got a few years on you & still manage to dip an elbow from time to time - the wake isn't that tall, but pretty meaty & hard to slice through even on edge. That said, I love my Salt & it's great for me, my family, & our wants/needs - I have seating for 9-10 & can still ski, board, or surf (and I just prefer DD over VD). It's not the ideal boat for any one thing, but a good compromise for most. Good luck deciding which boat will be right for you.

DAFF
03-19-2013, 12:31 AM
If the prices are conditions are comparable I would more than likely go with the Launch. In the older wooden stringer boat line up the Salare is the king with respect to almost everything other than salom. My major reasoning of choice is the ergonomic features and balast positioning. Having owned a TS6m, Sunsport and lastly the Launch I can truly say I loved all three in different ways but the Launch is one great all around boat.

This is always a good thing to do when shopping for a boat. Bring the kids and wife and invite everyone onboard to get a true feeling of how the boat will feel loaded up with people. While a boat might seem roomy with two when a croud is onboard things can change quickly. I would also post a few pics for every one to critique each of your choices. Would anyone know if boat boats of this era would be built in the same mannor structurally?? There is a huge difference between wooden stringer and newer composite construction, just wondering when Supra changed the building techiques.

cadunkle
03-19-2013, 09:23 AM
I have an '89 Saltare and not certain if the hulls are the same though they do look the same from pictures. I believe the smaller/lighter Launch will produce a better slalom wake and assuming the same engine be capable of higher speeds. I don't slalom, but the Saltare wake seems to flatten out at higher speeds (32+). It's not a TS6m/Prostar/whatever and will never produce a slalom wake like those small tournament boats will. I've never had complaints about slalom wake, but the handful of people I've pulled on a ski are mostly casual skiers used to I/Os with big washy wakes.

I would be concerned with barefooting with a small block Saltare. My '89 with 454 will do 48-50 MPH GPS depending on conditions. A small block will not match those speeds. Smaller hull and less weight is the way to go if you're primarily interested in slalom and barefoot performance. Your kids will like the Saltare wake for wakeboarding though, particularly with a little weight.

DAFF, boath those boats should be all composite. I believe it was '92 or '93 when Supra changes to composite stringers. The giveaway is the round windshield will indicate composite stringers. I've heard people say on this forum there were some round windshield wood boats or square windshield composite boats during the changeover year but never seen an example of either. Buyer beware, but 98 or 99 will both be all composite.

haugy
03-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Realistically you are looking at two different ages in the Supra line up. 1998 was the last year for the "old school" design. The Saltare was the biggest boat available. 1999 Supra came out with the Launch and Santera, all new models. The Supra line changed in their appearance and style. Both boats you are looking at are composite design (no wood).

The Launch which is only 20' versus 22' for the Saltare is much lighter (500lbs lighter) with a newer designed hull. The Salt, while a personal favorite, will ride more rough than the Launch. The Launch with it's lighter designed hull and shape will provide a better ride while cruising. At that weight, the engine is just right. I've been behind a 2000 Launch many times. It will have no problem providing you a great slalom wake, and can definitely haul you barefooting. Is it your Comp? NO. But that boat was built for one purpose, extreme speed and handling with almost no wake. That's like going from a Ferrari to a Porsche Panamera. The Porsche is bigger, a bit heavier, and feels like a barge. But it can still perform it's requirements.

The Salt will be able to get you up to slalom speed and barefooting speed, but maybe not as fast as the Launch.

Personally, since I like the old school boats, I would choose the Salt. But in terms of performance, use, ride, and overall enjoyment, I think the Launch will be right up your alley.

Please post pics, we'd love to see them and see if we can help shed some light on the pro's/con's.

skiman_61
03-19-2013, 06:03 PM
So the consensus from what I'm reading on this post is the Launch. I replied to the same question on another part of the page. Please do post some photos. Welcome to the forum btw. Great source of Supra information. Lots of knowledgeable boaters here. Forgive those that sin and put towers on old Salts ;-)

DAFF
03-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Realistically you are looking at two different ages in the Supra line up. 1998 was the last year for the "old school" design. The Saltare was the biggest boat available. 1999 Supra came out with the Launch and Santera, all new models. The Supra line changed in their appearance and style.

Wasn't worried about the wood composite structural differences but rather how the construction of the hull changes in design from 1998 through 1999 with the new Launch Santera boats. Old school composites vs newer boat construction.

txpaulc
03-21-2013, 01:53 AM
Good insight and info. Thanks. I haven't replied quicker as I was researching another launch that popped up on my radar. By chance I changed my search parameters and found a sweet looking 2000 EFI Launch (most Launchs I saw of that age were carburated) near Dallas-4 hours away. Heading up their to hopefully seal the deal after I get off work this morning. I was concerned about the smaller engine in the saltare, so matching a fuel injected 350 with the lighter launch seems the way to go. And, I get to test it without driving 14 hours. Will try posting pics when it's parked in my driveway!

haugy
03-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Wasn't worried about the wood composite structural differences but rather how the construction of the hull changes in design from 1998 through 1999 with the new Launch Santera boats. Old school composites vs newer boat construction.

Umm, I think I'm agreeing with you in my post. ????

To the OP, sweet, good luck.

skiman_61
03-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Good insight and info. Thanks. I haven't replied quicker as I was researching another launch that popped up on my radar. By chance I changed my search parameters and found a sweet looking 2000 EFI Launch (most Launchs I saw of that age were carburated) near Dallas-4 hours away. Heading up their to hopefully seal the deal after I get off work this morning. I was concerned about the smaller engine in the saltare, so matching a fuel injected 350 with the lighter launch seems the way to go. And, I get to test it without driving 14 hours. Will try posting pics when it's parked in my driveway!

Envious of you, I am. Wish I was coming with. Always fun to go boat shopping.

James
03-22-2013, 11:17 PM
I have a 2000 supra launch and I absolutely love it. I don't ski but it will throw a huge wake with 2k lbs in it. It seems so modern that no one would ever guess its a 2000 model. But it's just preference.

DAFF
03-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Umm, I think I'm agreeing with you in my post. ????

To the OP, sweet, good luck.

Yes you were, came accross the wrong way.

Think I am going to start another thread on this topic.