PDA

View Full Version : GPS speedometer

cadunkle
03-20-2013, 08:59 AM
I have Perfect Pass with the paddlewheel, as I ride on a tidal river so there's always a current and it's always changing. My remaining speedometer is just about worthless as the pitot gets clogged so frequently as to make it unusable. I've been thinking it would be nice to replace the Airguide with a GPS speedometer so I can have speed over water at low speed from the PP and GPS for higher speed... and also use the GPS to calibrate the PP at slack tide. Wouldn't be a true speed over water but the Airguide is worthless with a plugged pitot anyhow.

I see there are GPS conversions for the Airguide and parts available to restore them (http://www.classicboatwork.com/classicparts/gauges/airguide/agr/agr.html). Anyone tried this? I was gonna order it until I saw that it is not accurately calibrated to the dial. It will be off either a couple MPH at low speed or a couple MPH at high speed. To me this seems to defeat the purpose of the GPS, and I'd rather not spend all that money to have a speedo that is not accurate at all speeds. Of course it would be better than a plugged pitot and non-functional speedo all the time, and I'm mostly a purist so prefer to keep things as original as possible while improving functionality. My boat is a tool first and foremost, and a classic ski boat second.

The other option I see is Livorsi Ski GPS (http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/gps_ski.html). It would not be a perfect match or as nice as the original Airguides, but then again the PP gauge doesn't exactly look at home in an '80s ski boat either.

Anyone know of other GPS speedometer options appropriate for our boats? Most of what I see is high speed speedometers without large easy to read graduations for typical water sports speeds. I don't want or need an 80+ MPH speedometer. 50 MPH is fine, 60 MPH would be nice but not necessary. Thoughts?

2500HD
03-20-2013, 02:21 PM
To be honest I have just been using the GPS on my phone. I use ulysse speedometer app.

cadunkle
03-20-2013, 03:13 PM
I use the Speedometer application on my phone as well, just to calibrate PP for paddle wheel and RPM/slalom mode and the Airguide when I'm at the lake where the pitot won't get clogged easily. Prefer to have a functional in dash speedometer though. The PP paddle wheel is not accurate above 30 MPH or so.

2500HD
03-20-2013, 04:56 PM
found this
http://nauticlaugic.com/airglide.html

CornRickey
03-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Convert your PP to a Star Gazer

2500HD
03-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Convert your PP to a Star Gazer
when your on a river you want the paddle wheel. It gives you your speed with the current. In other words if you have a current of 5 mph and you set your stargazer to 18mph your wakeboarder will actually be doing 23mph in the water. hope that makes sense.

86 century
03-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Talk to pp they have a program available that lets you chose where you get your speed reading from.
The way I understand it its simply a software interface between the paddle wheel and gps system.

CornRickey
03-20-2013, 11:53 PM
when your on a river you want the paddle wheel. It gives you your speed with the current. In other words if you have a current of 5 mph and you set your stargazer to 18mph your wakeboarder will actually be doing 23mph in the water. hope that makes sense.

and he said its not working for him.

2500HD
03-21-2013, 08:57 AM

actually this is what he said
I have Perfect Pass with the paddlewheel, as I ride on a tidal river so there's always a current and it's always changing. My remaining speedometer is just about worthless as the pitot gets clogged so frequently as to make it unusable. I've been thinking it would be nice to replace the Airguide with a GPS speedometer so I can have speed over water at low speed from the PP and GPS for higher speed... and also use the GPS to calibrate the PP at slack tide. Wouldn't be a true speed over water but the Airguide is worthless with a plugged pitot anyhow.

cadunkle
03-21-2013, 09:30 AM
found this
http://nauticlaugic.com/airglide.html

Cool. This looks the same as the Classic Boat Works conversion, though the instructions for this include a section to calibrate at 5 MPH increments so the conversion mechanism knows where each MPH is on the gauge face. I emailed NauticLogic to see if this is the same as the other and if it's accurate throughout the whole range. If so, this may be the hot ticket as I'd definitely prefer to keep the Airguide to keep that bit of originality.

I see NL also sells a few different GPS speedometers, the Medallion looks easy to read and I don't think would be terribly out of place in my dash. So at least there's a few more options on the table.

cadunkle
03-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Talk to pp they have a program available that lets you chose where you get your speed reading from.
The way I understand it its simply a software interface between the paddle wheel and gps system.

This would not work for what I want to do. I want to be able to see both the paddlewheel and GPS at the same time, in part to be able to use the GPS to calibrate the paddlewheel and RPM modes of the PP when it's slack tide and there is no current though also to just have a nice set of speedometers that just work at all times without having to select one or the other. Paddlewheel for speed over water and GPS for speed over land. Heck I'd be happy with a pitot speedo that works, but just they clog all the time and become sluggish/delayed or just don't work at all. Thanks for the idea though.

cadunkle
03-21-2013, 09:49 AM

2500HD is correct. I never said the paddlewheel is not working for me. I chose the paddlewheel PP over the GPS PP because I'm usually on a tidal river. Normal currents range from 0 MPH to 7 MPH and because it's tidal it changes constantly throughout the day, reverses direction, etc. I also typically ride on stretches of river not more than 3/4 mile long so I can hit the wake a few times then turn around, hit it a few times, turn around. All the turnarounds are tiring but that's the nature of this area where the flat water is. That would mean every minute or two when I turn around if using stargazer my speed over water would fluctuate tremendously if tide is in full swing. Been there done that and it makes a huge different in feel and how you ride, so I prefer a consistent speed over water.

edski
07-18-2013, 10:26 PM
GPS upgrade for vintage Teleflex Speedo - Used Nautic Laugic for a GPS upgrade conversion on my Teleflex speedo and worked great. Due to the age (1998) I shipped my speedo head to Cary at the factory, who matched specs between the new GPS conversion processor and my speedo head. Accurate digital speed input, using my original speedo! NICE! All instruments match and work. Also matched the wire harness connectors to back of my speedo. Installed in 15 min. Highly recommended!