PDA

View Full Version : light set up ????

Jdm89supra
03-22-2013, 11:53 PM
I was thinking of putting a light set up on my tower. I really don't like the light bars that are out their and they cost like 250 and up. didn't know if anyone else has put them on or even if they are use full. I have a big air h20 tower and I have two custom tower speakers and don't have room for a light bar. I can mount lights straight to the tower only if that's my only option don't want to just start punching holes in my tower. or I can mount them into the speakers and run them. if anyone has done this please through out some suggestions. I will post a pic in a min so yall can see what I am working with.

Jdm89supra
03-22-2013, 11:59 PM
Not the best pic

jonyb
03-23-2013, 10:13 AM
You can put a light bar above the tower. That's what I did on my Supra, but without good lighting, it's a waste of money. They just shine into nothing.

Jdm89supra
03-23-2013, 03:22 PM
You can put a light bar above the tower. That's what I did on my Supra, but without good lighting, it's a waste of money. They just shine into nothing.
see the lighting is my concern. i live in nc and our lakes are power plant lakes they stay hot early morning and late evening its like dense fog. what type of lights do people use. most of these lights out their on light bars are like fog lights for a car 30 feet at most those wont work. i have seen people retro fit 100 watt house floods or spot lights to their tower with mounts. i was just wondering if anyone has ran into this issue or what type of lights people are running

jonyb
03-23-2013, 03:47 PM
A lot of the light bars out there that are sold to be put on boats only have an automotive type driving light. Mine had 5, and without something to reflect against, you couldn't even tell they were on. I think someone should try a 40" or 50" dual row LED light bar. I sell Rogue and Vision X, and another cheaper brand, and these things are very bright. I think they'd be a lot better, but would still need something to reflect off of.

Jdm89supra
03-23-2013, 06:33 PM
and I would be open to using led light bars I have seen them and they are bright. but don't they cost like 200 and up

jonyb
03-23-2013, 10:19 PM
40's and 50's are $500 and up. You said you wanted light.....

DAFF
03-23-2013, 10:51 PM
How about something like this... Might be overkill with two but you want light ??? They do make 3 and 4 module ones too.

http://www.soundoffsignal.com/product/5-module-4000-lumen-scene-light

Jdm89supra
03-23-2013, 11:09 PM
good greff 500 bucks that's nuts. for lights yall might think im crazy but we use high pressure sodium for bow fishing and im thinking on building a light bar with two 150s in it out the back and one out the front. they are like 7-8 thousand lumans each and the yellow light cuts the fog really well. they only pull 1.6 amps each and I might put them on an enverter.

CornRickey
03-23-2013, 11:23 PM
Aren't they 120 volt?

Jdm89supra
03-23-2013, 11:34 PM
yep 800 watt inverter and they work great. im just concerened on how heavy they are. the only reason I need that much light is when our air temp drops to in the 60s its so thick with fog you cant see ten feet infront of your boat. better yet the shore

jonyb
03-24-2013, 08:42 AM
The lights you speak of for bowfishing may be good, but remember, they only shine down on the water, not for a long distance.

the lights I mentioned are 12,500 to 15K lumen, 120W. They may not be perfect for teh situation, but should be better than the cheap light bars that people have been installing. I'm putting a 40" on my Can Am Commander this week, I'll go out in the woods and take some pics of the light in an open field.

haugy
03-24-2013, 03:00 PM
We use the LED light bars like John is talking about for our off-road vehicles. Let me tell you, you don't want to be in front of the vehicle running those bad boys. They are BRIGHT!!!! I will be getting light bars for my CJ for the immense output, and low power usage. I've thought about putting one on the tower of the Supra, but I'm still working on how to make it look clean. Most LED light bars are black and it would stand out on my polished tower. If I can figure out a clean way to install them on my tower so you don't notice them, I would be all over it. They have a good 40-50 yard throw of light. And that's not where the light stops, that's just where it's immensely bright.

If you do go with lighting systems I strongly suggest LED's. The power draw and output put anything to shame currently. They also have 4" LED pods that you can buy from the same places that could mount in a current Light bar setup that you have on your tower. Super bright, fit in your current setup, and look great.

Jdm89supra
03-24-2013, 03:24 PM
yea im dealing with the same issue on making them look clean on the tower. my tower is black but still don't want them to really stand out. I have also come to the conclusion if im going to buy led its going to be over kill just for the simple fact of in certan situations on out lakes you don't know what you are going to get into

jonyb
03-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Haugy, I can set you up with a white Rogue light bar.

JDM, a single row bar won't sit nearly as high.

haugy
03-25-2013, 09:03 AM
yea im dealing with the same issue on making them look clean on the tower. my tower is black but still don't want them to really stand out. I have also come to the conclusion if im going to buy led its going to be over kill just for the simple fact of in certan situations on out lakes you don't know what you are going to get into

Actually since it's black that's perfect. You can mount them on the front of the tower, so they don't stand above or below. Only way to see them is the side profile. They aren't big so you could mount it up there. I think you'd be blown away by the light output.

And idea I had was a quick release mount. Some sort of quick clamp, and then have the wiring harness clip in and out. That way if I want I can throw up a light bar real fast and clip into the power. There when I need, clean when I don't.

Haugy, I can set you up with a white Rogue light bar.
JDM, a single row bar won't sit nearly as high.

You sell them in 18's? 20's are too big for where I need them, and I think 12's won't be enough.

Jdm89supra
03-25-2013, 11:36 AM
That will work and I like the idea of quick conects

haugy
03-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Yeah I'm trying to google some ideas. Most of the quick connects don't have a flange or surface to mount something to.

So fare the best I can come up with is this. You could leave the brackets on the tower, and it would be two thumb-screws to attach it to the tabs.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gGOz4Rf4L._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Or you could weld two tabs then just run a pin through them. See this image, just remove the two round pieces.

http://www.appliedracing.com/roll-bars-cages-and-components/images/018881_LG.jpg

svahle
03-25-2013, 02:07 PM
I have an LED bar on my Polaris RZR. It is crazy bright. I bought it here:http://www.tribalwhipsstore.com/main.sc. You can pick the size. They have some slick clamps too depending on the size of your tower tubing. Another option you might consider for a clamp is a motorcycle exhaust hanger (for a harley or other cruiser). They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

If fog is the reason for lighting, I think you'll want your lights mounted low on the tower. Having them at the top is just going to light up the fog without really improving visibility.

Here is a pic of my light bar. :cool:
http://i.imgur.com/eeavuAS.jpg (http://imgur.com/eeavuAS)

big2eers
03-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Sorry to change the subject but how about an led underneath the swim plateform?
Has anyone done that?

Jdm89supra
03-25-2013, 07:11 PM
well im glad u asked I was planning on doing that as well but don't know what light to go with

jonyb
03-25-2013, 08:45 PM
You sell them in 18's? 20's are too big for where I need them, and I think 12's won't be enough.

6, 10, & 20.

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/rogue4.html

jonyb
03-25-2013, 08:47 PM
And an idea for clamps:

http://axiaalloys.com/UTV/Can-Am%20Commander/Billet%20LED%20Light%20Bar%20Mount%20for%20Rigid%2 0Ind%20Edge%20Series-Satin-Clear-Black

http://axiaalloys.com/image/cache/data/MODLED-228x228.jpg

haugy
03-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Sorry to change the subject but how about an led underneath the swim plateform?
Has anyone done that?

This has been covered extensively. I recommend searching. There have been many threads about it.

John,
That's a pretty good clamp. But a fast release on it instead of the allen head screw and you'd be set. I think the Rogue's are going to be too much $$$. Sorry man but I have a hook-up for those kind of lights already. And I can get an 18" which would be perfect for my setup.

jonyb
03-26-2013, 10:11 PM
What brand of 18 can you get? I've got 3 brands, and none of them have 18". Rogue/Vision X/Totron.

haugy
03-27-2013, 10:26 AM
John, you have a PM.