PDA

View Full Version : Supra ==== the stringer evolution ====

DAFF
03-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Since the birth of Supra, stringer topics and rebuilds have been very well documented and many early boats have been saved from the grave. To many the 92 edition composite material design was a very important mile stone where the rotting stringer issue was more less eliminated.

This is where things get vague WRT design and compostion. After this benchmark there seems to be little information in changes and techniques in building of structural members of our newer boats.

82-90 all wooden constrution
91-92 composite construction begins, round windshields are good news !!
92-98 Old school boats with composite construction
99- ??? this is where things get very vague

I wonder if others could chime in and help the evolution with pics and more info. Also any design issues known in the newer boats could be doccumented here too and added to the timeline.

haugy
03-23-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure of the question, so I'm going to through out some info and see if it's relevant to what you're asking.

The 99-on point where things get vague is simply put because those years boats haven't had to be pulled apart for rebuilds.

The 82-92's we have lots of pictures of because so many have been rebuilt. And since the hull design and layouts stayed the same in 92-98, just the material used changed, we can visualize and conceptualize what their design looks like. But if a 99-on boat gets damaged enough to require a full body repair, most just scrap it as it's not worth the cost to get it back up to spec.

I do know that the hull designs changed from 98-earlier to 99-on. They also ditched the Kevlar composite laid hull to a full fiberglass design.

DAFF
03-23-2013, 07:42 PM
since the hull design and layouts stayed the same in 92-98, just the material used changed, we can visualize and conceptualize what their design looks like. .

So the composite boats of 91-98 use the wraped glass around composite material rather than wood ?? Thats the answer to my timeline question. For the boats or the 99+ era have a stringer capsule which is much less labour extensive to install in the factory than the older wrapped style.

Going to try to find some pics.

Salty87
03-23-2013, 09:32 PM
too lazy to search....

when did skier's choice purchase supra? that must have had alot to do with the change-over years.

did SC get the old molds? if not, who has them? how cool would it be to see some of the retired hulls back in production?

Adrenalin
03-24-2013, 08:59 PM
I have a 91 pirata and I believe my stringers are composite. How can I verify this? They are still firm and motor bolts are tight. The interior matches the late 90s pirata interior and not the late 80s interior. I believe it is a rare late 91 composite. I am thinking about selling and getting a newer supra if they are wood, and get out of it before it's an issue. If its definitely composite, there is no way it's being sold.

Kma4444
03-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Take an engine mount bolt out and see what it is screwed into. If you are nervous about removing the bolt then that may answer your question. I would also think that if you can get your head down in the bilge and dig around at the rear of the stringers you will be able to see if it is wood back there. From what I've seen it was not unusual for wood to be exposed back by the transom.

Or drill a hole in a stringer, what comes out on the flutes of the drill is your answer. The hole could be filled with epoxy and there you go.

DAFF
03-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Are the seats composite built too in the 92-98 boats or wooden backed.

kvand347
03-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Are the seats composite built too in the 92-98 boats or wooden backed.

I'm pretty sure they are all composite. My seat bases and bench seat including the 3 compartment storage under the bench is all composite. The only wood on the boat that I've found is around the dash area and obviously the teak accents.