PDA

View Full Version : My "NEW" 86 Sunsport

Supra Surfer
03-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Hey guys,

Been reading the forums for a while now and have picked up a lot of great information. Last week I picked up my new 86 Sunsport. Its actually the one that was listed in the for sale forum. I am going to be turning it into primarily a surf boat. I plan to run about 2000 lbs of ballast. Will need to experiment with setup. Going to use Wakemikey's setup as a starting point. The boat needs a new prop and I am trying to decide between the ACME 541 and the ACME 543. Any advice between these 2 would be great. First priority is surf wake. The boat has the standard 351 and 1:1 trans. Also, thanks for all of the great advice on this forum! It really helped me make an informed decision on my purchase.

csuggs
03-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Surfer - Welcome to the forum. I have an 86 Sunsport with 351 and 1:1 Velvet Drive as well. Last year I purchased the Acme 541 (3-blade 13x11.5) and have had great success. The hole shot is like a 4-blade with the top-end of a 3-blade. Also, holding steady at 10mph for surfing is easy. I think the 541 is a great choice.

Clint

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Supra Surfer
03-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the Welcome Clint!
I called Nettle Props and spoke with Robert. He said that both props would work well for my application, but recomended the 543 so that is the one I ordered. I cant wait to test it out. I have to replace the motor mounts first though. I knew when I purchased the boat that it would need a stringer replacement over the winter, but I did not trust the motor mounts so I drilled some holes. The wood has turned into mush. There is no structure left. I use Seacast for the motor mounts and get her on the water for the summer and will do a full rebuild over the winter. I plan on replacing one side at a time. I currently have the motor suspended about 1/4 in above the mount on the starbord side and have completely hollowed out the stringer. All of the wood came out with a shop vac. I will be in FL on vacation this weekend and will pick up my Seacast from the factory to save on shipping. Its going to be an interesting week! Wish me luck.

ckracing
03-28-2013, 06:35 PM
I ordered a 543 last season. Hold on to your hat the first time you hit the throttle. Big improvement in hole shot and I also picked up a little top end from what was on my Sunsport. Money well spent.

csuggs
03-30-2013, 08:05 AM
Ha! I thought I had the same prop as CK so I checked the number on my box and its also a 543. Thought I had the other one. Good choice!