PDA

View Full Version : keel guards

Jdm89supra
03-23-2013, 09:02 PM
i have an 89 conbrio and I was wondering if anyone has used or tried a keel guard. not knowing much about them. I didn't know if they will hold up or just rip right off and be thrown into my prop. the keel of my boat is pretty worn and has a couple of chips from preveus owner. also was wondering if they do what they say by incres fuel milage and do not hurt your handaling.

michael hunter
03-24-2013, 09:57 AM
I doubt it will increase fuel economy . I dont think it will affect handling. It will look ugly so be prepared to take a lot of ribbing if you install one . I recommend getting the gel fixed by a pro and staying off the shore.

Jdm89supra
03-24-2013, 04:51 PM
I had it quoted just because I didn't feel like doing it. the guy offered me a job I thought that was funny. just for the simple fact of all the glass work that had to be done to this boat. back to the point it is a conbrio which already sits low in the water. you only see about 22" of the keel I don't think it will be to noticeable sitting still. now ridding yes. our lake levels fluctuate so much during the winter they are full pool but starting at beginning of may every year as far as I can remember the lake drops 10 feet. all of the marina docks are out of the water if you need gas you must beach it. if you go and get food you have to beach it. so it dosnt leave me much choice. im just wondering if they help or even work

tg0824SSVGG
03-24-2013, 05:37 PM
I have one on my boat. Not because I beach it on purpose, but sometimes you have to, as you stated. On my old I/O boat, I didn't start out with one, and ended up with a lot of a mess on the gelcoat on the bottom.

I had this put on RIGHT away when I bought the boat new. This time I got a white one to go with the white boat.

2500HD
03-24-2013, 08:31 PM
I plan on getting one because i do plan on beaching my boat. we have a cove that we pull into and hang with friends. It is sandy but i want the protection. also when i go camping at flaming gorge we beach it. You can imagine it is hard to get all the gear to shore without beaching.

Jdm89supra
03-25-2013, 12:24 PM
So I just got off the phone with a few company's that make keel guard they have all will not warranty there product if the trailer has a v bunk in the center of the keel wile trailering. However they will warranty it if you modify the v bunk to not touch the center part of the keel or their product while trailering.I thought that was interesting and a need to know

jzelt
03-25-2013, 02:40 PM
I don't beach it for concern of too much damage/stess on the bottom fins, etc. (Not sand, but stone or clay bottom). Having a swim platform gives me an extra 3' or so length, and I only need 3' depth to keep the prop from the bottom. When camping from the boat, I will get it close to shore, jump off with a rope tied to the ski post and swing it around so the platform is close to shore. Unload the boat, then float it off with an anchor off the bow and a rope tied to shore.

SquamInboards
03-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Everywhere I go with my boat I end up beaching it, and I have a KeelGuard branded keel guard on the bow. I put it on so you don't see it when the boat is at rest or idle, and that protects the biggest section of the keel that gets scuffed by sand too. You cannot see it until the boat is on plane, and it matches my gelcoat color nearly perfectly (gray). If you follow the instructions carefully for installation (they're easy but specific) it will be very rugged. We've installed them on lots of boats and never had a problem with a single one.